New member--expatgirl

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

expatgirl

Master Chef
Hi! I'm called "expatgirl" because I''m a transplanted Texan to Astana, Kazakhstan, for the next 2-3 years. I had to look it up on the map when I first learned of our posting. It's a huge country east of Russian. I've been here since June and it's been an experience to say the least. Last month we had one week of temps in the minus 30's. Cooking here is challenging to say the least. Please never take your well-stocked American supermarkets for granted anymore!! Cooked Thai food for friends this weekend and spent $2.00 for a lime--it was worth it, they loved the curry, spring rolls, and chicken with basil. I love to cook and spent 8 years in Louisiana where I mastered some mean gumbos and etouffes--even had Cajuns asking for my recipes. Alternately, have had more than my share of "Nutritional Disasters" as well!!! Not sure that I will incorporate much of the local cuisine as horsemeat is considered creme de la creme of all meats here. But I will be open-minded--still have 2-3 years left to go. Anyway, I'm glad to be joining your community and have enjoyed "trolling" your site.

Welcome to DC, expat!!
So, what does expat mean? Never heard the term.
img_250154_0_198c1f7ba2e1fc48ef90efec1062e528.gif

Welcome from Tennessee

:) Such an adventure - I can't imagine being so far from home! Sounds like you plan on making the best of it. Hope the time passes quickly & you're back in the States before you know it! - Glenda (BTW - you will love it here!. . .)

TG, expat is shorthand for ex-patriate - someone who leaves their native country to live elsewhere for awhile, like our new member.

Bienvenue, expatgirl. Are you working for the State Dept, Peace Corps, or what?

mudbug said:
TG, expat is shorthand for ex-patriate - someone who leaves their native country to live elsewhere for awhile, like our new member.

Bienvenue, expatgirl. Are you working for the State Dept, Peace Corps, or what?

Thanks Mudbug!! That makes sense, just didn't know.

Back
Top Bottom