Any good Black-eyed Peas dips or appy's?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shannon in KS

Cooking Links Contest Winner
I saw the New Year's tradition thread... but have yet to start my own. I found a recipe for a spicy black-eyed pea dip and though I might try it. I was wondering if anyone else had any good recipes? Or even other traditional recipes other than black-eyed peas. I am, as always, taking an appetizer to work on Friday to celebrate New Years with all my coworkers. Here is the recipe I found: (and I will post some more if I find any)

Black-eyed Pea Dip

4 cups cooked black-eyed peas
1/4 lb butter
1 cup onions, diced
1/2 cup celery, diced
1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
1 (4 ounce) can green chilies, chopped
8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, cubed
salt and pepper
1/4 cup pimientos, chopped
1/4 cup parsley, chopped

Saute celery, garlic, jalapeno pepper, green chilies in butter for 2 to 3 minutes. Add cheese and stir until melted. Place heated mixture plus 2 cups peas in food processor and blend until puréed. Add remaining black-eyed peas to mixture in large bowl and stir. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with pimento and parsley if desired. Serve with warm tortilla chips or crackers.

Thanks for posting those. We are invited to a New Year's thing on Sunday and I was wondering how I would get our blackeyed peas on that day. I'll just make the dip and take it. Thanks for the idea!!!

A friend in Texas gave me this recipe. I haven't tried it yet, but it looks good.

Texas Caviar (Black-Eyed Peas) Recipe

You need to make it one to three days ahead so the flavors will mellow.

Ingredients
1-1/2 cups chopped seeded tomato
1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
2 tablespoons canned chopped green chiles
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon minced seeded jalapeno pepper
1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 garlic clove, minced
1 (15.8-ounce) can black-eyed peas, drained
Jalapeno slices (optional)
Cilantro sprigs (optional)

Instructions
Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Cover and chill. Garnish with jalapeno slices and cilantro sprigs, if desired. Serve with baked tortilla chips.

I never even knew there was such a thing as "Black-Eyed Pea Dip"! I have one recipe that uses black-eyed peas. It's very old. I quite like it! I haven't made it for so long. Maybe I'll make it for New Year's Day along with the ol' pork & saurkraut.

Black-Eyed Peas & Beef

1 can black-eyed peas
1 pound ground beef
1 small onion chopped
1 clove garlic minced
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt
16 ounces tomato wedges, canned
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon flour
1/2 cup Cheddar cheese shredded

Instructions:
Brown beef, onion & garlic in large fry pan. Add peas, Worcestershire sauce, salt & pepper. Place tomato wedges on top. Cover & cook about 10 minutes (or longer - time is not important.)

Add ketchup & flour. Cook covered another few minutes.

Add cheese & cook uncovered until cheese melts.

Note: Usually served with green vegetable for dinner. Reheats well in casserole in oven. Add more cheese when reheating.

constance that sounds awesome! But I already bought the stuff to make the another one! :mad: I kinda altered it. Here is my version

Creamy Black-eyed Pea Dip

Black-eyed Pea Dip
3 can black eyed peas, drained and rinsed
8 oz sour cream
1 cup real mayo
2 packets ranch dressing mix
12 oz mozzarella cheese
1-14oz can artichoke hearts, sliced
Optional additions:
Cooked, diced onion or minced onion
garlic powder
seasons to taste

Combine sour cream, mayo, dressing mix, cheese and artichoke hearts on saucepan. Heat until cheese melted. Add 2 cans beans. Mash remaining can of beans, and add to heated mixture. Serve with tortilla chips.

This does have good flavor, but the colors just don't blend... it is a white base, then the peas are just kinda there. I mashed the last can of beans to thicken it up a little. It tastes fine... just not really appealing to the eye.

Alert!!!

Do NOT eat the Creamy Black-eyed Pea Dip. Do NOT even attempt to ogle the dip in hopes of it being remotely good. Do NOT pick up a chip. Not even a cracker. Go straight to Corinne or Constance' post. If you copied this, delete it, I repeat, delete and shred.

HORRIBLE!!!!!! Sincerest apologies. It tasted decent in the early life, but has aged miserably. :sick:

BEP or any bean can be made into a hummus type dip. flavor with salt pepper chili powder and garlic and cilantro. Also make black eye pea cakes... pat mixture into a patty and fry until crispy, serve with salsa.

:ROFLMAO: Awwwww!!! What happened? Was there *anything* good about it? Sorry for your mishap. :ermm:

shannon in KS said:
Do NOT eat the Creamy Black-eyed Pea Dip. Do NOT even attempt to ogle the dip in hopes of it being remotely good. Do NOT pick up a chip. Not even a cracker. Go straight to Corinne or Constance' post. If you copied this, delete it, I repeat, delete and shred.

HORRIBLE!!!!!! Sincerest apologies. It tasted decent in the early life, but has aged miserably. :sick:

licia said:
Was it the original version or the "altered" version that didn't turn out well?

I personally did not like the combinations of flavors. I doubled the sour cream and mayo to adjust the consistency. A few people at work liked it, but most didn't, including me! I think the mixture would have been great minus the peas..... but that was the whole point! Sometimes we soar, sometimes we crash and burn! :LOL:

The one I'm making doesn't call for mayo or sour cream, just a viniagrette type dressing. Even if you like the peas, I don't think it would draw you back like black bean or regular bean dip.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom