Remember me?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grumblebee

Contest Winner
Anyone remember me? I used to be around quite a bit before but "life" got in the way and I've not been here in a long time. I miss it though and will be here more often now, I think. I forgot how much I love this place!

So where have I been? Well, basically I just did a whole, big career change. I used to be a pre-school teacher, and while I loved it, the wages were very difficult to live off of. Anyway, i have a friend of mine who is a maitre'd in a fine dining establishment. (like a place where a typical bill will be over $600 because of wine and so forth) He suggested I get into being a server because I love food (talking about it, cooking it, etc.) and am very friendly and outgoing as well as the money is very good.

So.. basically.. that is what I am doing now! It's not like a Denny's "do you want fries with that?" type of waitress though. Total opposite. Everything is slow, and steady, and nice and relaxed and upscale. The dishes are amazing and the menu changes daily. I will have maybe 3, 4 of 5 tables a night and that is it... but each one stays over 2 hrs usually and there are multiple courses.

Anyway... I love it! I am making an excellent living now and enjoy being able to see, taste, and talk about food in my career as well. I never, ever would have thought to get into this industry, but I am so glad I did! (and am so lucky to have had the "in" of knowing the maitre'd... as most people in fine dining have to have been in the service industry for YEARS before they will even look at you)

So... that's where I've been! Oh, and I've moved as well. (same city, but still, its quite the ordeal) I've been helping my Mom renovate her house this summer too. Just busy, busy, busy!

How is everyone here? I see some familiar faces, which I'm glad about... Hope you are all well.

Hey Grumblebee, welcome home! We have missed you. There has been some chat recently about bento boxes and you were mentioned.

If I may ask, which fine dining establishment are you working at? You can PM me if you would rather not share that in public. I am very familiar with that city as I have 3 sisters living there and visit often.

Wow Grumblebee, that is an exciting adventure you've been on..Good for you. I'm glad you've decided to come visit more often and look forward to hearing about how things are going. Take care and welcome back.
kadesma:)

:)Glad you are back Grumble Bee!When you get time lets us know what dishes they serve and so on at your new job.JP

Sounds wonderful. Congratulations.

Katie E and I are awaiting your invitation to dine at your fine establishment (as guests of the house, of course).

Please don't keep us waiting. (that's your job).

Welcome home Grumblebee!!! It is great to see you again. Your career change sounds perfect for you.

Welcome back, Grumblebee! It sounds as if all the changes in your life are going well.

I was a executive chef in a very up scale Country club and loved every stressful minute
Glad to meet you and my you enjoy your job as much as I enjoyed mine, I am retired now but still cook. if you have time PM some of your menu items I would like to hear whats going on in the real food world today DH

Thanks. :) I'm glad you remember me. I definitely remember all of you. And IronChef, I like how you referred to me: "That bento chick from Canada." :LOL: That's awesome.

I was a executive chef in a very up scale Country club and loved every stressful minute
Glad to meet you and my you enjoy your job as much as I enjoyed mine, I am retired now but still cook. if you have time PM some of your menu items I would like to hear whats going on in the real food world today DH

Hehe... well, I'm lucky in that I am FOH and our atmosphere is usually pretty laid back and relaxed. It's not often that we are slammed - the kitchen can be sometimes though! I don't usually work the lunch crowd though... i am only there in the evenings... and I know it can be crazy (especially the gardens/patio during summer) FOH as well.

I had THE BEST NIGHT last night. There was a private party that booked the Gallery, which is like our big, nice, beautiful private room upstairs. (the restaurant is located in a big, old historic house) Anyway, the people were SO nice and I got the best tip of my life. I nearly had a heart attack when I pulled the bill for the table though - $1400-ish dollars for a group of SEVEN! I kid you not. They all had the chef's tasting menu ($95 a head) and ordered a bottle of Chateau Palmer (which was a $375 bottle!!!) and Dom Perignon ($300 champagne for dessert) I nearly died.

Anyway, I didn't work today. Monday/Tuesday is actually my "weekend" now, which is funny. Weird how when you work in the hospitality industry Saturday and Sunday is meaningless. There is no more traditional "weekend" any more. Oh well, I still love it! :)

Well, it sounds like you have settled into something extremely rewarding!! Good for you! Good to see you back here too.

Back
Top Bottom