Deviled Eggs, with or without relish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not hardly Charlie. What would you recommend that's not too terribly pricey?

I could most likely get it online somewhere.
Small capers have a similar briny pop of flavor. So do the pickled mustard seeds I mentioned earlier. They're very easy to make and they last a long time.

Small capers have a similar briny pop of flavor. So do the pickled mustard seeds I mentioned earlier. They're very easy to make and they last a long time.

Those are good ideas too GG. Kathleen also mentioned the other day pickling fresh coriander seeds too.

Oh noooooo...there's the dreaded "pickled" word again. :LOL: Ducking and running...:bb::dizzy:

I bought a $10, 2 oz. jar of caviar at the grocery so now I'm all set. I've used it before and since it's all I've ever had, it's fine for me.

Tell me Charlie...do you use it just on top or also with the yolk mixture?
I'm making them tonight...

I bought a $10, 2 oz. jar of caviar at the grocery so now I'm all set. I've used it before and since it's all I've ever had, it's fine for me.

We had them with our dinner tonight. I had to wing it so I mixed a little of the caviar with the yolks, added Kewpie mayo, a little Dijon some celery seed, and topped each with a generous amount caviar. They were just delicious if you like that sort of thing!! :yum: Glad we still have lots more.

Attachments

• P7110022.jpg
    P7110022.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 77
Those look really tasty, Kayelle. I like eggs, and it is pretty difficult to mix things in them to the point where I would not eat them. I think the pickled coriander would be tasty in them. Now, I am craving eggs! If I make them, I will give it a try and get back to you!

Reporting out

So I made some "deviled" eggs with the pickled coriander. The pickled coriander has a surprisingly fresh cilantro taste with a bit of a pop when bitten. I really like it. To the egg yolks, I added mashed avocado, spring onion, pickled coriander seed, sour cream and Tapatio (hot sauce.) It really needed a bit of lime. Salt was not needed. The pickled coriander has a lot of salt. I liked this a lot. My taste-tester was not taken, but he does not like avocados.

I could easily see myself making these again!

Attachments

• 2020-07-13 11.04.34.jpg
    2020-07-13 11.04.34.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 66
  • 2020-07-13 11.00.24.jpg
    2020-07-13 11.00.24.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 56

I use red caviar, aka salmon row, and i use only on the top.

Looks really nice.

My Grand Mother made hers like this. And they disappeared much faster than those made with mayo and sweet relish.

Hard cooked yolks in a mixing bowl. Add softened real butter and mix until it becomes a stiff paste. Season with white pepper, turmeric, and a few drops of vinegar. (to taste...this is subjective) Then add some yellow prepared mustard and mix until it is a soft paste that can easily be packed into the hard cooked egg white. If you wish to dust the finished eggs with paprika it will add to the eye appeal.

This filling is solid and not likely to run or drip on anyone's clothing. Important
in the "hospitaltiy" aspect. No matter how good your food(s) are, if your guest
can't eat and enjoy without getting it on themselves (or their kids doing the same) the event may not receive much acclaim from those present.

One of my book club friends tops hers with smoked paprika. It was an unexpected hit of deliciousness :yum:

If i d not have caviar that is what I do too. Never thought of that being special. i thought everybody does it, looks pretty, red on yellow.

If i d not have caviar that is what I do too. Never thought of that being special. i thought everybody does it, looks pretty, red on yellow.
Most people use regular, not smoked, paprika.
Yes, smoked paprika is different from from sweet paprika. That's why it was unexpected - I thought it was the sweet kind, but it wasn't.

So I made some "deviled" eggs with the pickled coriander. The pickled coriander has a surprisingly fresh cilantro taste with a bit of a pop when bitten. I really like it. To the egg yolks, I added mashed avocado, spring onion, pickled coriander seed, sour cream and Tapatio (hot sauce.) It really needed a bit of lime. Salt was not needed. The pickled coriander has a lot of salt. I liked this a lot. My taste-tester was not taken, but he does not like avocados.

I could easily see myself making these again!
They look wonderful Kathleen can I choose one to munch on? Love your ideas, and just a little avocado too. The color is really nice.

I use red caviar, aka salmon row, and i use only on the top.

Looks really nice.

I'll keep that in mind Charlie when I use up my black caviar. How long will it keep refrigerated in the jar? I sure won't be able to tell by smell or looks. :LOL: By the way, the leftover eggs were not as pretty the next day as the black caviar liquid had bled into the yolks mixture and tops. They were still delicious but I wouldn't make them the day before for a party.

My Grand Mother made hers like this. And they disappeared much faster than those made with mayo and sweet relish.

Hard cooked yolks in a mixing bowl. Add softened real butter and mix until it becomes a stiff paste. Season with white pepper, turmeric, and a few drops of vinegar. (to taste...this is subjective) Then add some yellow prepared mustard and mix until it is a soft paste that can easily be packed into the hard cooked egg white. If you wish to dust the finished eggs with paprika it will add to the eye appeal.

This filling is solid and not likely to run or drip on anyone's clothing. Important
in the "hospitaltiy" aspect. No matter how good your food(s) are, if your guest
can't eat and enjoy without getting it on themselves (or their kids doing the same) the event may not receive much acclaim from those present.

I like your grandma's ingredients. I've made some with soft butter instead of mayo and they were delicious. Actually I seldom make them the same way twice. It keeps them interesting.

Last edited:
KL, if you want to make those devilled eggs for a party, go ahead and make them the day before. Just don't add the caviar until you are about to serve them.

KL, if you want to make those devilled eggs for a party, go ahead and make them the day before. Just don't add the caviar until you are about to serve them.

Yep that would work if I was only using it on top.

Wait, I could have the plastic bag all loaded with the yolk mixture the night before. Then I'll add the caviar to it before I've snipped the bag corner and fill the next day.
Geeze, who am I kidding? There won't be any fun food parties for a long long time. :mad:

Back
Top Bottom