New here and to cooking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

guineapig0121

Assistant Cook
Hello everyone. I am in my 20's and pretty much just starting to cook. I am not very good at it. Last year was my 1st time making a meal and I chose meatloaf. Well, it didn't turn out that good. Recently just got a Crockpot, so Im trying to put that to use. I make chili this weekend. It actually turned out good once we added more things to it since I forgot a can of tomatoes then I added water to it. I couldn't figure out how to mince the garlic. I was supposed to put 2 cloves in, but I only thought there was one piece of garlic in the middle of the bulb and I couldn't find it I ended up throwing both bulbs in the garbage. Now I realize that each clove is a piece of garlic. I guess was a good that I couldn't figure it out, because I would have put 2 bulbs of garlic in it. I know I will be asking tons of stuff here :)

You came to the right place!!! There is such a wealth of knowledge here it's crazy, and we love helping each other!! As you now know, a clove is just one of the individual pieces in the bulb, and you just have to peel it, then chop it fine :) or, you can buy pre-minced garlic in a jar in the produce section. 1 tsp is approximately 1 clove. OR, you can always sub powdered garlic. 1/4 tsp = 1 clove :)

Oh, and for some people, treating a recipe like a chemistry experiment can help them get it right. Read through the whole thing before you start, gather your materials, and double check measurements before you add them. Otherwise, cooking just takes practice. As you cook more, you will learn what works, and what doesn't. And if something doesn't seem to be working, we can always try to help you troubleshoot, too!

Welcome to the forum!

Last edited:
Welcome to DC. When you run into a question like the garlic, just post us here. Someone will be happy to help.

Nice dog!! Not only will someone help, but if you put "URGENT" in your subject, someone will jump right in, before your supper is ruined.

And, there is no such thing as too much garlic! :)

I agree with SG on the garlic:) and putting everything together beforehand, prepping, and setting it aside will definitely be helpful to get started (they call it "mise en place" - and it's one of the best pieces of advice I've had when following a brand new recipe for me). I have a feeling you'll be quite successful:clap:! And remember to have fun while you're at it!!!

Welcome! We'll have you whipped into shape in no time at all! If I'd really never cooked before, I'd stick to recipes to the letter for awhile. Then once you've tried a recipe once, you can branch off, changing it to your taste. Beware of friends who, like me, can be off-the-cuff because we've been cooking so long. I know I'm likely to "tell" someone how to make a dish they enjoyed my house, or even write the recipe from memory. Often this means that I forget something crucial.

If you have a friend who has a specialty you like, if possible and plausible, invite them over or ask to be invited for the preparation, so you can take notes!

Just so you know, you found out that a clove is one section, a head the entire thing when it comes to garlic. Celery is another confusing one. A stalk is the entire thing, a rib is one piece. Anyone else got any basics that are good hints to know when you read a recipe?

Last edited:
Hi Guinea Pig! Welcome! I am new too but have been cooking for about a year and a half. I know just how you feel, because when I started cooking, I thought I could substitute baking powder for baking soda and no one would no the different! (Turns out it messes up your cookies real bad.) Now, I've taken some classes, but still have a lot to learn.

The "urgent" feature is a great tip! I'll try to figure that out - and will probably be using it when I have some kitchen emergencies. I also love how big this place is! Pretty much every cooking and kitchen topic is covered - and then some! So glad to be a part of this community.

Yes this place is huge like never ending :) I just learned something else. I know a whole thing of celery was a stalk, but didn't know a piece was called a rib. I would have had no clue what that ment if I saw that on a recipe. Thanks! Everyone is so friendly and inviteing. At least I am not going to be scared here to ask questions. I am a quite person and I always feel dumb if I don't know something even though I know I shoudln't. It's just kind of how I am. My guinea pigs(I have 6 and 1 dog) eat way better than me. I can't wait to start cooking. Not just on the crock pot, but on the stove to! It is exciting and scary lol

Back
Top Bottom