ISO: Chili meat sauce for enchiladas/tamales

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giggler

Sous Chef
When I was little (late 60's), my family would go out to a large "Old School" Mexican restaurant (prob El Fenix) in N. Dallas Tx, and have exotic foods such as a combo plate, with cheese enchilada, crispy taco, tamale, and sides..

The dish had a Chili with meat (chili con carne) sauce on the enchilada and tamale. And as I seem to recall, even an extra little bowl of it on the side, which Dad promptly grabbed and poured over His..

Today, I don't see this Chili sauce often. Rather, it is usually a thin meatless gravy, like the one discussed here..

The essence of Tex-Mex | Homesick Texan

here is another discussion of the sauce from ChowHounds..

Chili Con Carne for Cheese Enchiladas? - Home Cooking - Chowhound

seems this fellow is looking for the same thing, but never really received a recipe..

It's really like thinned out Tx Red Chili, almost hot dog sauce thin..but not so "strong" to over power the taste of delicate cheese enchiladas, or Tamales..

Thanks, Eric Austin Tx.

I make an enchilada sauce using:

Onion, garlic, tomato, various fresh and dried chile peppers, ground beef, beef broth, cumin and Sazon seasoning.

I use the meat for the filling in the tortillas and as part of the sauce. If you wanted to make cheese enchiladas, then you can use this for the sauce.

Bake some flour till it is nice and brown. Mix in goodly amounts of chili powder, and some garlic, pepper, cumin, seasoning salt, paprika, onion powder, beef bullion powders. Mix well.

This makes a stunningly good tasting thickener for your browned meat! I add onions, garlic and such to the meat, too. When the meat is browned, drain it, add some liquid (beer, stock, water...), and heat to boiling. Mix some of the flour into cold water and add to the boiling liquid. Stir well until it thickens. Add more if you want it thicker.

Back
Top Bottom