For Chili Heads Only

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
Ok kids, this chili will seperate the chili heads from normal people. DW is down sick and has to eat easily digestible foods, including jello water. That left an opening for me to play.

My chili came out pretty tasty, and probably not like any chili recipe you've tasted. Warning, this is really hot.

Ingredients:
2 Pollock Fillets
1 yellow onion
1 celery stalk.
1 pat butter (about a tsp.)
Salt
Pepper grinder pepper
1/4 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. ground coriander
1 tbs. hot chili powder
1 fully ripe, fresh ghost pepper
1 tbs, Sriracha Pepper Sauce
1/2 tsp. Tabasco Sauce, original flavor
15 oz. can pinto beans
15 oz. can black beans

Wash and slice the celery. Peel the onion, slice it in half through its equator. Slice each half into quarters.

Heat the butter in a 3 quart sauce pan until it begins to bubble. Add the celery and onion. Season with salt. Remember to season each layer with a little salt and pepper. When the veggies are just starting to soften, and the fish cubes. Cover and let the food simmer for 5 minutes.

Add the herbs and spices, and stir them in. Add both the pinto and black beans. Fold the pot ingredients together. Taste and correct the seasonings. Add the Sriracha and Tabasco sauces. Finally, use kitchen shears to finely cut the ghost pepper into the chili. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.

Serve with whatever you like with chili. And the fish flavor works very well in this chili.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
Gotta warn you; Just finished my first bowl of this chili. My tongue, tip, sides, middle and back, yeh the whole things is talking to me loudly.:ohmy: My cheeks and both hard and soft pallate are feeling the heat, as well as my lips and even my teeth. At one point, the aroma going up my nose cause pain in my left, lower eyelid.

And just last summer, I used to eat the same ghost peppers like they were sweet peppers. You can tell that I'm out of practice. is there a smiley for "Whew! That's hot!"

Fortunately for me, the heat is gone in about 5 minutes. That's a lot better than the 15 minutes it used to take to cool down.

Well, I hope your wife feels better real soon. So she can bring you back to your senses. ( just kidding :LOL: )

Actually I could see that. Fish tacos are good and sometimes they can be reasonably spicy too at taco places.

No hot here either. I doctored a jar of prepared pasta sauce with just three flakes of red peppers along with other foods. That is as hot as I care to have it. And the only reason I used the pepper flakes was for The Pirate. :angel:

I'm a Chili Head. ;)

I also love hot. :yum:

This looks interesting.

I think I'd leave out the celery because green veggies just don't seem right in chili to me. Do they add to the flavor enough to not omit them?

Pinto beans I see but Black beans don't say chili to me. How about Red kidney beans instead? I have to say I'm about 50/50 on beans in chili. Sometimes I want them and other times I don't. :rolleyes:

Sriracha is one hot sauce I'm not really fond of. Too much garlic. Could I use another hot sauce and add a bit less garlic to mimic the taste?

Now to the real question. Fish in chili? That's where my interest comes in. I don't see Pollock here so what other fish would you suggest?
I'd most likely do this in the crock pot so adding the fish too early is a concern. Overcooked fish is not one of my favorites. :(
Perhaps precooking and tossing in at the end to warm up is the way for me to go?

Thanks for the idea's Chief. That's what cooking is all about. Seeing what others do and adapting those ideas to our own tastes. I'll give Fish Chili a try one of these days. Now weather I curse you or praise you is something only time will tell. :LOL:

I'm a Chili Head. ;)

I also love hot. :yum:

This looks interesting.

I think I'd leave out the celery because green veggies just don't seem right in chili to me. Do they add to the flavor enough to not omit them?

Pinto beans I see but Black beans don't say chili to me. How about Red kidney beans instead? I have to say I'm about 50/50 on beans in chili. Sometimes I want them and other times I don't. :rolleyes:

Sriracha is one hot sauce I'm not really fond of. Too much garlic. Could I use another hot sauce and add a bit less garlic to mimic the taste?

Now to the real question. Fish in chili? That's where my interest comes in. I don't see Pollock here so what other fish would you suggest?
I'd most likely do this in the crock pot so adding the fish too early is a concern. Overcooked fish is not one of my favorites. :(
Perhaps precooking and tossing in at the end to warm up is the way for me to go?

