Appetizers ... Are They A Snack Or A Meal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Appetizers ... Are They A Snack Or A Meal?

• Just a snack to whet your appetite

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I prefer them as a meal

• They really could be either IMHO

Votes: 14 100.0%
  • Neither

• Total voters
They look good. How do you load a tater tot? Cook, squash them then add topping?

We eat appys as a meal sometimes. Example - mini spinach pies, stuffed mushrooms, stuffed tomatoes, cheese and crackers.

I make a lot of meals from appetizers! Dim sum, and other Asian appetizers would probably be the most common for me, but there are a lot of others.

KGirl, Dumps were one of the things I had recently, with 3 different dip sauces - things that I serve with many dim sums, to make them "different". Unfortunately, the ones made with raw garlic don't store well in the fridge, as with most things with raw garlic or onions.

Assorted Appetizers As A Meal

IMG_0103.jpg

Feast Of The Seven Fishes ala k~girl
I do this every Christmas Eve with the
dishes changing each year.
I make just small portions of Seven different
appetizers and it's always buffet, even
just for us two.
This year it was Shrimp, Anchovies, Lobster, Salmon,
Steamed Fish Cake, Ahi or Tuna (raw)
and HUGE New Zealand Green Lip Mussels (Dh all time favorite!)

I love appetizers! But with the shut-downs we don't have our get-togethers anymore. So they usually end up being a meal for me.

But the ones I like the best are freezer-ables. Make a bunch, freeze, then I can take just 2/4 for a snack or 6/8 for a meal.

Just bought a bunch of mushrooms to stuff with a spicy sausage mix. Like to keep those on hand in freezer.
Also the Olive Melts on English Muffins - yumm!

At one point I was trying to put together a 3 course meal of just appetizers. I thought it would be terrific fun! Unfortunately, the girls didn't think so, :( so it has been shelved... for now :D

I love appetizers! ... snipped ...
But the ones I like the best are freezer-ables. Make a bunch, freeze, then I can take just 2/4 for a snack or 6/8 for a meal.

That's a great idea dragn!

I've been seeing more and more appys in the
freezer section at the supermarket too!

IMG_0136.jpg

IMG_0138.jpg

** edit - I made up this tray of appys and our card
game wound up getting cancelled at the very last
second ... no prob! That's lunch!!!!

Does anyone have Dim sum recipes to share?

This is one that I make that is real favorite,
not just at our house, but pretty much
all across Hawaii ...

https://www.foodland.com/recipe/crispy-gau-gee

DSC06905.JPG

DSC06906.JPG

DSC06907.JPG

They're part of our 'good luck' meal for Chinese New Year.
In fact my Mother and I were just talking about these
and how she sooooo misses them, just like how
I miss her :(

I have been out many times when we have shared a half dozen or more first courses as our meal, and it has usually been varied and delicious. I have even been to a few places that specialize in this kind of faire.

But at home this is a lot of work, unless you just do a large quantity of one or two (which I am not a fan of). So I suppose I sit on the fence here.

This is one that I make that is real favorite,
not just at our house, but pretty much
all across Hawaii ...

https://www.foodland.com/recipe/crispy-gau-gee

View attachment 45091

View attachment 45092

View attachment 45093

They're part of our 'good luck' meal for Chinese New Year.
In fact my Mother and I were just talking about these
and how she sooooo misses them, just like how
I miss her :(

I have tried a few of her recipes with outstanding results (better than quite a number of others)...

https://www.youtube.com/c/SoupedUpRecipes/videos
Thank you both.

We have appy meals fairly often. I try to stick with a theme, i.e. Italian, Spanish, Asian, Mexican, American bar food, etc. Usually 3-4 different kinds, sometimes just 2. I've been wanting beef tataki and an Asian mixed seafood salad, maybe some tempura.

We have appy meals fairly often. I try to stick with a theme, i.e. Italian, Spanish, Asian, Mexican, American bar food, etc. Usually 3-4 different kinds, sometimes just 2. I've been wanting beef tataki and an Asian mixed seafood salad, maybe some tempura.

Uuh :ohmy: I've never tried that before! I'm in, what time is the dinner bell?

The time I tried to suggest a meal of them - the purpose was we were supposed to MAKE them ourselves! But they just wanted to go to the frozen food section! :mad: :LOL: :LOL:

The time I tried to suggest a meal of them - the purpose was we were supposed to MAKE them ourselves! But they just wanted to go to the frozen food section! :mad: :LOL: :LOL:
So, which part do you think they were unenthusiastic about? The part where they would have to make them? Or the part with the not-as-tasty premade appies?

Im a big fan of variety, so I love when a meal consists of multiple appetizers than just one item. Sometimes when we go to a new restaurant, we'll order maybe 1 main dish, but multiple appetizers so we can sample a bunch of stuff to get a good idea of the restaurant itself and whether we'll be making a return trip.

Back
Top Bottom