ISO: Guacamole dip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
kadesma said:
Jenny,
I like the looks of your recipe, will have to try it ..I just picked up 4 avocados at 39 cents each...Can't not make it now :LOL: Thanks for sharing...
kadesma

13.gif
OMG this is not fair, they cost an average of 1€ a piece here!! I guess I must try and plant one of those pits and see if we can grow them at home....
15.gif

My guacamole contain

mashed avocado
finely chopped scallion
chopped cilantro
lime juice
chopped and seeded tomato
white pepper

I found that salt is not necessary in guacamole, the flavour seems to be much fuller and pleasant without it.

jennyema said:
.39 each? YIKES! They are like $1 or more here and they aren't that good.

At .39 I'd have a serious avacado-eating problem!:ohmy:
Jenny, you would not be alone, I've laready done in two of them :LOL: I'm going by the store tomorrow and get some that are not ripe and let them rippen on top of the refrigerator...I was really shocked at the price, they went from 1.69 to .39 in just a week!!! I'm not goning to whine, just BUY:ROFLMAO:

kadesma

I knew when I saw the price of avocados, it had to be California. Ours, when on sale, are .99 each. We treasure them though.

Texas, I pretty much like avacados no matter how you slice em. I would add very little and not over mash. Some folks like it chunky, others don't. I add very little, some lemon juice (not lime) chopped onions (red) , if you like add hot sauce. I like to taste the avacado, and on occasion I'll add diced tomatoes. Some people might add salsa and or sour cream. Make it your own, to your taste.

MIsh, I agree, your idea is a good one.Avocado's are just about my favorite thing, just a sprinkle of salt and I eat it like that...Yummy and the taste is heaven :) Although, I do like my dad's avocado dip,it's a staple for my family...but an aquired taste for others...:LOL:

kadesma

Leaving the avacado pit (whole) in the serving dish will prevent the guacamole from turning brown- just make sure no one tries to eat it!!! A trick I learned from a lady at work! :cool:

At .39 apiece, I'd just peel them and eat them with a bit of French or Catalina dressing. (My apologies to the gourmands out there who don't like bottled dressing.)

No need to apologise Connie, if you're an avocado lover you eat them the way you like them..:LOL:
kadesma:)

Guacamole in Goodweed's household goes like this (taught to me by a native Californian, my wife:mrgreen:).

2 ripe Haas avacadoes
2 tbs. freshly diced ripe tomato
1 tsp. finely minced onion, or 1/8 tsp. granulated onion
powder
1 tbs. either lemon or lime juice, depending on what I've got
in the house (I too like lime better, but the wife likes
lemon)
3 shakes Tobasco Red Pepper Sauce

Mash it all together and serve with tortilla chips or on something Mexican or Tex-Mex, especially burritoes, or tacosmade with fresh corn tortillas. Also good with enchilada, tostada, shredded beef anything, carne asada anything, etc.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Texas, came across this one & remembered your post. While I have not tried it (yet), like the idea for a party bite. You could use any recipe of choice. Personally, I would omit the Cilantro and the chili powder and might experiment with won ton skins.

Avocado In Tortilla Cups
10 6-inch corn tortillas
vegetable cooking spray
3 large ripe avocados
2 cups (456 g) plain nonfat yogurt, drained
1 large plum tomato, seeded and finely minced
2 tablespoons (20 g) minced shallots or red onion
2 large cloves garlic, minced
3 tablespoons (45 ml) fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons (30 ml) fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon (5 ml) chili powder
dash cayenne pepper
10 pitted ripe olives for garnish
minced fresh cilantro for garnish

Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C), Gas Mark 5. Lightly spray mini-muffin cups with cooking spray.

Cut tortillas into quarters. Mist tortilla quarters with water and place 1 quarter in each muffin cup opening, pushing down in the center to form a cup. Spray again with cooking spray. Bake until cups are golden and crisp, about 5 minutes. Tip out the cups and cool on a rack.

Cut avocados in half lengthwise; remove and discard the pits. Using a spoon worked in between the flesh and the skin, remove the avocado half from the skin. Cut the avocado into 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces. Using a large mixing spoon, mix the avocado with the yogurt, mashing the avocado as you mix to a chunky consistency. Stir in tomato, shallot, garlic, lemon juice, lime juice, chili powder, and cayenne. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.

Cut each olive into 4 crosswise slices. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.

To assemble, spoon some of the avocado mixture into each tortilla cup. Sprinkle the top of each with some of the minced cilantro and top with an olive slice. Arrange on a large serving platter.
Makes 40 pieces

Another thought - if I recall, there are flavored tortillas out there. Might want to experiment with one that appeals to you.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom