What's up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lytle

Washing Up
Hey guys, I just found this forum and it looks awesome. By far the most active and productive cooking discussion board I've come across in my few days of searching for somewhere to post. Figured I'd give you a little cooking bio on me before I start posting.

I started in the cooking industry in July of 2006, didnt know what I was getting myself in to. Started as a dishwasher at Emerald Lake Lodge in British Columbia. Come January I started doing desserts there. Most of our main desserts came in boxes so I didnt have to do things like cakes and pies, just compotes, ice creams, sorbets, creme brulees, and all the sides and sauces to the main desserts. I trained on the lounge at this time, then was the main lounge cook come May and the busy summertime. Finished up there at the end of August 2007, went back to my home in Ontario and couldn't find a decent cooking job anywhere, ended up at this family restaurant where everything came frozen and boxed, it sucked. So I decided to go to cooking school. I just completed my first year of the Culinary Arts program at the Culinary Institute of Canada, Holland College in Prince Edward Island. Great school, best culinary program in Canada. I am now waiting to go on my internship. I'll be doing that at the Four Seasons in Whistler, BC. The restaurant is called the Fifty Two 80 Bistro, the name is for how many feet Blackcomb Mountain stands above the base of the village. Im stoked about this opportunity, plan on going back when Im done school just a few months before the Olympics are there. Hope to stay with the Four Seasons chain for a long time and travel the world while doing it.

So that's my cooking experience, hope to help you guys with what I already know about food and learn from you guys along the way. I'm a good cook in a professional kitchen but home cooking is a completely different game, don't have the equipment and ingredients I usually work with. See you guys around the boards.

I like to cook it all. No preferences really. Even things I'm not a big fan of like fish I enjoy cooking. I'm best at sauces, vegetable and meat cookery though. Need some work on pastry and baking but still enjoy that, though gluten development can get on my nerves sometimes. Butchery is probably my favorite station in the kitchen, though it can be difficult, especially those **** whole pork loins. Had to battle with them a couple times, got better throughout the days though.

Hey Lytle-welcome to DC!! I joined for help with my cooking, and now I find myself discussing every but cooking!! Great people, always willing to help out.

Glad you decided to join us!!

Back
Top Bottom