REAL Onion Dip Recipe - TNT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kadesma

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
The first time I had onion dip, it was from a package of dry ingredients and mixed with sour cream..Then I found this and it is really nice with potato chips and also as a filling for an omelet.

2-lbs yellow onions sliced thin
3/4 c.- sour cream
4-oz. room temp cream cheese
1-tea. worchestershire sauce
several drops Tabasco
salt and freshly ground black pepper

put onions in a nonstick skillet and cover, and cook over low heat about 20 min, stirring now and then til wilted. Uncover and continue cooking gently about 45 min til very sweet, soft and reduced to just a fraction of original volume. Cool to room temp and stir in remaining ingredients adding salt and pepper to taste.
Makes 2 cups...
enjoy,
kadesma:)

Last edited:
Thanks, kadesma! Copied and pasted...all that packaged stuff tastes so - packaged! :LOL: I'm sure this is so much better and I can't wait to try it. My mom loves dips and chips.

callie said:
Thanks, kadesma! Copied and pasted...all that packaged stuff tastes so - packaged! :LOL: I'm sure this is so much better and I can't wait to try it. My mom loves dips and chips.
Thanks Callie,
we all like it here and my mom is ajunk food snacker for sure..Hope your mom enjoys it and you too of course:LOL:

Thank you!!! This sounds just like the dip I had at a bridal shower and I've been asking for the recipe and never got it.

pdswife said:
Sounds great!!!!

I've added it to my list of must HAVES!

Thanks!!
You're welcome:) Hope you enjoy it. We make it almost for every party.

texasgirl said:
Thank you!!! This sounds just like the dip I had at a bridal shower and I've been asking for the recipe and never got it.
You know, I seem to remember you asking about a dip from a shower, but, as usual I was asleep:LOL: Hope this is just what you wanted.

kadesma, I didn't mean that I asked here and didn't get an answer, sorry, that sounded kinda rude. I meant that I kept asking the host of the party and she kept telling me that she would email it to me and she never did. That was over 6 months ago. Oh well, this sounds like the exact one.

Texas,
I knew what you meant. I remember your talking about the dip on one of the threads here. Not to worry, you're never ever rude:)
kadesma

Awesome!! Always looking for recipes that don't use processed foods. This sounds wonderful. Thanks!

SizzlininIN said:
Thanks for the recipe. What kind of chips will hold up to it?
Hi Sizz,
we usually use ruffels, but I like pita chips with it.

velochic said:
Awesome!! Always looking for recipes that don't use processed foods. This sounds wonderful. Thanks!
Thanks Velochic,
We love it, hope you will to.

How about whole wheat pita chips with this? Just cut, split and brush with oil before baking off for 3-5 minutes at 175C or 350f. We eat these with homemade hummus. Would work well for this recipe, too!!

Kadesma Many thanks for a great dip recipe Gramps copyied and pasted into my files
Gramps,
glad you like the recipe. We really enjoy it..We use to use the Lipton onion soup one, but it seemed so salty..When we made this the first time, everyone just couldn't stop eating:) For once there were no leftovers.
ma:)

After you uncover add a few sliced green onion for a little

extra flavor.

I saw this thread revived and I just wanted to say that we use this recipe quite often and it has become a favorite in our house for entertaining. Thanks again for the recipe.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom