Avacodo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In the Kitchen

Executive Chef
I just ate a whole avacado with salt and pepper on Ry Krisp cracker. Is that bad or worse loaded with calories? I would rather eat avacodo than chocolate bar. Could someone give me recipes with avacodo? Maybe I just realized how good they were when I tried jkath's avacodo cheesecake. Was a real hit with the family but had to make sure we ate it all real fast. My son tried to save it and it dried up and he didn't want to eat it then. I was given website for them but does someone have recipes they want to share that they really enjoyed? Thanks.

I feel your pain -- I'm also addicted to the darned things! So, when you want to indulge yourself again, try this!

(I don't remember where I found this online, but I certainly can attest to how good it is....)

Avocado Bacon Boats

12 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
1/2 cup dairy sour cream
2 ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 avocados, halved and pitted (not peeled)
2 tablespoons chopped green onion

In a bowl, combine crumbled bacon, sour cream, tomatoes, onion, lemon juice and salt. Carefully scoop out avocado halves, leaving a firm shell. Dice avocado pulp; fold into bacon mixture. Spoon into avocado shells and serve immediately

Love 'em here too, but still haven't got the hang of how to buy them at the right point. (I know what I'm supposed to do, but always get them too hard or too mushy.)

in the kitchen,
We love avocado's and we always make this dip in honor of my dad .It's a rather about recipe but one we have at the drop of the hat and always on holidays
Mash 2 ripe avocados
add 2 to 4 cloves of med. sized garlic - depends on your garlic taste
2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
1 scant teaspoon worchestershire
now we add mayo, i just add til i get a pale green mixture i'd say a fourth to a half a cup.
salt to taste
We serve with thin sliced sour dough baguette, but you can serve with potato chips, or cocktail pumpernickle or even rye..But our fav is the sour dough.. Hope you will give this a try. Oh, yes, instead of guacamole we use this with our tacos.
enjoy,
kadesma

Shrimp/Avocado Boats -

Not an exact recipe, more of a 'throw-down', but try this! You'll need -

Small shrimp, cooked, peeled
1/2 avocado for each serving
Lettuce for a 'bed' - baby greens are nice, so is butter lettuce
'Louis' sauce - mixture of cocktail sauce, mayo, lemon juice

Peel and halve the avocados, and place each half on a bed of the lettuce. Put the shrimp in the avocado's seed cavity, and drizzle the 'Louis' sauce over it.

Pretty and yummy!

Speaking of avocados, has anyone every grown one from the seed? I have one that's 5 ft tall right now!

Here are some recipes from my files:

Avocado with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce

2 ripe avocados, quartered, peeled, and sliced *(see directions below)
2 or 3 roasted and peeled red peppers, either homemade or bottled as “sandwich peppers”
4 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon powdered mild red chilies
Salt and pepper to taste

*To quarter, peel and slice the avocados:
Halve each avocado, unpeeled, remove the pit, and slice each half in half again. Peel the quarters by slipping your thumb between flesh and skin, just sliding down to separate the two. Now slice each piece into 4 slices lengthwise and gently fan them out on small salad plates.

Mix the remaining ingredients in the jar of an electric blender and purée into a smooth sauce, stopping as needed to scrape down the jar with a spatula. Place a ribbon of the richly red sauce down the center of the sliced avocado and serve, cool, as soon as possible. This sauce improves if kept for a few hours in the refrigerator, so it can be made ahead if you like.

Feast Of Santa Fe: Cooking Of The American Southwest -By Huntley Dent

Avocado with Avocado Sauce

4 ripe avocados, cool but not chilled
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon lime juice
2 small green onions chopped into 1-inch lengths
2 generous dashes Tabasco
Salt and pepper to taste

First cut 3 of the avocados into thin slices in the following way: Halve each avocado, unpeeled, remove the pit, and slice each half in half again. Peel the quarters by slipping your thumb between flesh and skin, just sliding down to separate the two. Now slice each piece into 4 slices lengthwise and gently fan them out on small salad plates. Allot 2 quarters - that is, 8 slices - per person.
Quarter and peel the remaining avocado. Place it in the jar of an electric blender with all the other ingredients. Blend into a smooth sauce, taking time to scrape down the sides of the jar as necessary. Taste for seasoning and spoon a ribbon of the sauce down the center of the avocado slices. Serve
cool and as quickly as possible so that the avocado does not lose its fresh
taste and color.
This green-on-green appetizer satiates even a fanatic [I plead guilty!], and the presentation is lovely enough in it simplicity to suit a dinner party.

