New to this site.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Got Garlic asked What is the signature dish of your region? Well there are many, most of whom deserve to remain undistinguished, but one lesser known that deserves to be distinguished, and is indeed as such in "pudding clubs" is "Sussex Pond Pudding" which bathes a whole lemon in a butter and golden syruup pool inside a baked suet pudding. Eat once and die!

Hi Andrew and welcome to a fellow Brit!

I've heard of Sussex Pond Pudding and it looks pretty intriguing but I've never tried it.

I suppose the "regional dish" of Hampshire is a hog roast (which is definitely a tasty thing!)

Welcome to DC. As a welcome gift, let me give to you my best pancake, and waffle recipes:

Chief Longwind's Pancakes:

Dry Ingredients:
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tbs. Sugar
½ tsp. Salt
1 tbs. Double Acting Baking Powder

Wet Ingredients:
3/4 cup milk
1 large Egg
3 tbs. Cooking oil

Preheat the griddle. Place the dry ingredients into a large bowl and stir together with a wire whisk or mixing spoon. Add the remaining ingredients and again stir until mixed. Do not stir until all the lumps are gone as this will over-mix the batter. There should be small lumps. These will disappear while cooking the pancakes.
Cook over medium heat until the bubbles close slowly as they rise and pop. Do not cook until the bubbles stay open as this will dry out the pancake. And most importantly, Don’t squish them down with your cake turner or spatula. When they are ready to flip, turn them over and cook for about 1 minute more. Remove from the pan and serve immediately. If you must cook up enough for a bunch of people, keep them warm by stacking in a large-rectangular cake pan and placing the pan into a 120' oven covered with a clean kitchen towel.
You can add blueberries to the uncooked batter without changing anything else. However, if you add acidic fruits such as strawberries, raspberries, or pineapple, you will need to add ½ tsp. Baking soda to the batter to balance the acid from the fruit.
The above recipe makes enough pancakes for two people. Yo can easily enlarge the recipe by simply multiplying the ingredients by the same number. That is, if you double the flour, multiply all other ingredients by two.

Chief Longwind's Belgian Waffles

Belgian waffles are traditionally made with a yeast-risen batter. They are very light, and wonderfully fluffy, with a crisp outer texture and soft, moist inner crumb, almost like bread. They are great with syrup, or fruit syrups, or with freshly sliced fruit and either powdered sugar or whipped cream. However you top them, they are delicious.

Ingredients:
2 quarts and one pint of liquid (milk)
2/3 ounce of yeast
¼ cup sugar
7 cups of flour
5 oz of salted butter
1 spoon of cooking oil
4 large eggs
4 oz of sugar (100 gram)
½ tsp. salt

Heat the liquid up until it is very warm to the touch, but not scalding hot. Add the sugar and milk together and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Add the yeast and stir until dissolved. Separate the eggs and place the whites in a glass or stainless steel bow.

Sift the flour into a bowl; sprinkle the salt at the edge of the flour and make a hole in the middle. Slowly poor the milk/sugar/yeast misture into the hole while stirring with a whisk. Stir in the melted butter., where you pour the dissolved yeast and the melted butter. Add the egg yolks and whisk in. Fold the batter from the center to the sides until the thick batter is smooth and somewhat elastic.

Beat the egg whites until soft peaks form, and gently fold into the batter. Cover and let the batter rise until its volume has doubled. Pour enough of the batter into the waffle iron to cover the bottom grids. Close and bake until the waffles are golden brown. Remove when done and place on a wire cooling rack so as to let the steam escape. If you just place them onto a hard surface, the steam will cause the waffles to become soggy.

Tip; For a change of pace, try adding more sweetener to the batter, along with either cocoa powder, or cinnamon and nutmeg, or pumpkin pie spices, etc. I have even added canned pumpkin and the spices for pumpkin pie (cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger). They came out wonderful. So don’t be afraid to experiment.

And, if you want to try something a bit different, decrease the sugar, and add some garlic and Italian herbs and spices. Serve these savory waffles with roast beef and gravy, or chicken, or...

Enjoy.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom