Potluck ideas...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Swifty said:
Well I was thinking more of an appetizier than can be prepared perhaps ahead of time and doesn't have to be reheated or prepared right before the party and wrapped in tinfoil to retain heat. I don't want to make a dip because the hosts are saying that there will be PLENTY of salads. I was hoping to prepare something more on the savoury bitesize morsels line...know what I mean? I was hoping to keep the use of seafood to a minimum because I haven't had much experience with it and I want to be able to make several times as practice before the potluck. I think spicy will be ok but nothing too hot. My parents are going to a party that is being hosted by my old principal(really nice guy) and I wanted to impress him and his guests. I was talking to him earlier today and he hinted and maybe something more on the ethnic side, and I quote, "Maybe you could try something for us uncultured Canadians to try(I'm Korean)." Mind you, I don't have access to many gourmet or ethnic food-products due to the lack of specialty shops.
How's that for a hint?

An antipasti tray is easy & can be assembled at home at the last minute with a variety of ingredients:

A loaf of crusty Italian bread (focaccia or ciabatta, or sliced bread sticks wrapped in prosciutto)
A variety of olives
Marinated sun-dried tomatoes, mushrooms, or artichokes
Wedges of cheese (goat, Parmesan, mozzarella, etc.)
Hard salamis (pepperoni, Genoa)
Sliced fruit (apples, figs, pears)

Shrimp (Tray) on Ice: Shrimp can be prepared/cleaned at home & make a cocktail sauce. Garnish with sliced lemons and or limes. (Know you were reluctant about seafood, but could keep the shrimp in the fridge till you are ready to go & buy a bag of ice.)

If you can find some won ton wrappers, bake them in a mini muffin tin, let cool (can be made ahead), & fill them with a variety of goodies before you leave.

Sliced cucumber rounds, hollowed out & stuffed with a mixture of seafood, cream cheese, herbs & some hot sauce make a nice presentation & can be done at the last minute. They pair well with strawberries stuffed with a cream cheese mixture or mascarpone all on one platter.

I'll look thru my recipes & see what else I can find. Hope something here peeks your interest.

Back
Top Bottom