Chili Help please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LT72884

Head Chef
So our work is doing a chili cook off and i wnat to participate. I have never cooked chili and i would like to make a pot or two. I need a dang good recipe that has tons of meat and is simple and tastes great.

Thanx in advance

This thread has been moved to the Chili Sub-Forum in the Soups, Stews & Casseroles Forum.

LT - look at the top of this page and you will see a line that looks like this:

Discuss Cooking > Specific Chat & Recipes > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Chili

Just click on the word Chili (at the top of the page) - it's a link and will take you into the chili forum. You'll find all kinds of recipes and ideas.

Get creative. Use fresh ingredients. At so many chili cook offs I have been to, the chilis I liked were made with fresh peppers etc. So many rely on powdered spices etc.

You can get as little or as much heat out of the chili as you want my varying the peppers you use. Many of the chili peppers are very mild, some are very hot. I never use something along the lines of an Habenero due to the extreme heat. As a general rule the larger the pepper the milder the heat..

Use at least as much pepper by volume as you do onion. Use either cubed up pieces of meat or Shreaded meat. It makes a much better chili than ground meats. Personally I start with Sirloin and cut into 1/2 to 3/4" cubes.

Use dice tomatoes in the sauce, get good tomato juice to thin the chili to consistency. Are you allowed beans?? Do you want beans?? Some cook offs allow them, many don't ....

Don't be affraid of the chili powder, and Louisiana hot sauce. They provide flavors you need in the chili..

The biggest thing--just step in and start cooking. With the basic ingredients above you can't go wrong...

I think I may try a chili recipe this w/e. I'll let you know if it turns out ok, and what I use.

ok cool nachef. it doesnt have to be a winner, since they are not giving prizes. its just for fun.

I got into chili a few years back. Before then I just was intimated by it. It's funny because I cook a lot of Indian food and that has similar spices but chili was intimidating.

I looked at several recipes and they all had a few twists here and there but were pretty much the same.

The few touches I made to make my own were as follows:

Got a few different chilis (dry variety) - I used arabol, ancho and an indian chili from the Kashmir region (called Kashmiri Mirch). It's highly aromatic and not very spicy and it gave it my own touch.

Used whole spices - Dry roasted cumin seeds, corrainder seeds, black peppercorns, stick of cinnamon and also toasted my chili's to ensure they were toasty and crunchy.

I then grinded all my spices in a coffee grinder to make my spice mix. I don't like to soak my chili's the roasted ones taste better in my opinion

Then I followed the basic chili recipe. I like beans in my chili for the added nutritional value and I like the darker beans so I used black beans. Finally I finished it with some brown sugar and a good quality unsweetened cocoa powder (to add the slight mole touch).

I also like fresh tomatoes so I used a lot of fresh tomatoes along with a good quality canned version.

dang son. Yakuta. thats sounds dang good. i have tons of peppers i have grown in my garden and they need to be used. ill probably use them also.

I just won a Chili cook-off with this recipe. I think this chili improves with age. I made it the day before the cook-off so the flavors could blend and chili thickens even more. This is a little spicy, but nobody complained it was to spicy. Just that it was meaty and very good.
Enjoy! Debbie.

454 CASULL CHILI

4 pound(s) BEEF CHUCK POT ROAST; Very Lean, Cut Into Small Cubes.
2 can(s) BEER
OIL
2 cup(s) ONION; Chopped.
2 cup(s) (2 large) GREEN BELL PEPPER; Chopped.
2 pound(s) GROUND BEEF; Lean.
4 tablespoon(s) CHILI POWDER; Or To Taste.
3 1/2 tablespoon(s) CUMIN; Ground.
4 clove(s) (large) GARLIC; Minced.
4 can(s) (10 ounce each) ROTEL DICED TOMATOES AND GREEN CHILIES
46 ounce(s) TOMATO JUICE
1 tablespoon(s) SALT
2 tablespoon(s) BROWN SUGAR
2 can(s) (4 ounce each) DICED GREEN CHILIES; Mild.
3 can(s) (15.25 ounce ea.) KIDNEY BEANS; Drained, Optional.
_____

Marinate cubed roast beef in beer for 1 hour.
In large pot, cook ground beef, onion and garlic.
Drain off any fat.
Remove ground beef to a bowl and set aside.
Drain marinated beef well.
Brown the cubed beef in batches over medium-high heat in some oil in the large pot used to cook the ground beef adding oil as needed.
You don't want to crowd the beef or it will just boil and not brown.
Transfer browned beef to bowl with ground beef.
Repeat with remainder of marinated beef.
Add all beef back to pot.
Add tomato juice, chili powder, cumin, brown sugar, salt and stir well.
Add rotel tomatoes, green chilies and chopped green peppers.
Do not add kidney beans yet.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 1 hour.
Add drained kidney beans and continue cooking for 1 hour covered.
Remove lid and let simmer for about 30 minutes until chili has thickened a little.
The flavor improves as it sits.
_____

thanx debbie. instead of kedney beans can i use black beans and can i use the McCormick chili seasoning stuff. thanx again

Add lots of beef tips and ground beef, BEER or RED WINE and lots and lots of different smokey chilis.

sweet. ill remember that. i have never made chili before so i dont know what a smoky chili is. lol. maybe bacon could work in debbies recipe.

LT72884 said:
thanx debbie. instead of kedney beans can i use black beans and can i use the McCormick chili seasoning stuff. thanx again
Sure can use black beans! I don't put beans in my chili except for when I make black bean chili ... and the best I've found is Kuner's Southwestern Black Beans w/ Cumin & Chili Spices - I could find these everywhere when I lived in CO - hard to find where I live in TX.

As for the McCormick stuff - do yourself a favor and pick up a bag of Carroll Shelby's Chili Kit. Much better IMHO - just follow the directions on the bag and you'll have a pot of good chili.

You can add black beans if you want. A lot of people don't add beans at all but my family likes it with beans. I have never used McCormick seasoning so I can't help you on that. I find it's easier to add my own seasoning so I can adjust the taste to what my family likes. Cumin will add that smokey flavor to chili.

dang you posted right after i PM'ed you. lol. ok ill try it out with black beans. im not a big fan of kidney beans.

Back
Top Bottom