Bruschetta question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And me too... Simona has kinda disappeared from the face of the earth from that time, I will check on her...:rolleyes:

Confectionary Of Pears In Red Wine

I'm so sorry of being so late in publishing this, but I had serious problems during summertime!
So, this is my recipe, I hope you'll enjoy it! :chef:

Time: Approximately 40 minute

Ingriedience: 1.5 kg of pears
700g red wine
Sugar

1. Peel the pears and remove the inner twirls and cut into pieces
2. Place them in a pot and cook with the wine until they dissolve
3. Blend altogether in a mixer and throw away any leftovers
4. Return to the stove and add the sugar
5. Allow to cook at a temperature of 105o
6. Pour the boiling mixture into hot sterilized jars
7. Seal the jars tightly and let them get cold in an upside-down position

Let me know!
Simona

Let me get this straight... The pears are supposed to dissolve in the wine? So you end up with a puree?

Sounds like a Vigneron's Apple Compote Recipe I got from Provence years ago that is SO yummy! :chef:

As others have said repeatedly, bruschetta do not hold.
There are SO many other things that can be served. What flopped the family test?
You can have a cheese board with fruit.
You can even serve miniature quiche from Sam's.
Wraps made with tortillas--chicken or shrimp salad with a lettuce leaf. Cut in 1 inch pieces.
What are you trying to achieve? We can probably help.

And there is always the possibility of a "do it yourself" bruschetta (although if you have never had them I have to wonder why you are doing it). But you can put out the bread, the bruschetta topping and goat cheese and let people spread them up themselves.

And there is always the possibility of a "do it yourself" bruschetta (although if you have never had them I have to wonder why you are doing it). But you can put out the bread, the bruschetta topping and goat cheese and let people spread them up themselves.
Personally, I do not prefer sauces of any kind from a jar. They are often laden with additives and preservatives, and even when they're not, imo home made is always better. As well, tomatoes and garlic is only one of many traditional toppings for Bruschetta (which translates to "toasted bread" in English). I like to use various kinds of olive spreads such as Tapenade, or Caponata, or chicken livers as topping for my toasts when I entertain... It's fun to vary what you're serving, I think. :)

When I see jars in stores that are labeled "Bruschetta," I always cringe. That's not Bruschetta... it's A topping for Bruschetta! Reminds me of the Tirami Su that's sold in a bottle in Japan! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Wow Simo!! Long time no see!! Sono felice di vederti di nuovo!! Bentornata!!
And thanks so much for the much anticipated recipe of this pear treat... sounds indeed, buonooo!!

Yes I agree about the temperature of 105° we just found out it is quite crucial to get just the right texture, not too runny but not too gunky, when we were experimenting with some innovative concoctions, like tropea onions and radicchio di treviso... they make surprisingly delicious and unique jams, wonderful with cheeses!!

Now it is the beginning of a high pear season, we will try this one for sure!! Grazie e a presto!

ChefJune said:
Personally, I do not prefer sauces of any kind from a jar. They are often laden with additives and preservatives, and even when they're not, imo home made is always better. As well, tomatoes and garlic is only one of many traditional toppings for Bruschetta (which translates to "toasted bread" in English). I like to use various kinds of olive spreads such as Tapenade, or Caponata, or chicken livers as topping for my toasts when I entertain... It's fun to vary what you're serving, I think. :)

When I see jars in stores that are labeled "Bruschetta," I always cringe. That's not Bruschetta... it's A topping for Bruschetta! Reminds me of the Tirami Su that's sold in a bottle in Japan! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I didn't say "from a jar". (Since you are quoting me). I make roasted tomato or roasted red pepper for my bruschetta--that would be the toast.
But, I will also say that the bruschetta topping (labelled as such) sold in the cold case at Costco is as good as any I could make--and more economical.

Last edited:
I like Bruschetta and the receipe that Urmaniac13 posted is going into my book of receipes.

It sound delicious. Have a happy day.

Jill and Jolie

I have a nice little fresh herb garden and use the grape tomatoes and basil from there.

I chop the tomatoes pretty small and mince the basil. Then I toss in some un-filtered EVOO (very peppery), garlic (sometimes fresh minced, sometimes powdered), black and white pepper. I usually don't put in any vinegar, but occassionally.

I typically let the tomato topping mixture sit for at least a half hour for the flavors to mingle. But sometimes I like it if they don't do so first. It seems more fresh that way.

The bread I do differently depending on my mood. Sometimes I just slice up a baggette and use it fresh. Othertimes, I'll warm it in the oven for a bit.

My favorite way is to slice it diagonally (for ease of chewing and looks) about half an inch thick. Then dip both sides in the EVOO and bake until golden.

I usually only cook for myself or a date, so I don't usually prep any meals too far ahead. I usually assemble and eat ASAP!

I ALWAYS forget to buy the fresh mozarella for the bruscetta. I don't know why. I'd really like to try it that way too.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom