Guacamole dip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kathy W.

Assistant Cook
Ingredients:
2 large avocados
1 tbls. lemon juice
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 small tomato, deseeded and chopped
1 teaspoon salt optional
1/4 cup sour cream
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 tbl. spoon chopped cilantro

Remember a cut avocado turns brown quickly when exposed to air. To help keep it green, sprinkle the avocado with lemon juice and cover with plastic wrap.

Slice avocados in half lengthwise; remove pits. Scoop out pulp with a spoon into a small bowl. Mash with a fork until smooth. Add lemon juice, onion, tomato, and salt into a bowl; mix well. Add sour cream, red pepper flakes and cilantro to bowl; mix well. Spoon guacamole into a serving bowl.

Serve with tortilla chips or quesadillas. This is a very easy side dish that takes about 15 minutes to make. Enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really like guacamole dip. Shucks, I like avocados anyway you fix 'em...
You ain't even gotta fix 'em, I like 'em right out of the shell.
(Paraphrased from Justin Wilson when he was speakin' about oysters.)
Thanks for the recipe!!

This subject has gone around before, but bears repeating. Guacamole is so great, and there are many different, and great ways to prepare it. I had a very good freind in San Diego who made huge amounts of the green mole sauce. He used farr different ingredients than I do, but made equally good guacamole.

Here's the way I make mine, just to add another recipe to this thread.

Ingredients:
2 large, ripe Haas avocados
1 tbls. llime juice
1/8 cup finely diced onion
1/2 medium tomato, finely diced
1/4 teaspoon Tobasco Original flavor Pepper Sauce
1 tbl. spoon minced cilantro

My DW loves this recipe, but with a fraction of the Tabasco, and lemon instead of lime juice.

Mash the avacoado, leaving slightly chunky. Add the remaining ingredients and fold in. Cover and let sit in the fridge for 20 minutes before serving, to allow the cilantro to add its flavor to the sauce. Serve with all kinds of great things, such as;

Filling ingredient for tacos, burritoes

Dip for corn chips, or Tortilla chips

Spread over fried corn tortilla and top with seasoned ground beef, diced tomato, diced onion, refried beans, and salsa to make a Mexican Pizza

Spread lightly over broiled fish

Use as a salad dressing

Place a dollop on top of a bowl of good, hearty chilli

Serve as a topping for enchiladas, or tamales

Use as a dip for raw veggies

Eat it with a spoon!:ROFLMAO:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

we love quac but we hate cilantro so i leave it out. i use haas usually bit lately we can only find chiquita avacados. which is ok because they taaste good and are perfectly ripe from the store (i usually have to buy haas 3 -4 days before i want to use them).

i add red onion, tomato, s &p, lime/lemon, parsley or i just add my homemade salsa, if i have any on hand, to it and lime/lemon.

i buy my guacamole & it's not nearly as great as fresh! i'll be utilizing these recipes to custom blend my guac! if jake likes it....

OK here's mine:

2 ripe haas avocados
onion juice, 1/4 tsp or to taste (don't like raw onion)
1 seeded, finely diced tomato
1/2 jalepeno, seeded and very finely diced
juice of 1 lemon
a handful of chopped cilantro
salt and pepper to taste

My favorite way to eat guac is with beef enchiladas w/sour cream sauce and of course w/chips!!

Thanks for these different ideas on the guacamole dip. I think I might try it in a taco salad. Thanks, Kathy W.

In mine, I prefer the avacado flavor to predominate so I keep it very simple.

Avacado
A little mayonnaise or sour cream (just enough for texture)
A squeeze of lemon or lime juice
Salt
A dash of garlic powder
A little finely chopped onion or green onion

I never use any picante (peppers or hot sauce), tomato, or cilantro. To me, their flavors are too strong and tend to dominate the dish and detract from the natural avacado flavor.

Help!...just about to use up two over-ripe avacadoes, mashed them up, added chili powder, salt, cumin....but found out I have no lemons or limes, nor juice of either. I do have oranges and grapefruits, and rice wine vinegar.....

any suggestions?

Help!...just about to use up two over-ripe avacadoes, mashed them up, added chili powder, salt, cumin....but found out I have no lemons or limes, nor juice of either. I do have oranges and grapefruits, and rice wine vinegar.....

any suggestions?

The orange or grapefruit juice would add a nice dimension of flavor.

You don't have to have any citrus. You can mash them and a little salsa to make it real simple.

If you put the whole seeds back in quac it will keep it from turning brown.

There are so many variations of guacamole that it's almost impossible to pin down. One thing for sure, you need avocados in it! After that the recipes become varied. It can be as simple as mashed avocados with some garlic powder and salt. Garlic salt becomes problematic because the garlic:salt ratio is fixed, and usually too heavy on the salt not the garlic. Better to add them separately.

