The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bobrm2

Assistant Cook
Good Evening, I surf in while trying to find out how to thaw frozen chicken, the information is working and I'll have a meal shortly. Recently widowed, I'm trying to learn how to get around the kitchen; some experience over the years, but organization and planning are my downfall. Managing is made a little more difficult as I'm diabetic, and interested in vegetarian meals and preparation.

Best to all

Bob R

Welcome to DC, Bob! Spousal Unit and I are both Diabetic and I'm an RN...so I know a little about it. Any questions, feel free to ask. I know how to cook, too!

Welcome to DC, Bob! Spousal Unit and I are both Diabetic and I'm an RN...so I know a little about it. Any questions, feel free to ask. I know how to cook, too!

You know how to cook? Since when?:ohmy:
Duck & run very fast:-p:LOL:

I'm just kidding. Pri-Fi cooks really good stuff.

I'm diabetic too. And I know how to cook as well. Just ask, and we'll all chime in to help out.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

My problem(s) well one on them is How do you substitute Stevia for say a cup of honey or Brown sugar. Seems like the bulk is lost with the substitution??

Welcome to DC, Bob! Take some time to browse the various sub-threads, jump in with questions, and watch out for the Breville Pie Maker Cult!

My problem(s) well one on them is How do you substitute Stevia for say a cup of honey or Brown sugar. Seems like the bulk is lost with the substitution??

It is indeed lost. So is the syrup texture provided by both honey and sugar in solution. However, Stevia is much sweeter than is sugar, and even honey, and so can be used to sweeten many foods. Gums are often added to help get back some texture, as are gells, such as plain gelatine.

If a recipe really needs that syrupy texture (like sticky many pastries do), substitute sugar alcohols for the sugar, or dissolve them in water to form a syrup. Use the Stevia to adjust the final sweetness.

You are getting into some adventurous areas when you start learning to substitute other ingredients in place of sugars. Gums, starches (not good for us diabetics), sugar alcohols, soluble fiber, pectin, and gelatine are all used to try and reproduce that unique texture that sugar and sugar-based products add to recipes. It can be done, and done successfully. It just takes a bit of practice. Also, the amounts of each of these will very. Sugar alcohols will act the most like sugars.

Give us recipes and we'll see if we can satisfy your needs.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom