Need Help with Fireside Antojitos! Can't find a recipe!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Antojitos Recipe.....works pretty well at making the dish almost exactly as Montana's

Appetizer Antojitos

Makes: 3 servings, 2 each Total Time: 1 hr 15 min

Ingredients:
  • 12" soft tortilla shell
  • 1/2 cup Kraft shredded Tex Mex cheese
  • 1 cup cream cheese
  • 1/4 cup green onions
  • 1/4 cup red peppers
  • 1/8 cup jalapeno peppers
  • 1/4 cup sour cream
  • 1/2 tsp basil pesto
Preparation
Place the cream cheese in a mixing bowl and let it sit to soften at room temperature.

Finely chop the onions and peppers and then mix with cream cheese.

Lay the tortillas out on a flat work surface and use a spatula to spread a thin layer of the cream cheese mixture over the surface of the tortilla. Sprinkle shredded cheddar cheese evenly over the mixture. Roll the tortilla into a tube shape and score the top of the bread six times.

In an oven pre-heated to 375 degrees F bake for 4 minutes or until golden brown.

Remove the roll from the oven and cut into seven pieces.

Dipping sauce:

Combine the sour cream and the basil pesto together for a refreshing dip for these spicy appetizers.

Serve with sour cream mixture or your favourite dipping sauce (salsa, guacamole etc.).

Notes
(Substitute your favourite cheese or vegetables or hot sauce to personalize this dish. For a less spicy variety omit the jalapenos and use green peppers instead.)

In Mexican cooking, antojito refers to a little fried snack that is shaped from masa, the same stuff you use to make corn tortillas. Instead of flattening the masa in a tortilla press, you hand shape it into chalupas (little boats) or gorditas (means "little fatty") or other assorted shapes. They're usually fried on a comal or griddle and filled with shredded chicken, beef, cheese, onions, etc. So this is a loose adaptation of the original meaning...but it sounds really GOOD. I make tortilla pinwheels alot, but never thought to bake them or fry them before slicing. Sounds like a great idea, though.

Here ya go...

But would slicing them give the outside layer that crispy crust? And what about melting? Would it just be an awful mess?

This would help so much if I could actually see/taste these things? Canadians out there...wanna go have a snack and report back? :D

I went to montanas the other night and I have to say these antojitos really are DELCICIOUS... It's my new favorite appetizer. Funny I'm making them tonight!

a really nice touch is to serve them on a bed of lettuce
with a sour cream/basil sauce
<<<<<<<<<<RECIPE>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Antijitos
Contributed by: News Canada

Make the most of family time in the kitchen (NC) - Make the most of the hectic holiday season by spending time in the kitchen with your family. The folks at Montana's Cookhouse - "experts in the kitchen", recommend turning holiday entertaining into a family affair.

Holiday Antijitos
"Wherever possible, choose simple dishes like our delicious Antijito appetizer that everyone can help with," recommends Peter DeGroot, Vice President of Operations, Montana's Cookhouse. "The whole family can lend a hand by assembling ingredients, reading directions and of course helping with the clean up!"

If you're really pressed for time this holiday season, or you have a family who just doesn't like to cook - head out to a Montana's Cookhouse or enjoy the convenience of Curbside Pick Up. Call 1-877-RIBS-TOGO, drive to the location of your choice and a Montana's teammate will deliver the hot food right to you car!

Ingredients:
*splash w. sauce
* 12" soft tortilla shell
* 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
* 1 cup cream cheese
* 1/4 cup green peppers
* 1/4 cup red peppers
* 1/8 cup green onions

Directions:

(Substitute your favourite cheese or vegetables or add jalapeno peppers or hot sauce to personalize this dish)

Place the cream cheese in a mixing bowl and let it sit to soften at room temperature.

Finely chop the onions and peppers and then mix with cream cheese.

Lay the tortillas out on a flat work surface and use a spatula to spread a thin layer of the cream cheese mixture over the surface of the tortilla.

Sprinkle shredded cheddar cheese evenly over the mixture.

Roll the tortilla into a tube shape and score the top of the bread six times.

In an oven pre-heated to 375º F bake for 4 minutes or until golden brown.

Remove the roll from the oven and cut into seven pieces.

Serve with sour cream or your favourite dipping sauce.

Serving Size: Makes 3 Servings

I came across this menu from a restaurant in Canada: Montana's. Click on "From the Kitchen" to display the menu. On the appetizer menu, there's a dish, "Fireside Antojitos". They sound fantastic and I must have this recipe for my parties! Never heard of baked tortilla pinwheels!

The filling sounds easy to duplicate, as does the basil sour cream dip...just keep trying till it tastes good. But it's the baking part...any clues as to how long I would bake these? Sliced first? Or baked as a log? Will they unravel? Get runny?

I worked for Montanas for 4 and a half years.... yet I can't remember the recipe...

yeahhh umm i definitely work at Montanas, and they are baked THEN sliced, i love them, i always get them after work. but i mix the sour cream basil dip, WITH salsa, it's GOOD, cause you still get a kick, but the sour cream balances it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom