ISO Ranch Dip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
well, the back of the packet says add sour cream and spinach. Well, I don't eat Spinach and was wondering if I could substitute it for romaine.

So a packet of ranch mix is being used? I don't think it would work well, but I guess you never know. Maybe a butter crunch variety lettuce might work better than Romaine...
I am not a huge fan of spinach either and will not eat it any other way (not on pizza not creamed, etc), but I will use it in the dip. When I make it I just make sure the spinach is chopped up real good and use slightly less than suggested.
Otherwise maybe a Swiss Chard might work as well. Just trying to think of things that would give you the same consistency and not clash...maybe even a Bok Choy.

I honestly have NO idea what you mean.

Ranch dip is an "add mayo/sour cream, milk/cream" type of deal. Never heard of adding spinach. I might be on the wrong ranch though.

Romaine has a much higher water content then spinach either way, and I could not really stand behind telling you to use romaine in any "dip". As a salad, sure, halved and brushed with oil and herbs then grilled, sure. But I am not feeling a dip, at least not ranch.

I honestly have NO idea what you mean.

Ranch dip is an "add mayo/sour cream, milk/cream" type of deal. Never heard of adding spinach. I might be on the wrong ranch though.

Romaine has a much higher water content then spinach either way, and I could not really stand behind telling you to use romaine in any "dip". As a salad, sure, halved and brushed with oil and herbs then grilled, sure. But I am not feeling a dip, at least not ranch.
Hidden Valley has a "Ranch Spinach dip" recipe on the back of the package. Sour cream, frozen spinach defrosted and drained, and a package of HV Ranch Dip. You can't substitute lettuce for the spinach, it won't work. The point of frozen spinach is it's soft and cooked, lettuce is not soft. I would just make the ranch dip, not the spinach ranch dip.

well, the back of the packet says add sour cream and spinach. Well, I don't eat Spinach and was wondering if I could substitute it for romaine.

When our children were small and wouldn't eat spinach, I subbed cooked chopped broccoli for it. Over time, I began to replace chopped spinach for the broccoli and, after a while, they were eating spinach without realizing.

Perhaps you could substitute cooked chopped broccoli, drained well instead of spinach.

Back
Top Bottom