Thanks for the idea's Chief. That's what cooking is all about. Seeing what others do and adapting those ideas to our own tastes. I'll give Fish Chili a try one of these days. Now weather I curse you or praise you is something only time will tell. :LOL:

Any mild, firm fish will work. Flaky, soft fish tends to disintegrate. As far as replacing the Sriracha, try some Jamaican Hell Fire Sauce, Red.

Normally I use kidney beans in my chili. They are mildly sweet. For this chili, I wanted more of an umami flavor, hence the fish and black beans.

I wanted that umami couple with intense pepper flavor, not necessarily heat. But to the pepper flavor that I so enjoy, I put up with the heat. I truly enjoy the flavor of hot peppers. Smoked Ghost peppers are amazing.

Yeah.... sorry Chief, but this reads more like "spicy fish stew" than chili. I just can't abide chili without... well... chili.

I'll take mine with ancho, guajillo, and cascabel please. Oh, and meat. :yum:

Far as I can tell, the only difference between this and a more traditional chili is that it has no tomato, the the beef has been replaced with fish.

I mean, some put pork in their chili. Others throw in chicken. Still others use venison. The only commonality between them is the chili peppers. And I put chili peppers in this. So I'm calling it chili, not matter what you all say.:-p

I have to confess though, I like beef in my chili more than I do fish. This was tasty, but not as tasty.;)

Besides, I'm fully aware that not every experiment I try is going to make something amazingly tasty. But unless you're willing to try something new, how are you ever going to learn new things? And really, this was pretty good. But you have to enjoy fish.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Most chilis that I make have no tomato in them. Steve has a nice chili combo there, but I would probably add some arbol along with them.

No fish for me either.

Well it looks like chili to me and that's what I'll call it ;)

Chief I love fish but aside from salmon I'm only knowledgeable about the fish I love. And those are the ones I catch myself. Nothing beats fresh fish. :yum: Rock, Perch, Bluefish are where my experience lies.

Sadly I haven't been fishing in years. Time and/or money has prevented it.
I saw some Cod in the store the other day. Ya think that would fit your criteria for firm and mild?

I'm a chili head and this will be just 1 more on the list of chilies I've tried.
I agree that if you're not willing to try new ideas you'll never learn new things.

Beans no beans. Tomato no tomato. That's all just snob appeal to me. If it tastes good then it's a winner. As I've said before. You ask 100 chiefs for there best chili recipe you'll get 101 answers. I'll put fish in my chili and if it's tasty I'll be the first to say Chief Longwind Of The North gave me the recipe. :mrgreen:

That being said if it tastes like something I scraped off the bottom of my shoe I'll be the first to say Chief Longwind Of The North gave me the recipe. :LOL:

Well it looks like chili to me and that's what I'll call it ;)

Chief I love fish but aside from salmon I'm only knowledgeable about the fish I love. And those are the ones I catch myself. Nothing beats fresh fish. :yum: Rock, Perch, Bluefish are where my experience lies.

Sadly I haven't been fishing in years. Time and/or money has prevented it.
I saw some Cod in the store the other day. Ya think that would fit your criteria for firm and mild?

I'm a chili head and this will be just 1 more on the list of chilies I've tried.
I agree that if you're not willing to try new ideas you'll never learn new things.

Beans no beans. Tomato no tomato. That's all just snob appeal to me. If it tastes good then it's a winner. As I've said before. You ask 100 chiefs for there best chili recipe you'll get 101 answers. I'll put fish in my chili and if it's tasty I'll be the first to say Chief Longwind Of The North gave me the recipe. :mrgreen:

That being said if it tastes like something I scraped off the bottom of my shoe I'll be the first to say Chief Longwind Of The North gave me the recipe. :LOL:

Yes, cod would work. Go ahead and use my name. I live to experiment, and to share. Hope ya like it.:D

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Technically, chili is sauted meat in a spicy sauce. No beans. That's why I keep telling vegetarians that meatless chili is a spicy sauce.

If you want beans, you pour the chili OVER the beans.

Technically, chili is sauted meat in a spicy sauce. No beans. That's why I keep telling vegetarians that meatless chili is a spicy sauce.

If you want beans, you pour the chili OVER the beans.

Yes, but the spice in the sauce must come from dried or fresh chilis.:angel:

Back
Top Bottom