Chili bowls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rickell

Senior Cook
chili bowls

about a week or so ago paula made chili bowls. she took biscuit
dough and pressed them over the back of muffin tins them baked them
and filled them with chili? has anyone tried this? wouldn't the bowls
get soggy if they were not eaten right away?

Was it like the canned biscuits? I would think they would be like any other biscuit you make. If ours aren't eaten within a day or so (which normally isn't a problem), I throw them because they get odd. I haven't tried it but it sounds good!

Yes, once you fill them they would get soggy eventually but they can also be eaten along with the chili. It's really a non-issue IMHO. :chef:

I would imagine you shouldn't fill them until you are ready to serve.

If you are concerned overmuch, you can always get a good quality round boule bread for individual servings. Hollow out the center and run it through the oven for a few minutes to toast the interior, giving it a natural barrier to the moisture. Then, as you get down to the bottom of the boule (or bowl) you can rip it appart and eat it!

I have made Paula's bowls except instead of Chili, I didn't have any trouble with sogginess, but I really didn't think it was too great. I'd rather have some kind of cornbread shell I think.

I assume you're talking about Paula's Chili in a Biscuit Bowl, rickell? Yes, the biscuit bowls will get soggy the longer they sit - that is why Paula's instructions say, "When ready to serve, spoon the hot chili into the biscuit bowls."

I'm with carolelaine here - I would prefer cornbread to biscuits.

Michael.. do yo have a recipe for corn bread that can be made in this way?

I knew someone was going to ask this, pdswife! :wacko:

Nope - biscuits are a dough - cornbread is a batter. About all you can do is make cornbread muffins in muffin tins, scoop out the centers, and fill them with chili.

Paula's recipe is really a "presentation" and not a "flavor" thing - one of the recipes I think she really blew it on (but I'm from Texas and our taste in chili is a little different than Albany, GA). Make a skillet of cornbread, crumble it up in the bottom of a bowl, pour chili over ... it ain't as cute or purty - but it'll taste better, IMHO.

Last edited:
OR for cornbread, make the cornbread in a small loaf pan and carve out the middle. Serve the chli in it.

But I am also not sure why you would ruin a nice chili with a refrigerated biscuit. Paula gives southern cooking a bad name, in my oponion.

In my earlier post on this subject, I left out part of a sentence (brilliant) I made chicken pot pie filling and did it in the little biscuit bowls that she used, it was acceptable, at least eveyone thought they were interesting. I was looking for the pillsbury corn twist things to make the chile bowls but I couldn't find them. I thought they quit making them. Mom used to make corn dogs with them ages ago.

Dutchess said:
For cornbread bowls, you can use a can of refrigerated cornbread twists, made by Pillsbury.

great idea i will try this instead. i also like the idea to use the cornbread
twists for corn dogs.

I have not seen this product either--but I may not have looked closely at that case in the store. What store did the poster find it in?

wouldn't it keep the bowls from getting soggy if they were brushedd with a little bit of olive oil before the chili was put into them?

rickell said:
about a week or so ago paula made chili bowls. she took biscuit
dough and pressed them over the back of muffin tins them baked them
and filled them with chili? has anyone tried this? wouldn't the bowls
get soggy if they were not eaten right away?

Rickell, the bowls won't get soggy if you eat them when ready to serve. The cornbread sticks are another good option, as mentioned. Here are some additional flavors, if available in your area:

http://www.pillsbury.com/View/breads/breadsticks.aspx

I've heard, at the Renaissance Faire, here in California, bread bowls are sold and filled with stew or chili. Wrapping the dough or sticks over the back of muffin tins, may make for very small bowls & they could stick together as they bake. If the dough is thin, they may leak. I have instructions for a cornucopia made with bread sticks wrapped around shaped aluminum foil, which is another idea, rather than using little muffin tins. If you're interested let me know.

Last edited:
thanks mish, paula stated to skip every other muffin tin so they
would not stick to each other. i think the small bowls would be great
for a snack. is your recipe for a meal size bowl i would love
that too. i think the first day of fall is friday

time for chili:clap:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom