Chili

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

donnapete

Assistant Cook
:chef:Hello, I need a chili recipe that is wonderful. I want to make a chili that a little differnt than usual, but, still has a great taste. Please send me a few recipes.
Thank you

You'll do better if you Google "chili recipes" and pick one you think you'd like. You do need good chili powder and for me, masa flour is a must as a thickening agent. Good luck.

Gosh, I did not even know we had the whole forum devoted to making chili. One of this days I need to learn how to make chili. Of course I have this added chalange, no pork, no dairy of any kind and also I would like to do it in the crock pot, simply because I never have time.

Charlie, those challanges are not hard to overcome. Many chili recipes can actually be kosher and a crockpot is a great way to make it.

I don't doubt, I just need to find time to do it.

Here is the quick chili fix I use on days when I don't have a lot of time or energy ... start to finish only takes about 15-20 minutes.

Next time you are at the grocery store pick up 2-lbs ground beef (coarse chili grind is best), 1 8-oz can tomato sauce and 1 package Carroll Shelby's Chili Kit:

carroll-shelby-chili.jpg

You brown the meat and drain the fat, add the spice packet, tomato sauce and water ... simmer for about 15 minutes. If you want it thicker, add the masa flour and cook 5 more minutes - want it hotter add some of the cayenne pepper.

I usually gussy this up a bit by removing the meat after browning with a slotted spoon and drain all but about 1 tablespoon of the grease and then toss in a diced up medium onion and saute just until it begins to color, add a tablespoon tomato paste and cook that for a minute or two, then add the meat back to the pot, add the other ingredients and a 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes (drained). Then, I let it simmer for 30-minutes to an hour - stir every few minutes to keep it from scorching. The extra simmering time seems to make it even better.

Back
Top Bottom