Hummus (Humus) Recipe TNT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yummyrecipes

Assistant Cook
:rolleyes: Probably the best recipe you can find:rolleyes:

250 g (9 oz) chickpeas, boiled until soft (or use canned) and peeled
4 tablespoons tahini (sesame paste)
1 lemon's juice
6 tablespoons olive oil
300 ml water
1/2 teespoon salt
1/2 teespoon sugar

Garnish:
Olive oil
cayenne pepper or paprika
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1 small pomegranate, peeled and weeded out

Put chickpeas in a food processor; mill until it is smooth and flour-like. Add tahini, lemon juice, olive oil, sugar and salt and mix them. Add water and continue mixing untill it gets a runny consistency (nearly same as tahini).

Pour this mixture on to a flat serving dish, and sprinkle the oil smoothly and the cayenne pepper or paprika, pomegranate grains and parsley decoratively on the top before serving.

Note: If your food processor has not enough capacity, divide all the ingredients in two, then follow same steps for each part. Also if you desire a sourish hummus just add more lemon juice.

goodgiver said:
What is 300ml of water
300 milliliters of water. It's the measurement system that the rest of the world outside of the US uses. :ROFLMAO:

Google Imperial Metric measurement. I can never remember the exact conversion amounts.

Yummy - looks like a good, classic recipe. We might try the pomegranate this winter when they are back in season.

ETA: Here is a fairly handy conversion site, Goodgiver: >:: World Wide Metric ::<

Last edited:
I'll give your recipe a try - sounds like it would go well with fruit.

Traditionally hummus recipes include garlic but not sugar - I would include one medium/large crushed garlic clove with the quantities above and leave out the sugar. This makes it a great dip for corn chips etc.

You can use less water or even no water if you want a less runny hummus. I like mine to be spreadable like soft butter.

I can't imagine a hummus recipe without garlic!

Not sure why sugar is in there and also not sure why you'd need to "peel" cooked chick peas.

popping the skins off the chickpeas gives a really smooth and yummy hummus.
(not all come off in the cooking, so rub them gently in your hands or squeeze them gently between your fingers.)

IMO hummus should not have sugar in it (unless of course it has gone sour).:LOL: After all, chickpeas are sweet enough in their natural state. I do mine with the chickpea skin on. Garlic is definitely one of the key ingredients. A sprinkling of paprika adds some kick besides allowing for a more colourful presentation.

I buy my chick peas canned, then drain and reserve the liquid and use it instead of regular tap water (you'll need less salt if you do this). Definitely a clove or two of garlic.

Yup, garlic is a key ingredient in hummus! And instead of water, I use yoghurt to thin it out. I also garnish with olives.

Has to have garlic, and about 1/2 a large onion in the prosessor. I use the canned chick peas and use the "juice" istead of water too! Oh, and and cilantro if I have some on hand.

Never tried it with sugar.

Last edited:
I never thought of using pomegranate, as a garnish.
Thanks for that idea.:)

Back
Top Bottom