"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Chili
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2011, 02:18 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Unsweetened cocoa powder gives a wonderful flavor but NOT the first day. Make the night before and allow to sit overnight to marry and mature the flavors. A small amount of an unsweetened natural peanut butter also adds a wonderful depth of flavor.
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 11:22 AM   #22
Senior Cook

This is the chili recipe I've been making for years...

Domestic Goddess Chili

2 lbs. ground beef
1 cup chopped onions
1/4 cup chili powder
2 teaspoons minced garlic
2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
2 (8 ounce) jars taco sauce, mild or medium
2 (15 ounce) cans red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
shredded cheddar cheese, to garnish chili
tortilla chips, to scoop up chili

Cook ground beef in a Dutch oven over high heat; stirring to break up meat, until no longer pink (for 3 minutes).

Add onions; cook and stirring until translucent (for 2 minutes).

Stir in chili powder and garlic; cook one minute.

Stir in tomato sauce and taco sauce. Bring to a boil; then reduce heat, and simmer (uncovered) for 10 minutes.

Stir in the kidney beans and heat through.

Top each bowl with shredded cheddar cheese, and scoop up the chili with the tortilla chips.

Makes 8-10 servings.

Note: This recipe states to add 1/4 cup of chili powder, and yes, that's exactly how much I put in my chili.
Domestic Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 11:33 AM   #23
Senior Cook

So sorry about the double post. It's been quite sometime since I've been here, and I'm still learning how to use this site.
Domestic Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 12:00 PM   #24
Executive Chef

Welcome back, DG. There will be a test, 1-32-2021.

Ross
Old 01-15-2021, 10:44 AM   #25
Executive Chef

I hate kidney beans. Its all about texture.
Roll_Bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 10:54 AM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

I have a PDF file of Chili Variations, but it's too big to post here........ if anyone wants it , PM me an E-Mail Addy and I'll shoot it along............
Old 01-15-2021, 06:39 PM   #27
Certified/Certifiable

For thos who like it hot! Don't make htis unless you are a true pepperhead.

Chief's Raging Bull Chili Con Carne

6 medium size, ripe beefsteak tomatoes, chopped, or 19 oz, can chopped tomatoes
1 medium yellow onion, coaesleychopped
2 stalks celery, sliced
6 oz tomato paste
1 cups dark red kidney beans
1cup black, or pinto beans
1 1/2 lb. 80/20 chuck, coarse grind,. and grilled over flame, or browned in skillet
1 tsp. salt
1tsp. black pepper
1 tbs. cocoa powder
3 tbs. masa harina, or three fresh corn tortillas
5 dried japone peppers. minced
2 tbs, chilli pepper
1/2 tsp granulated garlic powder
1 Anaheim pepper, chopped
1/4 tsp. ea, ghost pepper, 7-pod duglah, Trinidad Scorpion Maruga, Carolina Reaper
Brown the ground beef. Add the onions and garlic. Add all of the peppers, and the celery. Cook for ten minutes. Add the remaining ingredients. C0ver and simmer for 1 hour. Stir to mix in the mada, or tortillas. sprinkle minced cilantro, and shredded sharp cheddar over the filled bowls.

This bunch of peppers adds tremendous flavor for as well as heat. If you like hit, you will love this chili.

I've previously posted my prize winning white chili recipe. If anyone wants it, I can post it again.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- https://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 02:35 PM   #28
Senior Cook

We roasted up a turkey so for this weekend I’m making up a pot of turkey chilli right now. Some of this and that should be good I hope.
Old Yesterday, 08:12 PM   #29
Head Chef

Thursday, when I moved all that food to my friend's freezer, I removed 4 lbs of beef - the oldest ones - and put them in my fridge to thaw for making chili today. 3 lbs of chuck were actually cut up cubes, to make chili, and there was a lb of ground beef. It was wet, which is typical, being frozen so long, but it browned well, as you see from the fond, which darkened it early, after deglazing all that. It has a cup of beer, some chicken broth (unless I have homemade beef stock, which is rare), 4 types of pure chili powders, sweet paprika, caribe, crushed black pepper, Mexican Oregano, cumin, coriander, only 3/4 c crushed tomatoes, chopped roasted and peeled poblanos or Numex, vinegar, and masa harina for thickening.

OK, this is Texas style chili - no beans, to stretch it, because I don't have a freezer to store all that! I started in a 9 qt Dutch oven, to brown all that meat, but transferred it to the 5 qt Dutch oven once it is all mixed together, to cook in the oven. After cooking partially covered in the 250° oven for 2 hours, I remove it from the oven, then spoon some of the liquid off the top, to whisk together with some masa harina, then stir this paste into the chili to thicken it. Then, I cover it, and bake another hour, and it's done! I served it with some shredded cheese, and some corn tortillas, heated on the stove over the gas flame.
Fond in 9 qt. Dutch oven, after browning 4 lbs. of beef for the chili. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Browned onions, with garlic ready to brown, for the chili. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

About a half cup of chopped up roasted and peeled poblanos, frozen last season. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

4 types of chile powder, paprika, caribe, and spices for the chili. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Adding a little heat to the chili! by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Brought to a simmer, and ready to go into the oven for a few hours. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Masa paste, being mixed in, to thicken, before cooking 1 more hour in the oven. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished chili, after removing a couple of bowls of it. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Didn't get around to taking a photo of the bowls and tortillas - couldn't wait to dive in! lol

Tags
chili, recipe

« Burger King chili | - »
Chili recipe ideas? [COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Hi guys,[/FONT][/COLOR] [COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana] [/FONT][/COLOR] [COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]My gf wants to make chili tonight. Do you have any ideas for recipes? I know that ingredients like peppers, onions, ground beef, garlic, beans, tomato, and some spices like paprika, cumin, salt, pepper, etc are essential, but is there anything else I can add that will make it taste even better?[/FONT][/COLOR] 3 stars 1 reviews