Combating chocolate in chili

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeni78

Senior Cook
Hi all,

I just made a new chili recipe tonight and I love it. However, the dark chocolate leaves a finish I'm not super happy with.

I added more orange juice and a little sea salt...it's good chili but I feel like I could do something else...

What are your thoughts on curry powder? Anything else?

I'm running out of ideas...tasted it about 10 times.

Thanks!

if you will go to allrecipes.com and search out 'chili by george' then you will find a fantabulous chili recipe!!
i love love love it

I don't know that I would put curry powder in chili that already has chocolate in it. How about just cumin?

maybe cumin. some creamy peanut butter (not a real sweet one) would also give it a rich flavor, i have added a small amount and it tastes richer and pretty good. if you have plain salted peanuts (not dry roast) you could grind them good in a food processor and than add to chili.

Chili is something that freezes great. I would make another batch without the chocolate and combine the two then freeze the leftovers. Anything else you add will change the overall taste of the chili.

Did you use sweetened or unsweetened chocolate? How much did you use?

I think I'd try to avoid adding anything with anymore oil in it. (No peanut butter or nuts) Try the cumin, thats a good call, I think I might roast some tomatoes and puree them and add that. It will offset the chocolate a bit.

I'd not put either orange juice or curry in chili.

You should use unsweetened chocolate in chili. It gives it a deeper flavor.

I'd agree with GB -- make another half batch without the chocolate and combine.

You could also try adding more chili powder and/or cumin or oregano.

I put cinnamon in a chili once and it worked quite well, it had chocolate in it as well. (100% stuff I found in Amsterdam!:) )
Incidentally it was a veggie chili... I don't know how much of a difference that would make. :/

I skip the chocolate and just put in a half teaspoon of cocoa powder just before serving.

I'm interested to try chocolate, peanuts and orange juice in a chili! Not all in the same but one single item added to the same base of chili so I can taste the difference and go from there. Curry is a given for my taste I think it would be wonderful. We shall see! :)

Orange juice? Peanut butter? Curry powder?... in chili? :wacko:

I guess I'm a traditionalist. I prefer beef, tomatoes, chilis, perhaps a hint of cinnamon or dark chocolate (if you like Mole), but beyond that, it seems to me you're leaving the realm of chili and headed off the path into some other zone of chili powder-based international flavor bowl of... curry!?!? :-p

I know, a lot of people like adding this-and-that to be different, trying to invent the wheel. Personally, I attempt to perfect the given-dish-at-hand while keeping in mind that simplicity tastes best - but that's me - a frustrated perfectionist. :LOL: So, please don't slam me for turning up my nose at certain chili recipes. You just go ahead and eat your... whatever... and I'll have my warm bowl of traditional chili comfort food.

I think my mistake was to add all the chocolate the recipe called for at once...live and learn. I think I would have done better to add less and gradually increase.:huh:

Back
Top Bottom