New guy making the introductions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Poppinfresh

Senior Cook
Found the site last night while trying to find a way to age a prime rib...like the concept, gonna carve out some time to hang around.

Um...me. I'm 28, going through an early midlife crisis :P. I own a small company that assists victims of identity theft and the 25% of the population with inaccurate credit reporting get their credit reports cleaned back up and their lives back in order--I'm sure occasionally I take on a client who just made bad choices and wants out of it but spins a tale of ID theft as well, but such is the nature of the beast. I live in a resort/golf community nestled in the mountains of Central Oregon. Cooking's been a pretty serious hobby of mine for years now--I'd like to kick it up to another level. Fortunately, one of the better culinary institutes in the country is right out here--but unfortunately can't swing the funds for culinary academy...or at least don't know how to, and the one college we have out here doesn't have advisors that really know their stuff other than Pell Grants and Stafford Loans...anyways.

I've got to be a certifiable grillmaster. Smoking, grilling, rotisserie...I am Man Conquers Fire. My other specialties are modern cajun and southwestern; I have a jambalaya that actually won an award a few years back. Lately I've been trying to angle into fine Italian cuisine, though it has been rather hit or miss (baked ziti? Check and check. Spaghetti with meatballs? A bottle of Prego tastes better). I appear to have no skill at baking and pastries, regardless of my handle.

That's about it with regards to cooking.

Last edited:
Welcome to DC, Poppin!! Hope you enjoy it here as much as all of us!!

img_241844_0_33279951b00315ff4946e1b575ba6367.gif

Hey, 'fresh! Welcome to DC...would be interested to hear your jambalaya recipe if you're willing to share. Mr. callie is cajun - I'm a transplanted Kansas girl and LOVE his cookin'!

Hi Poppinfresh,
welcome to DC...Lots of fun, recipes and wonderful people here. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

kadesma:)

Welcome!

Look into culinary weekends and once a week for x weeks classes at various culinary academies. Many offer continuing ed for the serious enthusiast. I take all I can afford, and I'm a semi professional! Find the ones with hands on learning...demonstrations are for shopping malls and TV.

As for the Italian teritory, Lidia Bastianich, Mario Batali, Giada di Laurentis etc. all have great books out there to help you find the touch you like.

Remember, baking and pastry are exact in measurements, ingredients, timing, etc.

so have a great time, and share your experiences with us here!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom