Any Cincinnati chili lovers here, Skyline chili question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LEFSElover

Executive Chef
I finally had the Skyline Chili I've been hungering for all these years. I know that the flavor isn't typical and I also know that no one's talking about what I'm tasting in it.
I asked at the restaurant and they said everyone thinks or says they taste cinnamon and maybe chocolate too.
When reading the google copy cat recipes and others on there, I see what I thought was in there. Chocolate, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, allspice, cumin.
Does anyone in here know? If so, could you mention it so I can try to duplicate the recipe here at home. Thank you.

LEFSElover said:
Any Cincinnatti livers here

I left my heart in San Francisco, but my liver in Cincinnati.

I have only had Cincinnati chili once. i tasted a lot of cinnamon. It was also served over spaghetti. I thought it was going to be very strange, but I ended up loving it.

the whole thing I think is being able to find and go to these places that have for so long, been on my to do list, or to do taste.
when my husband and I go on our jaunts together, which is wayyyyy too often, we have the opportunity to do these things I love so much.
I want to make this for him and I will rest assured.
it's gonna be hard to get the recipe just right though.
there are so many complex flavors that aren't typical of chili which maybe is what's captivating me so.

hey Elfie...............
yep, that's one of the ones I was able to bring up when searching.
I pulled up several and think that when times comes or it's cold enough for a blustery weather meal, I'll combine all the ingreds with all the autumn spices that I'd normally use for pumpkin pie and just do chili AND pumpkin pie, that way, if the chili is icky, we'll eat pie!:LOL:
so, so far, these
are in the 'of interest' corner, along with the one you have here............
sorry to be so confusing in this post highlighting everything, didn't know how to do several links without all the highlights:(

I'm in Cincy and I love Cincy chili!!! I think most people that live in Cincy just go to a chili parlor when the craving hits. I have made it several times. My recipe is very similar to this one at Allrecipes

Skyline Chili I - Allrecipes
Although I make mine on the stovetop, not a slow cooker. Our grocery stores sell Cincinnati chili spice packets that make it real easy. There is cinnamon, choc, allspice etc., but I've never put cumin in it.

I work in Cincinnati. I've made homemade Cincinnati style chili before. Just use one of the copycat recipes to try it at home, thats what I did. Did you have a 3 way, 4 way or a 5 way OR did you have a Skyliner?

As a former Cincinnati resident (still in the Greater Cinti area) I always chuckle when people come to town and want to try the chili. Just remember Skyline at 2 am is NEVER a good idea!

I work in Cincinnati. I've made homemade Cincinnati style chili before. Just use one of the copycat recipes to try it at home, thats what I did. Did you have a 3 way, 4 way or a 5 way OR did you have a Skyliner?

As a former Cincinnati resident (still in the Greater Cinti area) I always chuckle when people come to town and want to try the chili. Just remember Skyline at 2 am is NEVER a good idea!
Oh Toots, I had a 5 way LARGE!:wacko:

Check this out LEFSE. Cincinnati chili is one of those things I've never really wrapped my head around - or I guess that would be my taste buds. :rolleyes:

I think the word chili has become meaningless. Everytime I see a recipe for white bean chile I think "duh???"

Yet, the recipe looks interesting and I may try it. I'll just have to find a new name.
:)

OMG, a 5 way large!!! I hope you had alot of Zantac!
Oh no worry. I have a very good stomach. Now Mr. Acid Reflux would have not attempted such a feat. He'd have been awake all night. Plus, the large, I had to get a large for lunch the next day, it served as a two parter meal, and didn't know and don't know when I'll ever get to another Skyline so had to make it worth my while.
And it was...
Check this out LEFSE. Cincinnati chili is one of those things I've never really wrapped my head around - or I guess that would be my taste buds.
Me either I spent some time in Cincinnati and had it many times but just could not get into it.
I think for me, it stems from my favorite food on the earth, the one I want for my last meal, is spaghetti and bolognese sauce with lots of parm on top.
This type chili reminds me [sort of] of the same thing. I used to order spaghetti and chili at Bob's Big Boy almost every time I was there as a young lady with my friends and future husband. He knew that's what I'd order if we went there. It's kinda like so many in here probably like mussels or clams or calamari type foods. I do not.
So it's a preference thing. I am easily amused with food. I adore food. Can't eat things like this often or won't fit into my 'Justin's'. But every so often, I do treat myself and then I go back on the wagon. I had two extra large sweet teas too:ohmy:

Last edited:
Here is the recipe..
Cooks.com - Recipe - Cincinnati "Skyline" Chili

Personally... I can't stand the stuff. The overbearing cinnamon flavor turns me off.
One of the ones I highlighted up top is from Cooks.com, this one is similar I see with the addition of 1 t cinnamon whereas the one up top has 2 t cinnamon.
See Jeff, as I stated, you can't stand the stuff but I found it and the experience of finally getting there, fabulous.
Now, I've also been to The Lady and Sons, rented a car and drove gazillions of miles just to eat there, after wanting to for a hundred years. Glad I went cause I finally got that experience checked off my to do list, but the 3 page letter I wrote said it all:censored:. So all these jaunts I do are not always worthwhile, glad this one was.

One of the ones I highlighted up top is from Cooks.com, this one is similar I see with the addition of 1 t cinnamon whereas the one up top has 2 t cinnamon.
See Jeff, as I stated, you can't stand the stuff but I found it and the experience of finally getting there, fabulous.
Now, I've also been to The Lady and Sons, rented a car and drove gazillions of miles just to eat there, after wanting to for a hundred years. Glad I went cause I finally got that experience checked off my to do list, but the 3 page letter I wrote said it all:censored:. So all these jaunts I do are not always worthwhile, glad this one was.

You made it an adventure! very cool. I am not saying its bad, just bad to me....glad you enjoyed it.

:) I think it's what you grow up with most of us know chili to be the Texas style chili and in New Mexico it's an entirely different type of chili which is red or green but nothing like Texas chili. I do know that Cincinnati even has chain restuarants like fast food places that sells this particular chili as their main product.

IMO good Cincinnati chili doesn't make you stop and immediately think cinnamon. It should be much more subtle then that. A recipe with 2 teaspoons of cinnamon! Egads! Sounds like a restaurant size quantity.

I love chili in all it's translations. I have to admit, when I first moved to Cincy I didn't get it. Now I crave the stuff (in moderation!) and would truly miss it if I relocated!!! Texas Red, Chicken Chili, Cincinnati chili . . . love it all!

Back
Top Bottom