ISO Chile Con Queso Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LPBeier

Certified Cake Maniac
Moderator Emeritus
Does anyone have a recipe for this Mexican cheese dip that uses real cheddar instead of the processed cheese (like Velveeta, etc.) I am allergic to the dyes and processing of these cheeses but love the spicy cheesy dip!

Thanks!

Thanks, I have already been through the search about 4 times and they all use either processed cheese or a combination. I found one, but I wasn't impressed with the results. I thought I would try here on the forums but I guess I may just have to keep experimenting.

I have been Googling for ages and didn't know that - thanks so much! I guess it is good that I got out of the computer business (web designer for 10 years) and became a cook! ;) Also thanks for the recipe link. This looks very close to what I am looking for; however since I am not familiar with longhorn cheese I will probably substitute white cheddar.

Last edited:
Basically think of making a fondue. Use any cheese you want and add the ingredients you want.

Well, this is one time when I believe in substituting something in a recipe without a second thought - real cheese for the processed cheese.

Here is GB's recipe for Queso Blanco

If you look at the recipes from the link I gave you and compare them - they are similar.

I don't think I've ever gone by a recipe - but, it goes something like this:

2 Cups cheddar - grated fine
1 can RO*TEL Tomatoes and Green Chilies or your favorite bottled Pecante Sauce
1-2 tablespoons butter
about 1/2-1 cup cream, or milk

Put the butter, Ro*Tel tomatoes and grated cheese in a double boiler and heat until the cheese is melted - stir frequently with a wire whisk. If it is too thick - thin with some cream or milk.

If you don't have Ro*Tel tomatoes and chilies - use your favorite pecante sauce. Or, you can even use your favorite homemade salsa - although I don't like cilantro in my chili con queso.

You can even brown some crumbled hamburger meat with some diced onion, drain it, add some taco seasoning and add that - or use drained crumbled sausage.

Hey, it's just melted cheese, onions, tomatoes, chilies, and something to adjust the thickness (milk or cream) and added butter for a velvety richness. Adjust the ingredients to your liking - heck even add some garlic powder if you want, or some finely minced jalapeño peppers. Dad used to make it with a white cheddar-jalapeño cheese he brought back from Mexico when he was going down there a lot.

Last edited:
Thanks, Michael and everyone.

Usually I am famous for just playing around with ingredients until I feel I have "copied" a dish or even improved on the original. I was just not sure with the total difference in consistency between cheddar and process cheese. But these are great helps and I will no doubt have some fun with it. I just got a craving for it the other day while at a movie theatre watching my husband eat those awful cardboard nachos and fake cheese sauce!

Back
Top Bottom