Making chili question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chile Chef

Sous Chef
I'm making a ready mix type chilie that has everything you will need but I'm going to add sausage, Here's my question!

should I grill the sausage, or should I throw the sausage in the while the chilie is cooking, and let it cook along with the chilie?

i would remove the sausage casing and add to your ground beef mix together. Then just brown the ground sausage and ground beef (im assuming) together and base your chili off of that. Hope it turns out well

Grilling before will taste different than just cooking in the chili. It would be a personal preference and whether you want to take the time to grill or not. IMO, I'd grill but then that's just me!

I would definitely cook it,either grilled or fried in a pan,

just to cook out some of the fat.

Browning meats before stewing them gives you the opportunity to de-fat them. Also, it allows you to brown the meat, thereby adding a significant amount of flavor that would be otherwise missing.

you don't specify kind of sausage. I can imaging some sausages being fine cooking in the general pot of chili. However, most will benefit from being browned and de-fated and added cooked.

I often add a Mexican Chorizo to my chilli and I always take it from the casing and brown it first.

Whenever I add sausages to any dish, I like cut them into chunks and leave on the casing (I like the texture). But I do brown them to enhance the flavor and to render the fat. You will be surprised how much fat there is in sausage 'meats'. You can even precook the sausages after browning, in water until done, to get rid of more fat. If you do, place them in the refrigerator with the stock. When the fat has congealed skim/lift out all the fat. (This is also good to do with varietal meats (neck bones, ham hocks, etc.) Use the stock for your chili or stew.

I would cook the sausage meat before adding into the chili mixture. Usually I remove the casing ( as another poster said ) and cook it as I would ground beef.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom