ISO sauce recomendation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieD

Chef Extraordinaire
I make deep fried stuffed mushrooms. That I usually serve by itself as appetizer. The other day I was in restaurant and they served very similar mushrooms with some white sauce. Even though the sauce itself was nothing to write home about or even worse, I thought it was a good idea to serve the mushrooms with the sauce. Thus come my question, what kind of sauce would you recommend to make?

I make deep fried stuffed mushrooms. That I usually serve by itself as appetizer. The other day I was in restaurant and they served very similar mushrooms with some white sauce. Even though the sauce itself was nothing to write home about or even worse, I thought it was a good idea to serve the mushrooms with the sauce. Thus come my question, what kind of sauce would you recommend to make?

What do you stuff the mushrooms with?

I cut smaller mushrooms and sautee them with onions and herbs, sometimes with addition of cheese, sometimes not. Then stuff the mushrooms and dip them in flour, egg and breadcrumbs (regular stuff) and fry.

Maybe a nice cheese sauce, made with Gruyere or other Swiss-like cheese?

Charlie, could it have been a white sauce? The kind that is made with milk. Flour, fat and milk. A very basic and easy sauce to make.

But knowing some of the Kosher dietary laws, if you had meat with the meal, then it had to be something else.

marinara sauce like is served with mozzarella sticks

Without seeing it or tasting it, I would venture a guess and say béchamel sauce. If you are keeping kosher, you can substitute extra virgin olive oil for the butter and soy or almond milk for the dairy.

TGI Fridays used to serve fried mushies with a lightly whipped heavy cream, horsradish, S and P sauce. I've had the same at a couple of other restaurants. In fact, that was 1 of our sauces for our fondue meal last week. One of the other restaurants served fried zucchini chips with the same sauce.

Last edited:
White sauce is pretty plain on its own. It could be a remoulade sauce - seasoned mayonnaise with any number of things included, like minced onion, celery, pickles, etc. Mayo thinned with a little vinegar seasoned with herbs would be good. The tanginess would offset the fried mushrooms nicely.

Last edited:
Charlie, could it have been a white sauce? The kind that is made with milk. Flour, fat and milk. A very basic and easy sauce to make.

But knowing some of the Kosher dietary laws, if you had meat with the meal, then it had to be something else.

Dairy is not a problem, problem that the sauce they served was disgusting.
I want something nice.

Sounds like I was not clear about my question. I do not care what kind of sauce was served in the restaurant. I need advise what kind of sauce I should serve?

I would do an easy version of aioli - just a blend of mayo, garlic, and lemon juice.

Maybe a sprinkling of chopped parsley so it looks pretty. :)

Last edited:
White sauce is pretty plain on its own. It could be a remoulade sauce - seasoned mayonnaise with any number of things included, like minced onion, celery, pickles, etc. Mayo thinned with a little vinegar seasoned with herbs would be good. The tanginess would offset the fried mushrooms nicely.

I think this would be a good, Charlie.

Do you keep Kosher, Chuck?
It seems folks are assuming that, but I can't recall if you do. Most Jews that I know do not. Well, not strictly. My high school gf's family owned a Kosher meat company, so they were very strict about it. I found it very interesting.

If you don't, a nice roasted garlic cream sauce would work.

A home-made ranch dressing made of mayonaise, Minced basil, minced oregano, a little garlic powder, minced onion, maybe a hint of dill weed, and salt and pepper make a great sauce for stuffed mushrooms.

Spinach dip would work very well with this also, cream cheese, chopped water chestnuts, minced onion, and chopped fresh spinach.

As stated before, a good marinara, basil based, would be good, as would a pesto.

Get creative and make a cheese fondue to dip the mushrooms in. That would be tasty.

Here's a unique idea, a good beef au jus, thickend with a little cornstarch slurry, and ladled over the mushrooms.

I'm not familiar with Kosher rules, and so please excuse my ingnorance if I have included anything that is not Kosher.

Another good option would be a Mornay Sauce.

In answer to your question, Hunter's Sauce -
http://www.food.com/recipe/hunters-sauce-with-mushrooms-84564

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
Do you keep Kosher, Chuck?
It seems folks are assuming that, but I can't recall if you do. Most Jews that I know do not. Well, not strictly. My high school gf's family owned a Kosher meat company, so they were very strict about it. I found it very interesting.

If you don't, a nice roasted garlic cream sauce would work.

We are not assuming. We know that Charlie strictly keeps kosher.

Heck, who needs a forum?

If Charlie is strict in his Kosher ways, then he could never serve a dairy sauce with a meat filling, but he said it wasn't a problem. You might want to read up on current Jewish cultures, GG. To quote Ohr Sumayach, one can accomplish "a great deal by proactively fulfilling certain mitzvot of Shabbat even if he transgresses others."

Or you could just let Charlie answer a question asked of him.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom