Nachos with red sauce...how to make?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DavidO

Assistant Cook
I wanted to make some California style mexican food - nachos in partcular. I remember having nacho's years ago that had a nice RED SAUCE (I believe it was paste or at least the server said so) on them, but I don't know how they made it. Any ideas?

Hi and welcome to Discuss Cooking [emoji2]

That could be either a tomato sauce, like a cooked tomato salsa, or a chile sauce. Which one are you interested in?

it wasn't spicy and it DID NOT have chunks in it or visible veggies. It looks like straight red paste. I don't know if that answers your question...

By paste, you mean a really thick substance? I haven't seen nachos with something like that, either. A tomato salsa doesn't necessarily have chunks of vegetables. I know of some recipes that call for roasting, then puréeing, the ingredients, so it's smooth but not a thick paste.

Last edited:
Hi DavidO, and welcome to DC. :flowers:

I've been in CA all my life and have never seen nachos with just a red sauce. The definition of nachos is tortilla chips topped with cheese, but can include other toppings that are red, such as salsa or hot sauce. You said it wasn't chunky or spicy, so that rules those two out, though.

Are you sure you're not thinking of enchiladas?

Something like this: it looks like tomato paste I think.

Attachments

• thumb_600.jpg
    thumb_600.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 269
  • www.eat-this-town.com_wp-content_uploads_2014_08_IMG_2786-1024x768.jpg
    www.eat-this-town.com_wp-content_uploads_2014_08_IMG_2786-1024x768.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:
Something like this: it looks like tomato paste I think.

Do those pictures come with recipes?

I've never seen nachos with "paste" like that

But they sometimes come with a red sauce ( e.g., Ranchera sauce) addition to salsa

Last edited:
I was thinking enchilada sauce as well, but when I started to look through recipes, nothing seemed to jump out as the same texture or colour.
By the way, thank you for the replies.

I think that is Ancho chili paste or sauce. also look at Chili Colorado, or New Mexico red chili. It is made from peppers that rippen and turn red, then are dried. all green peppers turn red, or yellow or something.

They are usually sold dry in bags, then cooked a bit, then rehydrated and blended with spices etc. to make a paste. the paste is a base for many suaces in Mexico.

Note in your photos, the sauce is Brick Red. The peppers can be hot or mild.

The top photo is served with a small bowl of Red Tomato Salsa. It is Bright Red, like Tomatos.

I like the Red Salsa, Green avacado, and Sour Cream.. The colors of the Mexican Flag!

Eric, Austin Tx.

Hm. Still have a feeling it might be enchilada sauce. My bottle of Trader Joe's strangely resembles what you posted. And not real spicy, with no chunks.

I really don't think it's a paste. It looks to me like it was drizzled on. If your grocery store has a Latin foods section, it should have canned enchilada sauce. I've used Old El Paso and it's okay. I would just use salsa myself. There are many ways to make nachos. In fact, here are a bunch, plus a recipe generator to make your own combination [emoji2]

http://www.seriouseats.com/2017/01/12-super-bowl-nachos-recipes.html

Last edited:
Trader Joe's bottled enchilada sauce is the best I've ever tried! :yum:
Is Trader Joe's in Canada? The OP is in Ontario, if I'm not mistaken.

David, it can be a bit of a project to make a homemade Mexican sauce like this, but you can make a good-sized batch and freeze it. Then you can use it for nachos, enchiladas, tacos, burritos, etc. Meat preparations and sauces are used in many different combinations in Mexican cooking.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom