Prize Winning White Chili

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
As most of you know. I used to participate yearly in a chilli cookoff in my home town.I always entered two batches of chili, sometimes a fiery hot, and a mild sometimes a red, and a white chili. I offer for y0ur enjoyment my !rst Prize winning white chili recipe. It will completely fill a portable roaster (about 3 gallons), and has been judged delicious by everyone in at least three different chili cookoffs, in Sault Ste. Marie, MI, Sault Ste. marie, ont., and Grand Rapids MI. I tell you this, not to blow my own horn, but to hopefully get you to try it for yourself. Enjoy.:yum::chef:

I have made this basic recipe with chicken or pork as the meat, and with more potent hot peppers. Fortis prize winning batch, I tweaked the herbs and spices, changed to ground beef, and reduced the spicy, heat. Everyone who has tried this recipe has fallen in love with it. It’s not as pretty as red chili, but it sure does taste great. Try this recipe on a cool fall night. It’ll warm you to your toes. This freezes well, and so can be divided into meal-size containers, or just brought to a pot luck. Enjoy.

Ingredients:
* 24 oz. (3 cups) Great Northern Beans, cooked
* 24 oz. Pinto Beans, cooked
* ½ cup Salsa Verde (available in most grocery stores)
* 1 large white onion, diced
* ½ cup chopped green onion
* 1 tbs. Sriracha brand Pepper Sauce
* 2 tbs. Coriander, ground
* 1 tbs. Cumin, ground
* 2 stalks Celery, sliced with leaves
* 2 lb. Ground Beef (80/20 coarse grind (grill the meat over charcoal to make it even better))
* 2 tsp. Kosher Salt, or 1 ½ tsp. table salt
* 3 tbs. fresh Cilantro, chopped
* 2, one-inch Serrano Chile Peppers, minced
* ½ tsp. white pepper, ground (or you can use black pepper)
* 2 cups heavy cream (1 pint)
* ½ cup Masa Harina (can be found next to the corn meal at
your grocers)
* 3 tbs. cooking oil

Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the diced onion. Sauté over medium heat while stirring until the onion begins to soften (about 2 minutes). Add the ground beef and flatten out. Let cook for about 5 minutes and then break it up. Stir and cook until the meat has lightly browned. Add the remaining ingredients, except for the Masa Harina, and reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook for two hours, stirring every twenty minutes or so to prevent the chili from sticking. Taste the chili and correct the seasoning to your taste (add more salt if needed).
Place the Masa Harina into an eight ounce cup along with just enough water to form a thick paste. Stir with a fork until all the lumps are removed. Slowly stir in two tbs. more water. This is called slurry. Stir the Masa Harina slurry into the chili, and again cover. Let it all cook over low heat for an additional ten minutes. Stir and test to see if the chili is thick enough for you. If so, then you are ready to serve up a bowl- full or two to your family. But remember, like all great chili, this is even better the next day. So if you can, cool it in an ice bath and place in the refrigerator for tomorrow’s dinner. Serve it with some good cornbread, or nachos.

Hope you enjoy the recipe.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom