Deviled Eggs, with or without relish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Woke up way too early today, turn on the food network, a lady, never seen her before, from MN, was making eggs. She mixed the yolk with some mayo, ah never mind, you can read it right here. It looked really good and I bet tasted incredible.
Steakhouse Deviled Eggs Recipe : Amy Thielen : Food Network
Amy Thielen is a lot of fun to watch--she is about 35 minutes from where my parents are--so when she talks about the Walker Eelpout festival, etc. I've partaken in those events...

I haven't seen her yet. Sounds delicious. What I'm wondering, CharlieD, is how you managed to find Food Network on this early in the morning. Here in Central Time Zone, it doesn't start broadcasting shows until 8:30 a.m. Before that is all commercial shows.

Honestly Z, I have no idea. This was the first and the only time I turned TV on so early. Only because my wife woke up and said that they might have cooking show on in the morning. We both are not interested in watching all the competitions and travelling. Love real cooking.

Never pickles in deviled eggs

Honestly, I love pickles. I make all sorts of pickles from the cucumbers in my garden, naturally fermented kosher dills, sweet gherkins, jalapeno chunks, etc. I love pickles. However, I think any sort of pickled cucumber in a deviled egg recipe is HORRIBLE. From a texture standpoint it is awful. From a color standpoint it is awful. Finally, from a flavor standpoint it is at best a crutch. If you have to rely upon sour to make your deviled eggs flavorful, then you are doing it WRONG. Hey, it's a tempting idea, I get it. I like pickled eggs. I make pickled beet eggs every Summer. I'm Pennsylvania German. But, I don't call pickled eggs deviled eggs. They are apples and oranges, and I don't get those confused either. To me deviled eggs are smoothly textured. The bite, the deviling, comes from a genuine spice. For me that means hot mustard and horseradish. I do put a bit of acid brightness into my filling in the form of sherry vinegar, but the amount does not rise to the level of a pickling. Please leave out the pickle relish or chopped pickles. Whomever initially thought that was a good idea was a dope.

I like to change things up. I usually use salad dressing instead of mayo, and powdered mistard, with finely minced onion, sweet pickle relish for the crunch, and a little dill weed to ballanc the flavor. PaPrica makes them pretty.

I have added horseradish, or wasabi powder, and it was tasty.

If you don't try new ideas, how
can you create new and wonderful things?

Seeeeya;Chief Longwind of the North

For "at home", not for a party, (shucks, no surprises for guests), I've mixed in a little horseradish. I have to mark those ones with a tooth-pick so they don't get mixed up with the plain ones. Also, I like black olives slices, like the color. Wish they had a crisper texture. Maybe a little pickle relish should be added with those too. SO goes all out with the paprika shaker.

I've seen countless recipes for deviled eggs with all different kinds of ingredients. Many with costly or hard to find ingredients that were the fad of the moment.

Many years ago I tried a simple recipe with just mayonnaise, garlic powder and juice from a jar of pimento stuffed olives. Topped with a half olive and a sprinkle of paprika. It's basic but delicious. I have no desire to try a different recipe.

Don't people distinguish between stuffed eggs and devilled eggs? I figure it has to have something hot to count as devilled eggs - mustard, chili peppers, and horseradish come to mind.

Honestly, I love pickles. I make all sorts of pickles from the cucumbers in my garden, naturally fermented kosher dills, sweet gherkins, jalapeno chunks, etc. I love pickles. However, I think any sort of pickled cucumber in a deviled egg recipe is HORRIBLE. From a texture standpoint it is awful. From a color standpoint it is awful. Finally, from a flavor standpoint it is at best a crutch. If you have to rely upon sour to make your deviled eggs flavorful, then you are doing it WRONG. Hey, it's a tempting idea, I get it. I like pickled eggs. I make pickled beet eggs every Summer. I'm Pennsylvania German. But, I don't call pickled eggs deviled eggs. They are apples and oranges, and I don't get those confused either. To me deviled eggs are smoothly textured. The bite, the deviling, comes from a genuine spice. For me that means hot mustard and horseradish. I do put a bit of acid brightness into my filling in the form of sherry vinegar, but the amount does not rise to the level of a pickling. Please leave out the pickle relish or chopped pickles. Whomever initially thought that was a good idea was a dope.

I was ok when you said pickles in deviled eggs was HORRIBLE, until the rant continued to making them that way is WRONG and further to anyone who liked them that way is a DOPE.

Really? Why is it so important to you that I make my deviled eggs the way you say to make them?
I put sweet pickled relish in my eggs because I like them that way, and you can't have any of mine. :ROFLMAO:

Hey Kay... well said! LOL

Seems to me we've recently had posters who think this forum is like Facebook. They say and make comments without thought nor care to social graces nor to whom they are addressing.

Friends can say certain things because they know each other (as best as can be done via the 'net) having gotten to know them over time. These first posters are assuming a friendship and intimacy that does not exist and are being rude and insensitive.

Flippancy should just be ignored and like children, with no attention given them - they'll go away.

Rudeness on the other hand should be pointed out and corrected, then ignored.
JMHO

Back to the subject !

Love Deviled Eggs. I've never done what most of you seem to do. I have tried certain other ingredients but I much prefer my old way.

just enough mayo to moisten,
pinch of salt,
pepper, white is preferable
pinch of mustard powder, if possible, (or whatever you have from plain yellow to dijon, etc.)

for a tiny crunch factor I use finely chopped scallions, white parts only, green to sprinkle
and a final dusting of paprika - smoked, hot, sweet - which ever one I've grabbed.

Egg Salad on the other hand does have all of the above and plus. Of course, the eggs are roughly chopped. The rest of these ingredients have a little bigger chop, more in line with the chopped egg. I add chopped celery, chopped capers or perhaps some chopped peppercorns, jalapeno, a squirt of lemon juice.

To me - Deviled Eggs are an appetizer/side scooped up and eaten in about two bites. It is always the egg white stuffed with its yolks and a variety of extras but they must still be fairly smooth and creamy.
Egg Salad is just that - a Salad. Served on a bed of lettuce, used as a filling in a sandwich, etc. Chunks of recognizable extras.

and now I really really have a craving - but all my eggs are too fresh to boil... trip to the store just breaks my heart when I have my own chicken's eggs in the fridge! LOL

Last edited:
I think maybe it was because of the paprika that was sprinkled on them. Back in my childhood, other than the eggs, S and P, mayo, maybe some relish and/or onion/green onion depending on who made them, I don't remember seeing anything other than paprika, with maybe an occasional oddball (at the time) slice of olive on top. Red being the devil's color as deviled eggs were always at church socials.

Different parts of the south, different families. Egg salad and deviled eggs were 2 entirely different preparations, although with same ingredients, in the various areas of KY, TN, MS and AL where my mom's family was. My NC g-mom didn't really cook when we were there other than breakfast. She wasn't a good cook and was fond of canned veges and roasted meat.

In country parts of MS, lots of people still make them for parties, social events, etc., as I learned from recent experience, with mostly older (50+) ladies doing the cooking.

Actually, my grandmother (a true blue southern "Church Lady") always called them stuffed eggs as she said she'd never have anything to do with the Devil. :devilish:

Actually, my grandmother (a true blue southern "Church Lady") always called them stuffed eggs as she said she'd never have anything to do with the Devil. :devilish:

My Great-Aunt Jeanette would "harumph", my Great-Aunt Harriet would giggle and my Great-Aunt Marjorie would more than likely be the instigator. Don't remember where Gramma stood while her sisters carried on - probably in the kitchen cutting a square in an orange for me to shove a sugar cube in and suck out the juices thru it.

My Mom made them without. But I use my go-to "Famous Dave's Spicy Pickle Chips, " cut up because I like that they add both sweet and spicy flavor.

Relish on deviled eggs? Never heard of such thing. Caviar, that is what you must have on deviled eggs.

In all the truth you can have whatever you like or want. Personally I do not like relish period.

Funny, ou mentioned this. But that is what they were called in russian if yo translate.

Back
Top Bottom