Hummus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
hummus

nogeskog, you like Trader Joe's? Had an announcement that they were going to be two grand openings of the stores here in St Louis. I will visit them when the crowds die down. Are they pretty good? In price I mean. Sounds like some kind of health food store like Whole Foods. I like them.

Re: hummus

In the Kitchen said:
nogeskog, you like Trader Joe's? Had an announcement that they were going to be two grand openings of the stores here in St Louis. I will visit them when the crowds die down. Are they pretty good? In price I mean. Sounds like some kind of health food store like Whole Foods. I like them.

In The Kitchen, they are absolutely awesome. They have a large variety of unusual goods, plus their own line which they guarantee. Their prices are between $1-2 less than supermarkets because they do not advertise. They kitchen test all their products before they import them. THey have fresh produce, most of it is organic, cheese, frozen imported stuff. They have a lot of unusual meats like buffalo, Australian lamb, all fish most of which is frozen. I do 80% of my shopping there. To give you an idea, here TJ's milk quart .89 market 1.29; sour cream $1.29 market 1.89, eggs 1.29, market 2.99, Stash tea 1.99 market 3.99. Try it and let me know how you like it.

Trader Joes ROCKS! The prices are great and the quality of their foods are fantastic. I really love the prepared Mexican food. The enchiladas, tamales, and all that stuff are so inexpensive, but so tasty. I keep a bunch in the freezer for when I come home and don't feel like cooking.

sniff............we don't have Trader Joe's around here that I know of. You guys are makin' me jealous. I refuse to drive into Georgetown and go to Dean and DeLucca's and pay their prices. Too "inside the Beltway" for me.

Can buy hummus at the supermarket, but it is so expensive.

Much cheaper to make it myself.

I always make it with canned garbanzos, but work with someone who claims it is much better if you make it from the dried chick peas.

Will probably try it one of these days, but the stuff from the can seems to work just fine.

Do I appreciate this board? You bet I do! Have given me so many comments and responses plus where to find additional help, I do thank you. #1 son thanks you too. He enjoys eating the suggestions you provide. So grateful he is interested in trying to eat healthy. We all should. I know people are becoming more conscious of their diet due to the result of fast food eating and it just doesn't pay. Anything fast is not good. I only use the microwave for heating something never baking in it. I am also thankful I can eat the hummus and not have to deal with any physical problems. Seems easy to digest. As you said, auntdot, starting something from the beginning probably has more flavor and well worth it. I will investigate this after T hanksgiving or before if time allowed. Everybody eating turkey? Really starts to bother me that have to continue eating many days afterwards. But I am thankful for being able to buy a turkey and prepare it for my family. That is the idea about Thanksgiving not to think about eating but what we have to be grateful for. In fact, Thanksgiving should be celebrated everyday in some form or another. Like now I am grateful to communicate with all you generous people. I give thanks for you.

I'm so glad there's a thread about Hummus, as I've had a problem with it in the past. My problem is the tahini. It always tastes bitter to me, and I wonder if it's the brands I have tried. Can anyone recommend a really good tahini paste that isn't bitter?

I'm Gonna Try This One!!!

Hi Everyone! I haven't visited for too many months. I was wanting to make some homemade hummus and this is the recipe I'm gonna try. It's so yummy! Thanks.

Yakuta said:
In the Kitchen, I am assuming you know how to make hummus.

Anyway here is how I make it. Middie's recipe is similar the only thing is that I like to keep Tahini (Sesame paste) handy at home.

Garlic - 3 cloves
3 tbsp of tahini paste
1 can garbanzo beans
4 tbsp of olive oil
juice of 1 lemon
pinch of cumin
lots of chopped flat leaf parsley
paprika for garnish
salt to taste

Blend all the ingredients except paprika and parsley which are used to garnish the hummus.

Now to using it. The best thing to make with hummus is falafel. It's basically a dry bean powder that you mix with water and spices of your choice even herbs. Mix it all together to create a thick batter. Drop by tbsps into hot oil and then drain on paper towels

Serve on pocket pitas with chopped cucumbers, onions and tomatoes and a generous serving of hummus smeared. It's really very very good.

Hummus can also be used as a sandwich spread for roasted vegetable paninis or any other sandwiches (hot or cold).

Just had a long discussion on hummus on another board and the amazing revelation that for the very best hummus you need to de-skin the garbanzos. And for falafel, the chickpeas are soaked but not cooked. I think hummus and falafel are very different things.

Here is a recipe by a woman in Athens who is one terrific cook
Falafel With Taratoor Sauce Recipe | Recipezaar

And her hummus recipe although she doesn't mention the garbanzo skinning!
Hummus Recipe | Recipezaar

Last edited:
Candocook, just some wee bit more information. Falafel is actually a sandwich which is filled with fried fritters (traditionally made of dry fava beans and in some places with chickpeas) along with some type of dressing (Hummus) and fillings (your choice, you can be creative, it may not be traditional but hey it has to suit your taste buds right).

A lot of Indian and Middle eastern fritters use raw beans (soak them overnight and then drain the water and grind it add some salt, seasonings and fresh herbs and even a finely chopped jalapeno to it and you are ready to fry them).

In Indian cooking we call that vadas. They can be made with Moong beans, Urad or white beans and any other beans you can think of.

In case of hummus yes skinned garbanzo would be great but it's too much work even after soaking them overnight so I skip it. Just another tip that I have learned is that if you make your chickpeas at home (don't buy the canned stuff) and soak them overnight a lot of the skin will come off of them that you can rinse off and pick out. Although to get it perfectly skinned (all of them is a stretch for me - LOL :) )

Yes, that was the gist of the discussion--a LOT of trouble!! But apparently if you did do it, there was a silkiness to the hummus. And the soaking tip was offered too.
And there is little doubt that hummus would be good on/with falafel. I thought "falafel" IS the fried fritter, put in a pita bread and then dressed with what you want. Yes? No? Thanks. Want to be correct/informed. ;o)
I just took an Indian cooking class at Johnson&Wales and am all excited about the possibilities!! When we left the class that day my mouth was absolutely singing with the fresh flavors we had created!!
You should start a thread about your cuisine (at least that is how I read your post). ;o)

Yakuta - I'm pretty sure that "falafel" are the fritters, rather than the more common "Vegetarian wrap" which has pita bread and falafel and salad inside . I may be wrong, but falafel is always served here on a plate, without the pita bread.

As for skinning the garbanzo/chick peas - well, after soaking you can rub them between your palms to skin them, if you really want to. Personally, I like my hummus with a bit of texture to it. SMOOOOOOth hummus just doesn't seem right to me.

As for Indian "fritters" - well if anyone cares to talk about them, I could carry on for hours! I make a south Indian version of Vadas with split green peas, and serve them with a Tamarind/mint chutney. I've also used Mung beans, split Urid dal, pink lentils, green lentils - and they're all far too delicious to describe without soundbites!!

I agree with Clive that hummus tastes much better without de-skinning the chickpeas. Besides, it adds fibre to your diet.

As for falafel which is made from fava beans or chickpeas, I do believe it is either eaten as a snack/mezze or served wrapped in pita bread.

The vadai or vadas prepared by Indians in the Far East are either with mung beans, lentils etc or spiced batter topped with fresh shrimps and served with green chillies.

I initally thought that falafel were the fritters but when I was in Egypt it was always served with pita. I went to a few authentic middle eastern joints along with our Egyptian driver and asked him about falafel, he said it's always served with pita and it's a vegetarian sandwich just like shwarma which is it's meat sandwich equivalent.

I guess it's a hugely debated topic in terms of whether it's the fritter or the entire sandwich. My understanding is based on my experience in Egypt but again the entire middle east has a version of it and a story to tell about it's origin.

Clive, I am impressed by your knowledge of Indian cooking. I salute you because you know so much about every possible Indian dish (even the ones that some would consider exotic) and you are not afraid to try them. :)

Yakuta said:
I initally thought that falafel were the fritters but when I was in Egypt it was always served with pita. I went to a few authentic middle eastern joints along with our Egyptian driver and asked him about falafel, he said it's always served with pita and it's a vegetarian sandwich just like shwarma which is it's meat sandwich equivalent.

I guess it's a hugely debated topic in terms of whether it's the fritter or the entire sandwich.

I don't think it really matters, providing it tastes good!!:chef:

Back
Top Bottom