Odorus Sauerkraut

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

packerfan

Assistant Cook
New to this site. Am cooking sauerkraut for New Year and want suggestions on keeping the odor down. Please help!

Welcome to DC. :) I guess you could rinse the kraut to cut out some of the the odor.

Are you making it from scratch or just reheating storebought? My husband hates sauerkraut, so I just buy small amounts for myself which I heat by nuking in the microwave. Works great & there's no odor.

Here is one way to eliminate sauerkraut aroma. Since we are probably talking about German fare, accompany the subject matter with a plate of freshly cut limburger cheese. It is certain that there will be no complaints about the smell of sauerkraut as a result.

Rinse it a bit to cut down on the salt. And the way to make sauerkraut quite mild and delicious is long cooking. Even my DH likes it. I put some cut up potatoes and apples and a bit of brown sugar in it. Bake at 300* for an hour (with pork chops).

boufa06 said:
Here is one way to eliminate sauerkraut aroma. Since we are probably talking about German fare, accompany the subject matter with a plate of freshly cut limburger cheese. It is certain that there will be no complaints about the smell of sauerkraut as a result.

:ROFLMAO:

Why is there a limit of atleast 10 characters?

BreezyCooking said:
Are you making it from scratch or just reheating storebought? My husband hates sauerkraut, so I just buy small amounts for myself which I heat by nuking in the microwave. Works great & there's no odor.

I thought it took months to make sauerkraut.

I heard somewhere that burning vanilla candles while you are cooking will cut down on the odor - I tried that with not much success. Is there something about using white vinegar?

Hello and welcome to DC. As far as the Odorus Sauerkraut I would get a fan and put it in the kitchen while you are preparing your meal.

Thanks for all the suggestions - I put kraut and ribs in crockpot for 6 hours and everything turned out delicious. Didn't notice any bad odor.

packerfan said:
Thanks for all the suggestions - I put kraut and ribs in crockpot for 6 hours and everything turned out delicious. Didn't notice any bad odor.

What kind of ribs did you use? Other seasonings? Interesting kraut & ribs.
Is it layered in the crockpot? or kraut on bottom and ribs on top?

packerfan said:

My mom used to make spareribs and sauerkraut, and I loved it! Unfortunately, my husbands have all turned their noses up at the dish, and it isn't something I'd fix for myself, so it's been 40 years since I've had any.

Could you maybe email me a dish of ribs & kraut?

That sounds like a very interesting combination. It is not something I am used to, but I would be interested in trying it.

StirBlue said:
What kind of ribs did you use? Other seasonings? Interesting kraut & ribs.
Is it layered in the crockpot? or kraut on bottom and ribs on top?
I used pork loin country ribs. Add 1 cup applesauce, 2 small onions, 1 tsp garlic powder, salt & pepper to taste. Kraut in bottom of crockpot, browned ribs on top. 6 - 7 hours, no peeking until finished. Yummy!!

packerfan said:
I used pork loin country ribs. Add 1 cup applesauce, 2 small onions, 1 tsp garlic powder, salt & pepper to taste. Kraut in bottom of crockpot, browned ribs on top. 6 - 7 hours, no peeking until finished. Yummy!!

Sounds good to me! I cut up apples in mine so I'm sure the applesauce would do the same thing - what a great idea!!!! The only thing I add to mine that you didn't mention is some brown sugar and juniper berries. That's the way I was taught to cook it at the Culinary Institute of Mom :chef: I remember the smell from her skillet of sauerkraut and ribs cooking all day long - yum! I think she used what is now called Texas style ribs.

Back
Top Bottom