HELP! chili too tomato-ey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Go to google - search Wendy's Chili Recipe - few too many beans for me but basically pretty darn good.:pig:

You mean Wendy's like the FF place? Mine is already better than that.

I wonder if I can find any chipotles. Those would add some smokiness too. Otherwise I could just use a couple of poblanos, and a couple jalapenos.

...I wonder if I can find any chipotles. Those would add some smokiness too. Otherwise I could just use a couple of poblanos, and a couple jalapenos.

You can order dry chipotles from the Penzeys link I posted above. There is also chipotle in adobo sauce available in small cans at most supermarkets. Look in the Hispanic foods section. Either type of chipotle will do the trick in chili.

I'm not a fan of tomato in chili, so I never put any actual tomatoes in. I might use a small can of sauce or some paste though.

IMO, essential ingredients in my chili are fresh peppers, both sweet and hot, onion, cilantro, garlic, beef (cubes or ground), and beans.

I also use lots of Penzey's chili powder, rehydrated dry ancho chiles, mexican oregano, additional cumin, unsweetened cocoa powder, salt, black pepper and a few secret additions.

I have won more than a few chili cookoffs with this recipe. :chef:

I went to Walmart at lunch and found they have canned chiptoles in adobo, as well as diced green chiles and jalepenos. In the veggie section I saw fresh poblanos and (a massive bag of) dried guajillos. So chiptoles and poblanos ought to be an easy addition to my chili.

I know there are 1000 different ways to make chili, and they're all the best to those that are making it. It would probably be safer to talk religion or politics than chili ingredients!

Also, I know that many of you do not like tomatos in chili, but I've always made it that way and done very well in cook-offs (usually 1st or 2nd). And I was the one that noticed the last batch had a bit too much tomato taste. Everyone else loved it. I might decrease the amount of tomato in future batches (to cut down on acidity as much as anything), but for this competition I want to stick as close to TNT as possible. I will let you know how it goes! I might make another batch before the cook-off just as a test run.

Oh the chipotles in adabo.. I think I might just be addicted to them.

Frank, where on the Ches Bay are you?

Also, do you guys dump all the adobo sauce into the chili? Thumbs up or down on that? I would think dumping it in would be good.:chef:

I am near Baltimore.

I haven't used it for chili yet, though the weekend is coming. I have used it for my BBQ sauce and various other things. ;)

I puree the whole can (usually) with a bit of tomato sauce to get it moving in the blender. Freeze it in an ice cube tray to keep it cause a little goes a long way.

I am near Baltimore.

I haven't used it for chili yet, though the weekend is coming. I have used it for my BBQ sauce and various other things. ;)

I puree the whole can (usually) with a bit of tomato sauce to get it moving in the blender. Freeze it in an ice cube tray to keep it cause a little goes a long way.

Wow, so I shouldn't dump the whole can into a pot of chili? Things like that are good to know!

BTW, just updated my location. Didn't realize it wasn't there.

Thanks for the info! I add my spices (and chili powder!) to the meat before all the other ingredients too.

Phil, in my house we call it chili. I realize everyone makes it different, and many people are pretty adamant about it. I am not.

Got any pulled pork bbq recipes? :LOL:
Man, if you like it, I'm happy for ya'. You cook for yourself, you should be pleased. Funny you sould mention pork. My last, and best flavor chili had pork in it! Don't tell my fellow Texans.

Wow, so I shouldn't dump the whole can into a pot of chili? Things like that are good to know!

BTW, just updated my location. Didn't realize it wasn't there.

Well I suppose it depends on the size pot (and the size can) and if your health insurance is paid up. For my ketchup based BBQ sauce I use about 2 tablespoons if I want it pretty spicy or just 1 for mild in about 2 cups of sauce.

Tomato paste is just tomato puree/sauce that has been cooked for a long time and reduced, and then reduced some more, and then reduced and concentrated some more, and then some more. 2 14.5 oz cans of tomato paste is the tomato-ey equivalent of 6 cans of tomato puree! It is not a thickening agent - it is just thicker because it has had most of the water cooked out of it.

For a less tomato-ey chili use less tomato paste (about 1 8 oz can) or 1 14.5 oz can tomato puree/sauce. To thicken, use a slurry of masa harina or AP flour or corn starch. Masa harina is the authentic thickener - AP flour or corn starch will work but have a different flavor.

I only add diced tomatoes if I am making "chunky chili" for some specific purpose - generally the only lumps in my chili are chunks of meat.

Chili powders vary - and yes they are a blend of ground chilies and usually cumin, Mexican oregano, salt and may include onion and or garlic powder/salt. What makes different chili powders different is the blend and what chilies are used. For a more authentic San Antonio flavor look for Gebhardt's chili powder. Oh, not all chili powder is "knock your socks off" hot - some of the best isn't. If you want more heat add more and/or different chilies, hot paprika or cayenne pepper.

Phil - don't worry about using pork, I won't call the chili police on ya'! :ROFLMAO: A couple of nights ago my DIL used ground turkey!!!

Just got back from Walmart with the family, and I picked up the bag of guajillo chile and smelled them. Wow, they sure smelled sweet! Sort of a really sweet tobacco-like smell. I might have to try a few of those in chili some time.

BTW, I was harassing the guy at work that is organizing the cook-off. His chili had chicken and lima beans in it, and I told him he would win first place is there was a chicken soup category. It was very good though! I like chili cook-offs, but have only entered them at work and church.

Just made another batch of chili last week. I cut the tomatoes down to 2 cans, and paste down to 2 SMALL cans (like the 6 oz I believe). Also I drained the beans so it would be thicker. It was great!

I just picked up some chipotles at the store the other day for my chili. With 3 lb ground beef, 3 cans of beans (1 black, 1 lt red kidney, 1 dark red kidney), and 2 cans of tomatoes I plan to add 1-2 chipotles to start. Then I can add more if need be. How does that sound?

Back
Top Bottom