ISO Onion rings how-to?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is the recipe I use. I use my mandolin to slice the onions.

2 large onions, halved, thinly sliced
1 cup buttermilk

2 cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoon salt
2 teaspoons paprika
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Vegetable oil (for frying)

Separate onions into strips. Mix with buttermilk in large bowl. Cover with plastic and refrigerate 1 hour. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Keep refrigerated.)

Stir flour, salt, paprika, and cayenne pepper in another large bowl. Drain onions. Add to flour mixture and toss to coat. Pour oil into heavy saucepan to depth of 3 inches. Heat to 350°F. Working in small batches, shake excess flour off onions and cook in hot oil until golden brown and crispy, about 2 minutes per batch. Using slotted spoon, transfer onions to paper towels and drain.

Transfer onions to platter. Season with salt.

Serves 4.

We've soaked the onions in Hot Sauce for a nice kick. Really yummy!

For a healthier alternative, try this baked onion ring recipe I saw on tv. Haven't tried it yet, but I plan to. We've had great luck with everything Ellie Krieger makes. She also soaks in buttermilk, then crumbs with baked potato chips and a little cayenne.

You can also go in another direction - bake the onion rings rather than deep fry. Have a recipe for Tony Roma's onion ring loaf. Your peel the onions off the loaf & eat. Let me know if you're interested.

Back
Top Bottom