Feast Of Santa Fe: Cooking Of The American Southwest -By Huntley Dent

AVOCADO SANDWICH

Makes 1 serving

2 slices bread, preferably whole wheat
Mayonnaise to taste
1/2 avocado, sliced
4 to 6 slices tomatoes, sliced thin
2 slices Monterey Jack or Emmenthaler Swiss cheese
Red bell peppers, rings
Red onion, sliced in rounds
Romaine lettuce OR green leaf or red leaf lettuce
Alfalfa sprouts or mixed sprouts (Optional)

1. Spread both slices of bread with mayonnaise to taste.
2. Place the avocado over one slice of bread, and mash it until smooth.
3. Place the tomato slices over the avocado; then add the cheese.
4. Top the cheese with the red pepper rings; then place the red onion slices over the red pepper.
6. Add the sprouts if desired.
7. Top this with lettuce; then cover with the second bread slice.

my fav sushi roll is called the dragon roll. it's a california roll, ya know, avocado, julienne cucumber, and crab rolled in rice and nori, topped with alternating slices of more avocado and eel. it's really tasty and rich from the creamy avocdao. if the sushi chef isn't busy, he gets really creative making it look like a dragon, with extra rice, and salmon eggs for eyes, and a origami tongue and tail.

I love the southwestern eggrolls. I have had them in multiple restaurants but a good one was when I was in Belleview, WA.

Stuffing: Black Beans, Sweet Corn, Red bellpeppers, garlic, cilantro, jalapenos, cumin powder, limejuice and ofcourse lots of diced avacados.

Wrap in eggroll or in wonton wrappers. Fold, seal, fry and enjoy.

Avocados - my favorite food on the planet! I eat at least 2-3 a week. As for the calories/fat, don't worry - they are unbelievably healthy. They are also so very nutritious for your skin!!!

Here ya go:

Beef Deluxe:
2 avocados, peeled, sliced
2 pounds of roast beef
1 red onion, sliced thin
½ c. oil
¼ c. EVOO
½ c. wine vinegar
2 tsp dijon mustard
½ tsp pepper
Chopped fresh herbs of your choice
Arrange layers of avo slices, beef & onion; repeat.
Mix remaining ingreds in bowl; pour over layers. Marinate for several hours. Serve on good crusty rolls

Chicken over Avos
8 large halved chicken breasts
2 celery stalks, incl. leaves
1 onion, quartered
Salt & pepper
2 c mayo
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1 cube chicken bouillon
1½ tsp curry (optional- I omit this and use cardamom or rubbed sage instead)
2-3 avocados, peeled & sliced
2 c. shredded cheddar or jack
In a large pot, simmer chicken, celery, onion, salt & pepper in enough water to cover. Cook till onion is tender, and chicken is done. Remove from stock & cool. Shred chicken. Reserve stock for another use. Preheat oven to 350. Combine chicken, mayo, soup, bouillon & curry, if using.
Place avo slices in baking dish (13x9) Pour chicken mix over and top w/cheese. Bake 20 min till bubbly.

Aussie Pasta (thinkin' of you, WayneT)

1 pound Fettuccine (about 500 grams)
oil & butter for frying
1 pound chicken breasts, cut into strips (about 500 grams)
3 avocados, peeled, cut into chunks
½ pound bacon, cut into small pieces (about 250 grams)
1 cup grated cheese (about 250 grams)
Fresh herbs
1 tsp. minced garlic
1 minced medium sized onion
Boil a pot of water & add pasta. Cook till done.
Heat skillet with oil & butter, fry onions, garlic herbs, bacon and chicken. When chicken is nearly cooked through, add avocado and lightly mash with a wooden spoon while cooking. (As chunks heat up, some of them start to mash, thus forming pasta sauce.) When chicken is cooked through, add cheese and stir till melted and mixed in with avo sauce. Plate the pasta in a swirl and place a large serving of the chicken/sauce on top. YUM!

