Chili Challenge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Rocklobster said:
My secret ingredient is about a tsp of cocoa powder. And, like Wisk, I add some brown sugar. Sometimes I also add a piece of bacon and let it cook with the chili. Then, take it out before serving.

Just read this thread. Great one I may add. I was thinking the whole time that no one had mentioned the cocoa until I read this one. I also add cocoa and brown sugar! I will also use bacon next time. Great idea! I can't wait to see how your contest turns out PF. we will all have to make a pot the way you end up making it so we can see how it tastes. :)

ha ha ha ... Cute joke. Thanks for posting.

I have also seen chili with a few other sweet items: maple variety or molasses, brown sugar and cacoa --- or cocoa powder or chocolate ...

Spices could include: chili, smoked paprika sweet or piquant and a cinammon, allspice and cumin spice blend.

Margi.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies and the two stories.

Parameters: We cook it at home and take it in, most activities at the facility only take about an hour.

We were told to make our best chili and remember the residents will be eating it. The CNA's are up in arms:ROFLMAO:

So, we can handle spice, but no "Molten Lava."

I have plenty of beef on hand, different dried chilis, can make my own chili powder as I have cumin, etc. on hand.

El Pato tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, chipotle in adobo. I believe i have everything we could possibly include except fresh ingredients.

I need to run back through and write up a list of the ingredients (secret and otherwise) already mentioned. This is taking place in June, so we have some time to work out a recipe. Keeping in mind that I will be cooking our virtual recipe. A dry run would be a good idea, too! Besides, I love chili!

Epazote and cocoa powder for me, along with chipotles in adobe and ground cumin, all of which have been previously mentioned. Ya gotta have the beans!

PF,

What are the parameters of the cook off? Is this a bring it in and judge it, or are you required to make it on the spot? How long do you have to prepare it? Is there any rules about ingredients? Anything you have to include (like LFTB :mrgreen:) Is there something you can't include (like LFTB :mrgreen:)?

Here's the Texas rule book (and it is a book):

http://www.chili.org/documents/CASI%20Official%20Rule%20Book.pdf

Note particularly, no beans, rice or other such filler. Contestant may be asked to taste their own product prior to the judge tasting it, and refusal is disqualification. And discharging firearms or explosions, as part of the preparation or otherwise, is prohibited.

oh my lord..... the call buttons will be on overdrive :ermm:

PF, I may have overlooked it, but who will be the judges? All staff and the residents or just one or the other?

Our judges will be the ex-DON who is now a District Supervisor, the Main District Manager and the Head of the Therapy Department.

This is not being run like a sanctioned chili cook-off. This is a friendly challenge with co-workers. Do our best chili, bring it for judging and everyone sits down to eat. I will be competing with some excellent cooks, the Filipino nurses will be on their best game. It should be fun and I'm hoping we can create a kick-butt chili.

Dried Chilies I have on hand:
Cascabel
Sanaam
Dried and Ground Chipotle
Dried Jalapeños
Ground Cayenne
Smoked Spanish Paprika
Hungarian Paprika
Crushed Red Pepper

I also have Ground and Seed Cumin, Chipotles in Adobo, Adobo seasoning, several chili powders, Hatch's Green Chilies (canned)

Yes, I would like to use beef cut into cubes.

Green Bell Peppers?

Definitely chunk beef instead of ground beef. Otherwise it's just a hot dog topping. Then... ;)

Nix the bell peppers. Not chili.

It's not chili if there's no beans. It's just a hot dog topping then.

I'm not from Texas but I cannot condone chili with beans. Beans are a filler. No good chili has fillers.

Please, I do not want this to devolve into a debate about whether or not chili contains beans.

Thank you, Andy,

Consensus on chiles, spices to use and fresh ingredients.

Tomatoes, tomato sauce or fresh tomatoes. I do have two large cans of El Pato tomato sauce.

I use a combination of cubanelles, poblanos and jalapenos for fresh peppers. Chipotle in adobo, chili powder, ancho powder, smoked paprika for dried/ground peppers.

Onion, garlic, cumin, Mexican oregano, salt and pepper are my seasonings.

I use canned tomato sauce at the ratio of 8 ounces per 2 pounds of meat.

I thicken with masa at the end.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom