Mild Chili

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jonnyjonny_uk

Senior Cook
I want to attempt my first chilli con carne and would like some advice as to the heat of the dish as my gf will only eat it very mild. Looking at the recipes a very generous amount of chilli powder is used which i guess gives it the flavour as well so how do i make a mild chilli without distracting from the flavour?

I make a fairly mild chili, (when grandson will be eating) chili powder to me is more a flavor, unless you buy the hot chili powder. But it is a needed flavor along with cumin. Hubby adds the hot when he is served. We sprinkle grated cheese and diced swt. onions just before eating - yum. Hope this helps a litte, just a Grandma cookin' not a Chef ! Let us know how it turns out, and if GF enjoyed it.

How about using Ancho chili powder? Ancho is readily available now. I get mine at Penzey's but I've seen it in the spice aisle. If you are not familiar with Ancho it is a pure chili powder, (not a blend) made from dried poblano peppers. It is fairly mild and packed with flavor. Typical chili powders are a blend of chili powder(many times Ancho), cayenne, cumin, and sometimes mexican oregano.

Ancho chile powder can be "hot" to us wimpy folk. Commercial chili powders are a blend of spices and really don't tend to be hot at all.
I suggest using a bit of a commercial chili powder and then adding cumin which is sort of the "real" flavor in chili to me. It isn't hot but very distinctive. And then you could also "inch up" and use some ancho powder. I like New Mexico chile powder--which I am pretty sure is ancho. It is now fairly readily available on the spice aisle.

If you are in UK and wanting to use a pre mixed chili spice in a jar they come in mild, medum and HOT! I, following a couple of DC recipes have started making my own and really, because DH does not like it TOO hot, I go heavy on the cumin light on the chile. If by any chance my hands slip or I miss judge heat, we find serving over white rice and with a big dollop of plain white yogurt is delicious. Not traditional, the yogurt, but really really yummy!

Candocook said:
...I like New Mexico chile powder--which I am pretty sure is ancho. It is now fairly readily available on the spice aisle.

I believe New Mexico chile powder is made from New Mexico Chiles.

PytnPlace said:
How about using Ancho chili powder? Ancho is readily available now. I get mine at Penzey's but I've seen it in the spice aisle. If you are not familiar with Ancho it is a pure chili powder, (not a blend) made from dried poblano peppers. It is fairly mild and packed with flavor. Typical chili powders are a blend of chili powder(many times Ancho), cayenne, cumin, and sometimes mexican oregano.

Spelling is important here.

Chile powder refers to powdered chile peppers. Ancho chile powder from Ancho peppers, etc.

Chili powder, as PytnPlace said, is a blend of several spices including chile powder, oregano, cumin and varying amounts of a hot pepper powder to add heat.

My chili is very mild, no cayenne or jalapeno or anything like that. I season my chili with generous dose of hungarian mild paprika powder, cumin, ground coriander seed, black and red pepper (they are bright red coloured peppercorns, not to be confused with red hot chili pepper...), garlic, and splash of beer. I also add finely chopped bell pepper and fresh tomatoes which give a nice flavour as well. It is quite a big hit with just about everyone.

When you make the recipe, start with half the chili powder called for. You can always add more if needed. You can also sweeten it a bit with Hershey's choclate sauce or grape jelly. Both work and give different flavors to the chili. We serve ours over rice or cornbread and add grated cheddar and/or sour cream. All these things will help to cut the "hot".

some advice

That's funny--I made chili last night and in fact took a bunch of pictures and wrote up the recipe because many friends and family members have asked about it. It's my own recipe that I have heavily modified over the years from the New Basics Cookbook (in fact it's one of the first meals I learned how to cook). I like it spicy, but I think chili is so versatile it would be easy to tone it down. Experimentation is key and don't be afraid. As I said I have made many, many changes to my recipe and I'm usually one to follow directions to the T. I agree with other posters to cut down on the chili powder and keep the cumin. You can always add more as the chili cooks if it's not spicy enough. I add chicken broth to my chili and I bet that would help too. I also always add sour cream to cut the heat a bit. Good luck! Here's my recipe if you want to check it out--if links work here (link goes to a photo sharing site where I have my pics, no reg necessary to take a look): Unhandled Exception

A lot of peppers have different names when they are dried. Poblano becomes ancho, Chipotles are jalapenos, etc. It gets a little confusing.

I use a lot of Ancho powder cuz my DD is sensitive to heat.

Like LuLu said use the mild chile powder blend, if possible cook a day ahead, that takes the harshness out, and give you a chance to taste it adjustmentss, like oops time for plan B, save the chile for another day. You can use touch of honey if is a little too hot, that seems to work, but don't over do it. Good Luck

Andy M. said:
The New Mexico is a distinct separate pepper from the Ancho, Check it out.

Distinctly different they are, it seems, but ancho is a sub. One site I found for NM chiles suggested Chimayo chiles. As someone else pointed out, the names get all bollixed up depending on where you are.
And of course, the Hatch green chiles. But it is definite that Hatch chiles are not poblanos, which ancho are.

Well thanks for everyones help and advice:)

The chilli is bubbling away on the stove as we speak and smells gorgeous:) Here is my final choice of ingredients which was purely my choice after reading all the recipes here so hope it tastes good!!

Chilli Con Carne
700g Beef mince
1 large onion finely chopped
4 cloves garlic chopped
1 medium green pepper chopped
8 mushrooms sliced
1 big jar chopped tomatoes in juice
1 tin kidney beans drained
1 tin sweetcorn
2 tbsp chilli powder mild
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 cup water
3 tbsp ajicka (georgian tomatoe paste with peppers, garlic and spices)
Fry onion, garlic, pepper and mushrooms in oil until soft and clear.
Add mince and fry till brown.
Add spices and fry for a further five minutes.
Add tomatoes and water, stir for five minutes.
Add sweetcorn and kidney beans and stir in.
Cover and turn on a very low heat stirring occasionally.
Leave for as long as possible, 6 hours minimum.
Can be re-heated the next day to serve.
Serve with boiled rice or garlic bread or on its own.
Sprinkle with cheese and a dollop of sour cream for taste and decoration.

Im certainly no chef but its smelling good now!!!!

I will let you know how it tastes later:)

Wowwwwwwwww it tastes amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My first attempt at Chilli and its edible:)

Could do with being a little thicker but i shall leave it simmering with the lid off to absorb some of the liquid and next time leave out the glass of water i added.

Here is a pic just taken with camera phone:

img_416477_0_bfcd36b2b49553d8d02b96bd94181e93.jpg

Back
Top Bottom