I didn't read all the posts so I don't know if this was said - avocado is a GREAT nutritional source - the fat is a good fat - but when you start adding mayo and stuff it makes it a "bad" thing. Just a simple guacamole with avocado, chopped tomatoes, cumin, cilantro, lime juice isn't bad at all - I can't imagine that the Ry Krisp crackers are bad for you either.

Another way I like it is cut in half, pit removed, and fill the "bowl" a tad with balsamic vinegar.

Yakuta said:
I love the southwestern eggrolls. I have had them in multiple restaurants but a good one was when I was in Belleview, WA.

Stuffing: Black Beans, Sweet Corn, Red bellpeppers, garlic, cilantro, jalapenos, cumin powder, limejuice and ofcourse lots of diced avacados.

Wrap in eggroll or in wonton wrappers. Fold, seal, fry and enjoy.

I've got to try this one one day!

chocolatechef - I have had something similar - they are quite addictive - so beware!!!! LOL YOu can even make them with something as simple as taco meat.

Here are some new ideas.

Fruited Couscous in Avocados
1 c Couscous
1 c Apple juice
1/4 c Prunes, pitted & chopped
1/4 c Dried cranberries
1/4 c Dried apples
1/4 c Apple juice concentrate, thawed
1/4 ts Cardamom, ground
1 tb Maple syrup
1/4 c Pecans, toasted & chopped
Avocados, halved, pits removed, edges rubbed with lemon juice

1.Place couscous in a small mixing bowl. Set aside.
2.Bring apple juice to a boil in a small saucepan; add dried fruit and simmer for 5 mins until fruit is softened. Take off heat and pour over the couscous. Cover & set aside until the juice is absorbed.
3.Stir in the apple juice concentrate, cardamom & maple syrup. Set aside.
4.Fill avocado halves with couscous mixture. Sprinkle with pecans and serve.

Avocado Bread
3/4 c Mashed ripe avocados
3 Eggs
1 c Vegetable oil
3 ts Vanilla
3 c Flour
1 1/2 c Sugar
2 ts Cinnamon
1 ts Salt
1 ts Baking soda
1/2 ts Baking powder
3/4 c Walnuts, chopped

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease the loaf pan and set aside.
1.Mix the avocados with the eggs, oil, and vanilla. Blend well.
2.Add the flour, sugar, cinnamon, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. Fold in the nuts.
3.Bake for 1-1/2 hours. Cover the top loosely with foil after the first 30 minutes. Cool in pan on a wire rack.

Avocado Veloute
6 tb Butter
1 c Finely minced scallions, green part only
2 Garlic cloves, mashed
2 lg Ripe avocados
1 Lemon, juiced
4 tb Flour
6 c Hot chicken stock
Salt and freshly ground white pepper
3 Egg yolks
1 c Heavy cream
1/2 c Heavy cream, whipped

1.In a small heavy saucepan melt 2 tb butter. Add the scallions and garlic and cook, covered, over low heat for 5 minutes or until the scallions are very soft but not browned. Remove them to a blender.
2.Add the coarsely mashed pulp of avocados. Sprinkle with 1/2 of the lemon juice and blend the mixture at high speed until it becomes a smooth puree. Set aside.
3.In a large saucepan melt the remaining butter. Add the flour and cook the mixture, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes without browning. Add the hot chicken stock and whisk until the soup becomes slightly thick and very smooth. Season the soup with salt and pepper and let it simmer, partially covered, for 30 to 40 minutes.
4.In a mixing bowl combine the egg yolks and cream; blend them well. Fold the avocado puree into the cream and yolk mixture. Pour the mixture into the soup and, stirring constantly, heat the soup through without letting it come to a boil. Correct the seasoning and keep the soup warm. Serve the soup garnished with chives and a spoonful of whipped cream.

kitchenelf said:
chocolatechef - I have had something similar - they are quite addictive - so beware!!!! LOL YOu can even make them with something as simple as taco meat.

Oh, oh. There goes my girlish figure!

I just love avacados I eat em striaght up, or smushed- on sandwiches or in salad.
Iam going to try some of these recipes thought.

Back
Top Bottom