NW IA girl

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeani Sue

Assistant Cook
Hello to all, I really just wanted to know at what temp. do I bake my Boston Butt and for how long? Last time I baked it i think it was about 280 degrees for 8-10 hrs and it was awesome! The bone came right out and "voila" great tasting "stringy" pulled pork! I am glad to be here. I am a past owner or a grocery store and still love to bake and cook. Only 1 thing, I do it for my family when I used to cook for many! I love new ideas "quick" recipes, and easy for the average family. Any one have something great that they'd love to share?:chef:

Hi, Jeani Sue; welcome to DC! I don't know how big your Boston Butt is, but what you remember sounds right, though I'd be likely to go for 300*. I am far from a pulled pork expert, though. I'm sure you will find all the info you need here. Look around--there's lots of recipes.

Hello and welcome to DC.

Boston butt for pulled pork should be cooked low and slow. You had the right idea. I usually do mine at 225-250F. I rub a seasoning mix on the butt and refrigerate it for a day or two then cook it in the oven as described.

You can also consider mopping the butt while it's cooking for another layer of flavor. Some do this and others do not.

what kind of "rub"

Thanks for the input on the AKA "Boston BUtt" I would like to know the "name of the rub" that you put on it? OR is it a combination of your own spices, etc? I am baking this baby on Sat the 2nd so still have time to get it marinated" so to speak. BUrrrr, its mighty cold here 2 above with a wind chill of -7 already. I am glad to be here!:chef:

Welcome from a FORMER Iowan now living in Vegas.

I'm from the Sioux City area and have visited your lovely community many, many times.

I was born in Des Moines, and lived in Bondurant for a year before we moved to Illinois. I had lots of good visits with my cousins there when I was growing up.

Have you ever driven out into the county on a still, hot, humid summer's night, parked in a cornfield, turned off the engine, and listened to the corn grow?
You really can hear it rustling and crackling.

Here's a rub I use for pulled pork. Feel free to modify it to your tastes.

6 TB Dark Brown Sugar
4 TB Essence
2 TB Salt
2 TB Cumin
2 TB Paprika
2 TB Black Pepper
2 TB Cayenne

Boston Butt time

OK! Glad to hear of the former Iowan's YES this area is absulutely awesome and the IA great lakes area just gets better yr after yr. I did the "rub" thing with Cookies "meat seasonings" and i also used the "smoked" concentrated flavoring. I will be an expert after today on cooking it once again. I set the oven at 280 at 6:30 am and leaving the butt(s) there until 3:30 today. I have 40 people coming for dinner. Just family so i am content. Have a great day!:rolleyes:

Awesome butt!

The Boston BUtt was delicious. baked it up until 3:00 pm started it at 6:30. The "blades" came right out and it absolutely fell apart! those of us from IA know the "cookies" brand name when it comes to seasonings and the barbQ sauce. I had cattlemans, famous daves, cookies, and good ol' KC Masterpiece. I love barbq sauce! So for future references 280 degrees for 7 hrs and lower temp to 260 the last hr or . I could have most likely lowered the temp earlier. Hope this was helpful. Jean:chef:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom