Need Thanksgiving appetizer ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeekinz

Washing Up
Heres the rundown:

10 people
Something reletively simple but unique(the range will be occupied by 2 bossy women;))
Possibly something I could partially prepare a day before.

Pepin has a smoked salmon/goat cheese something or another I was thinking of, but I'm affraid it may not suit the rest of the guests palletes.:rolleyes:

TIA

Heres the rundown:

10 people
Something reletively simple but unique(the range will be occupied by 2 bossy women;))
Possibly something I could partially prepare a day before.

Pepin has a smoked salmon/goat cheese something or another I was thinking of, but I'm affraid it may not suit the rest of the guests palletes.:rolleyes:

TIA

One of my favorites is cream cheese and raspberry jalapeño preserves on a cracker.. Tasty with just enough heat to have a bite but still not be "hot". The only problem with it, you tend to eat a lot of it :ROFLMAO:

Buy some prepackaged puff pastry, cut each sheet in half the long way, put on a layer of prosciutto, sprinkle with shredded gruyere and shredded fresh basil. Roll them up to make long thin rolls, seal the edge with some beaten egg, chill, slice 1/2 inch slices and bake on a parchment papered cookie sheet @ 375F for 20 minutes.

Sesame Prawn toast, beggars purses (wonton wrappers with meat and spices inside tied up with the green of a spring onion and deep fried to Crispy), Mini Pizzas (use a cookie cutter to make circles in a tortilla wrap and then put your stuff on), deep fry the remaining tortilla offcuts and toss them in bag with some salt and chili powder, sausage rolls with chili in them, sammosas, pakora, spring rolls....

you`ll sort it :)

My mom is making my crab dip recipe for Thanksgiving - crab meat, cream cheese, milk, a few other things, mixed together on the stove top. It only takes about 20 minutes to make it; then I put it in a chafing dish to keep warm, and serve with crudites and buttery crackers.

Let me know if you want the recipe and I'll look it up when I get home.

I also need an appetizer. But please no dairy of sea food products. Some thing that has meat or vegies, or both, please.

How's about:

(Shrimp) Ceviche - served in a martini glasses

Shrimp wrapped in proscuitto

Melon slices wrapped w proscuitto

Stuffed shrimp

Mushrooms w shrimp stuffing

Posted a link for Smoked Salmon Lollipops

& another recipe I posted for Mushroom Pate (w/i the post is a link for puff pastry stars filled w mushroom pate)

Last edited:
Gaaaalic, can you post that for me? Can it be served cold? What crab meat do you use?

Sure, I'll post it tonight. I've never had it cold - you might need to put some more liquid into it, to make it more "dippable." Since we're located at the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay, we use blue crab meat, which is available fresh in the grocery stores here.

Amy, talk to me about the stuffed mushrooms, paleeeez.;)

Aaahhh, you picked one of my faves. It's on its' way. Another goodie - gazpacho shrimp served in Martooni glasses or stuffed in a cuke. (Posted a recipe for pork/shrimp-stuffed cukes in ethnic section.);)

Can I use those containers of lump or backfin? Which one is better?

Hey, Jeekinz. Yes, that's what I use. Backfin is fine, and should be less expensive. They taste pretty much the same (to me at least - I'm not really a blue-crab connoisseur), but the lump is in larger pieces, so it costs more. It will break up a bit in the dip, so no need to spend extra $$ for lump.

Aaahhh, you picked one of my faves. It's on its' way. Another goodie - gazpacho shrimp served in Martooni glasses or stuffed in a cuke. (Posted a recipe for pork/shrimp-stuffed cukes in ethnic section.);)

There would be alot of full martini glasses at this dinner.:LOL:

But I would like to try the gazpaco shrimp myself.:chef:

I making these two recipes and they can be made ahead of time and frozen and reheated.

Mini Potato and Chicken cutlets:

One whole chicken simmered with chunks of garlic and ginger and then shredded and reserved
3 large potatoes (Idaho) boiled, cooled and riced
Finely chopped cilantro
1 cup of grated cheddar cheese (white cheddar is better)
3 tbsps of asian style sweet chili and garlic sauce (Nam Plae)
3 tbsps of soy sauce
finely chopped green onions (2 bunches)
1 red bell pepper super finely chopped
Handful of cilantro finely chopped

Mix all the ingredients together (chicken, potatoes, sauces, onions, cilantro, cheese etc.). Adjust seasoning(salt, spice and sauces to your liking) and make them into small balls and flatten them and line them on a baking sheet.

Then dip them in some semolina and then in an egg dip (beat some eggs with some soy sauce) and fry them until golden. Drain on paper towels. I like to place them on the baking sheet and freeze them until they are hard. Then pop them out and put them in a ziploc and reserve. You can bake them straight out of the freezer and they reheat beautifully.

Spicy Meatballs:

Ground Beef (3lbs)
1 large onion chopped superfine
1/4 cup of mint superfinely chopped
1/4 cup of cilantro superfinely chopped
1 large egg
2 bread slices soaked in water
2 tsps of freshly roasted and ground cumin
2 tsps of freshly roasted and ground corrainder
2 tsps of paprika
1 small jalapeno or any other green chili superfinely chopped
1/4 stick of ginger minced
2 cloves of garlic finely chopped or minced
salt to taste

Drain water out of the bread, crumble and add to the meat. Stir in all the ingredients and combine using your hands. Let the mixture sit for atleast an hour in the refrigerator.

Make into small balls and line them on a well greased baking tray. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 - 50 minutes until golden brown. Remove and serve with a cilantro lime chutney

I make my chutney by blending cilantro, lime juice, salt, jalapeno and few cloves of garlic. Once the puree is done I stir in a little plain yogurt. You can use that to dip lots of other stuff. I also make a tamarind chutney (tamarind concentrate, chili powder and sugar) and use that a second sauce for dipping.

This is one of my favorites. Simple, but a nice fall cheese spread.

Cranberry Delight Spread

1 pkg (8 oz) cream cheese (I used 30% less fat)
2 Tbsp orange juice concentrate
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1 Tbsp sugar
Zest of one orange
¼ c finely chopped pecans
¼ c finely chopped dry cranberries (Craisins)
Crackers (butter crackers taste good with this)

In an electric mixer bowl combine the cream cheese, juice, cinnamon, and sugar on medium speed until smooth. Fold in orange zest, pecans, and cranberries. Refrigerate. Garnish with a slices of dried cranberry or zest of orange.

Buy some prepackaged puff pastry, cut each sheet in half the long way, put on a layer of prosciutto, sprinkle with shredded gruyere and shredded fresh basil. Roll them up to make long thin rolls, seal the edge with some beaten egg, chill, slice 1/2 inch slices and bake on a parchment papered cookie sheet @ 375F for 20 minutes.

Andy, those sound delicious!

Copied and pasted for Christmas!

Lee

Back
Top Bottom