Chocolate in Chili

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bumping in hopes that someone can help as the chili is cooking right now. My SIL, a chef, had never heard of it but upon review of the thought process, she agrees it would be a good addition. Just wondering about quantity.

I usually start with 2 Hershey kisses............
then go from there.
I don't want my chili to taste like chocolate but do want it to have that added depth of the chocolate.
Caines idea is a good one................you find that in the Ethnic section of the supermarket at least where I live.

I go with dark unsweetened chocolate; it gives the chili a richness that is hard to define. Those that don't know it's there say that there is somthing thet they just can't put their finger on.

I also put a bit of cinnamon in sometimes.

I go with dark unsweetened chocolate; it gives the chili a richness that is hard to define. Those that don't know it's there say that there is somthing thet they just can't put their finger on.

I also put a bit of cinnamon in sometimes.
I like both your ideas, I'll have to buy a square of dark unsweetened and see what I think of the end result. chili sounds good right now

I was listening to a radio talk show and this lady [I think her name is Pam] was giving her recipe for chili con carne con chocolate so looked it up online. This is the first google on board, not hers, couldn't find that one but liked the looks of thing and love MC...

I just bookmarked that. I will try that, have most everything called for but still do need to buy the bittersweet chocolate. Gosh, I just hate having to buy chocolate don't you? NOT.
I do have the kind Caine talks about but that's not bittersweet as I recall, we shoppe at the same market I think. I also recall him having pineapple vinegar which I have too but that's another subject.

I've been putting s/s chocolate (Bakers squares) into all of my chili ever since I experimented with "Cincinatti style chili a few years back.

Like ErikC said, people comment on that "flavor" but can't quite put their finger on it. They usually keep guessing, and keep re-filling their bowls!!

I agree with unsweetened chocolate, and a teaspoon or two of instant coffee. You can't taste the coffee either.

I have to say, I added the chocolate to my last batch and didn't love it. Okay, I hated this batch. Normally it would be gone by now and it's not. I just didn't enjoy adding chocolate to my chili. Won't be doing it again for sure.

but at least you know what CINC, you tried, that's all you can do, no one is saying it's the perfect way to do chili, but you tried it, didn't like it, and so on. I give you props for trying it.

Back
Top Bottom