Deviled Eggs, with or without relish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would skip the caviar in the egg mix and put all of it on top. ;)

This will sound weird from someone who doesn't care for caviar but if I did I would want it to be noticeable, brought to the fore so to speak, especially for the effort and expense. Put it on top!

But then if anyone noticed the black specks in the filling they could move on. :LOL:

Yup, I would definitely 'move on', yechhh - is that growing?
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

They look wonderful Kathleen can I choose one to munch on? Love your ideas, and just a little avocado too. The color is really nice.

I'll keep that in mind Charlie when I use up my black caviar. How long will it keep refrigerated in the jar? I sure won't be able to tell by smell or looks. :LOL: By the way, the leftover eggs were not as pretty the next day as the black caviar liquid had bled into the yolks mixture and tops. They were still delicious but I wouldn't make them the day before for a party.

I like your grandma's ingredients. I've made some with soft butter instead of mayo and they were delicious. Actually I seldom make them the same way twice. It keeps them interesting.

Is it a real black caviar? Sturgeon?
No matter. Doesn’t less long. It dries out.

They look wonderful Kathleen can I choose one to munch on? Love your ideas, and just a little avocado too. The color is really nice.

Take your pick! I used a little avocado because I did want the egg flavor along with the ting of guacamole flavor. I got that, but....truly....lime would have made it perfect. :)

Also, thank you. I like experimenting with flavors and food.

I never use relish in deviled eggs - it's a texture thing. It makes the filling lumpy and it won't pipe well. Instead I use pickle juice, mustard, mayo and maybe a little salt (depends on the pickle juice). Simple.

Pipe into the egg in a lovely swirl or star and then add toppings to gussy up the presentation. Sliced olives, maybe a chard of smoked salmon and a caper, cilantro leaves and a slice of pickled, red cherry pepper and my favorite - squeeze siracha into the stuffing so it's hidden and then decorate with a slice of jalapeno :)

I never use relish in deviled eggs - it's a texture thing. It makes the filling lumpy and it won't pipe well. Instead I use pickle juice, mustard, mayo and maybe a little salt (depends on the pickle juice). Simple.

Pipe into the egg in a lovely swirl or star and then add toppings to gussy up the presentation. Sliced olives, maybe a chard of smoked salmon and a caper, cilantro leaves and a slice of pickled, red cherry pepper and my favorite - squeeze siracha into the stuffing so it's hidden and then decorate with a slice of jalapeno :)

Janet I'll never forget your spectacular eggs from 2014... Just fabulous!

Attachments

• eggs.jpg
    eggs.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 88
This is both on, and off topic. I ate sushi for the first time in Tacoma Washington, with my youngest daughter who took me to a sushi bar. The sushi was incredible, and I thoroughly the tine golden, and red caviar that topped the sushi. It had a wonderful pop, without being too fishy. I'm thinking this type of caviar would be a great little topping on deviled eggs. I don't know where, what, or how to purchase it. I don't even know whether it's sold as row, or caviar. anyone familiar with this stuff?

Seeeeeya;Chief Longwind of the North

This is both on, and off topic. I ate sushi for the first time in Tacoma Washington, with my youngest daughter who took me to a sushi bar. The sushi was incredible, and I thoroughly the tine golden, and red caviar that topped the sushi. It had a wonderful pop, without being too fishy. I'm thinking this type of caviar would be a great little topping on deviled eggs. I don't know where, what, or how to purchase it. I don't even know whether it's sold as row, or caviar. anyone familiar with this stuff?

Were the eggs tiny like Russian caviar or larger, like salmon caviar?

I bought a $10, 2 oz. jar of caviar at the grocery so now I'm all set. I've used it before and since it's all I've ever had, it's fine for me.

Tell me Charlie...do you use it just on top or also with the yolk mixture?
I'm making them tonight...

We had them with our dinner tonight. I had to wing it so I mixed a little of the caviar with the yolks, added Kewpie mayo, a little Dijon some celery seed, and topped each with a generous amount caviar. They were just delicious if you like that sort of thing!! :yum: Glad we still have lots more.

The above are just two of the many posts here on caviar Chief..

They should be easy to find in a good grocery store. An Asian store would have these, too.

...I don't know where, what, or how to purchase it. I don't even know whether it's sold as row, or caviar. anyone familiar with this stuff?...
I wasn't familiar, so I did a little googling. I learned that caviar can be used for only sturgeon eggs. Eggs from any other fish must be called roe. While sturgeon eggs are also roe, eggs from salmon and other fish cannot be called caviar.

I probably muddled that all up, so you can read the whole story here:

Understanding Caviar: A Guide to Caviar Grades

I also learned that the real stuff is completely out of my price range. :LOL:

Tiny
Never have had the opportunity to try Russian Caviar. Someday, before I die, I hope.

Seeeeya; Chief longwind of the North.

When I was on my Trans Siberian Railroad trip, we were treated to a caviar and vodka reception in St. Basil's cathedral in Moscow's Red Square. It was excellent. It was also before the prices went through the roof.

Back
Top Bottom