As I'm typing this I've just returned from the supermarket where avocados were on sale, so I've thrown together a quick guacamole: avocados, crushed chili pepper, garlic powder, salt. I would add many more ingredients if I had them but I don't. Lime juice and cilantro would have been nice.

I would have posted my recipe if I had an official one but I don't. I make mine differently every time, depending on what I've got on hand or what I bought. So instead I'll post Piioneer Woman's guacamole recipe because hers looks like a good one:

FOR THE PICO DE GALLO:
5 whole Plum (roma) Tomatoes
1/2 whole Large (or 1 Small) Onion
3 whole Jalapeno Peppers
Cilantro
Lime Juice
Salt To Taste
_____
FOR THE GUACAMOLE:
3 whole Avocados
Pico De Gallo
Lime Juice
Salt To Taste

(full recipe here)
Directions: Make the pico de gallo, add an appropriate amount of it to your mashed avocados. You decide how much to add. IMO the lime juice is a very important ingredient!

In her book she makes the point that to make pico de gallo you need approximately equal amounts of chopped tomatoes, chopped onions and chopped cilantro. Then add heat (chopped jalapenos) according to your hotness preferences.

The only remaining problem, what to serve with it? Once again the possibilities are too limitless to list them. I've been eating mine on pita crackers and I've just added some potato chips to the plate. The only question left: will I be satisfied with 1/4 of an avocado or will I make more? :)

I agree with you greg on the variations. Especially here in CA.

A few of the non traditionals things I have tried have been;

Corn kernels
Chopped black olives
Chopped radish
Rosemary
Fruit or cactus leaves
sour cream-This IS non traditional but a good way to stretch in a pinch
Cumin-way good!

Oh yeah, I use cumin ("comino") too, a very Latino spice.

Adding sour cream or mayonnaise to guacamole is not traditional, but it is traditional to serve sour cream or "queso fresco" (fresh cheese) with Mexican dishes, along side with guacamole.

Cumin is crazy good! Now that you mentioned it I'll be sorry if I have some and didn't add it. I'm moving on to the serving dinner phase as I type, I didn't make any more guacamole.

A lot of people criticize avocados as having too much fat. I counter, we have become obsessed with low fat foods. Avocados have a good kind of fat. The common dietary sin is eating too much starchy food, not too much fat. Fat doesn't make you fat, it's starch that makes you fat. Starch goes right into your blood stream and gets stored as fat. The fat you consume continues on to your intestines where it is destined for slower metabolizing and can be used as required instead of must be stored when it hits your blood stream. Oops, better get off my soap box! ;)

Oh, and #1 avocado secret: Do not refrigerate them! Store avocados even ones that have been partially cut at room temperature. The refrigerator ruins them. Wrap them in plastic as well as possible to prevent oxidization. A drizzle of lime juice can also prevent oxidization.

Last edited:
I keep mine on the counter and have NEVER had a extra half! The good fat helps lower your cholesterol and the bad fats. Nuts are the same way. I bet pine nuts would work in Quac! BRB!

I keep mine on the counter and have NEVER had a extra half! The good fat helps lower your cholesterol and the bad fats. Nuts are the same way. I bet pine nuts would work in Quac! BRB!

True, there is never leftover avocado. As a matter of fact we have to buy two, one for each. For some reason we cannot share.:pig:

any suggestions?

I enjoy it plain sometimes, or with deseeded diced tomatoes.

It's a longshot, but if you have crabmeat, add it to the Guac. Deelish!!!

Last edited:
Volcanic Molcajete Aztec Mortar Guacamole

Thank you for the very interesting post on Guacamole varieties ...

Having lived one year in Jalisco and one year in the city of Diego Rivera and Frida Kahlo, the aromas, colors and flavours of guacamole certainly do enchant.

Firstly, I prepare my Guacamole with HASS avocados from Mexico only. I employ an Aztec traditional stone mortar called a Mol ca he te to pound the avocado interior into a chunky paste ...

Taquería de Alamillo, owner Rita Sánchez had taught me to make her Jalisco family guacamole as follows:

2 Hass avocados
1 medium size onion
3 or 4 cloves of garlic minced
1 tblsp Evoo ( mayonnaise is a no no, as it diguises the taste ) Or Avocado Oil from Chile
salt and black pepper
1 Serrano Chili Pepper sliced finely
*** tomato is optional and not employed in Jalisco
1 Aztec Stone Molcajete Mortar with stone Pestle
fresh cilantro minced finely

Pound the ingredients in the Molcajete until all are combined.

Serve with blue corn chips ( warm ), yellow and white ...

Have a Dos Equis Black Beer or other type Mexican Beer.

Experience a palette of colors and a palate of sensations and an imagination to mingle with Mexico´s paradise of colors and tastes.

Margi Cintrano.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom