Want To Make Buffalo Wings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2 Bar

Assistant Cook
I'm new to cooking as well as this forum.

The guys are coming over Saturday for the Ultimate Fighting Championship. I don't want to buy wings at the sports bar and bring them home. I'd rather try to just make some. No family recipe...just simply made in my kitchen.

Should I put the wings in the oven or on my electric grill? Do I cook them with BBQ sauce or does that go on when they are done? Should I get one of those Bob Ross paint brushes to put on the sauce?

Lil' help please. I'd rather step up from just chips and beer.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Depending on how much your buds eat and drink, I'd suggest a pound of wings per person but you can adjust for the heavy eaters. Hooter's, TGI Friday's, etc. pretty much use the same recipe: 3 parts Frank's Red Hot sauce and 1 part butter. Bake the wings at 350 for about 45 minutes and then toss the wings in a bowl with the sauce. Serve with Bleu Cheese, Ranch or whatever you like. :cool:

Hi there, you can do them on a cookie sheet in your oven. I have done lots of varieties. If you have "hot wimps" coming, try brushing the wings with mustard and sprinkling them with seasoned salt before cooking. Try brushing with Franks hot sauce before they start cooking, and then when they are done brush them again for extra flavour.

Some other choices...

Margarita

Garlic Lime It says breast, but wings would work. I would do these on a cookie sheet too.

Sweet and Sour

Hot wings

Lemonade wings These look cool. I bet they would be yummy.

If none of these strikes your fancy, try the search engine with "wings" and cruise til you find one you like. There are TONS more recipes posted. I picked some of the quicker ones for you as some can be a bit picky.

WINGS. Yes. Tasty bits of firey goodness. One of my specialties! I have experimented long and hard and here are my recommendations for wings better than any you can get out at a restaurant, IMHO.

I buy bulk frozen wing sections from Costco. Any place that has a good frozen section has large bags of unseasoned, frozen wings. They are just as good as fresh and less expensive.

Franks makes a buffalo sauce which I use exclusively. It is different from the regular Frank's hot sauce. You do not need to add butter. Trust me, you won't notice the difference.

I used to fry the wings but that is messy and the wings don't come out as tender on the inside as when you bake them. Baking takes longer but it makes a better wing. I hate scrubbing sheet pans so I bake the wings on parchment paper. I used to use aluminium foil but the wings stick like mad.

So, preheat the oven to 400F. I take a Ziploc bag and I add in some vegetable oil. Enough to coat all the wings you're gonna make. Then I add a bunch of fresh ground pepper, a dash of kosher salt, and a couple dashes of garlic powder to the oil. I would say the wings should be lightly seasoned. Then I add the frozen wings and shake that all around to evenly coat with oily seasoning. I spread them in 1 layer on the parchment paper and put em in the oven. I find that a moderately hot oven provides that nice crispy outer surface and a wonderfully moist, tender inside. To me, texture is key here. I hate wings that are even remotely gooey on the outside. When the wings start to look nice and crispy, put a pan on the stove over medium heat. Add in a generous amount of the buffalo sauce. Crack in some fresh pepper (*** Tobasco for more heat if you want). Allow the sauce to come to a simmer. At this point, remove the pan of wings from the oven. You will see oil AND browned chicken juice crusted on the parchment. Transfer the wings and those browned goodies into the hot buffalo sauce and toss to coat. Serve immediately with fresh veggies and blue cheese or ranch dressing. And some cold cervesas of course! Enjoy! :chef:

Drew

PS: Sometimes I add in a little bit of celery seeds to the sauce.

Last edited:
Buffalo Wings

Would someone tell me what these are? I thought someone would give recipe but can't find it.

These are wings!

BuffaloWingPoster.gif

In the Kitchen said:
Would someone tell me what these are? I thought someone would give recipe but can't find it.

ITK, they are the same as hot wings. Just like KFC or Popeyes chicken.

Wow

Are they chicken or really buffalo? They look much bigger than my chicken wings. The picture is really appreciated. Sorry to be so ignorant but I hear about them but reluctant to ask. You guys are sure not behind the times.

No worries! They are chicken. You know how the wing has 3 pieces? The tip, then the part with 2 bones, and then the mini-drummette. The latter 2 are used to make buffalo wings. Buffalo wings, I believe, are called that because they originated in Buffalo, NY. They are normally fried and then tossed in a hot sauce.

Drew

Fried

I thank you all for explaining. I have heard of them so often but I don't get to go to restaurants a lot so I have to bother all of you. Do you really like them fried? Could you bake them or am I being redundant in asking about baking them. Whenever I make my chicken wings I bake them then throw the sauce on. They taste okay but I think baking them eliminates most of the grease.

It depends on what kind of wings you like or want to cook.
Me I like the crispy ones that a Brazilian restaurant in Miami makes. They are just sensational! (To me at least!)
They are not gooey and are crisp with lots of flavor. They make them on a fire grill in a basket (for easier turning).
You can make them at home on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper with just salt and pepper. (Then add the "sauce" later.)
Or add with the salt and pepper a little garlic powder and or any other seasonsing you like. As like in a dry rub so to speak. Rub the pieces or toss them into a bag with the stuff then bake them.
I use the entire chicken wing sometimes. And sometimes I cut the tips off and discrard and cut the remaning into two pieces.
I like the whole thing together. I think they taste better. Don't know why just do.

you should have gone camping with us thump, when i was young. we saw all sorts of things like flying buffalo. :cool:

imo, the ONLY way to make wings, so long as you're not watching yours or your buddy's girlish figures :ohmy: , is to deep fry them, then let them cool just a bit. toss generously in a sauce made from frank's red hot, melted butter, and powdered cayenne pepper to your liking for heat.
serve with blue cheese dressing and celery sticks (not freakin carrot sticks).

HEY!!! lol im from buffalo and i have many many recipes for buffalo wings. . do you want them spicy sweet tangy? Buffalo wings are usually baked in the oven @ 400 till almost done then deep fried for a minute or 2 to get an extra crisp. then the sauce comes. let me know what kind you are interested in and ill be glad to help ya :)

So do I heat up or cook the BBQ sauce (or whatever sause I have)? Or do I take it out of the fridge and brush it on the wings? Also, I can't eat spicey wings.

2 Bar said:
Also, I can't eat spicy wings.
Then buffalo wings are not for you. Buffalo wing sauce is a spicy sauce by definition. You could put other types of sauce on, but it would not longer be buffalo.

You could put the sauce on right out of the fridge, but it is better if it is at least room temp IMO.

When you guys bake the wings, how do you let the grease run off? If you bake them in a pan with sides, they basically just boil in their own grease. If you just put them on a flat sheet pan, don't you have a mess of juice and grease in the bottom of your oven?

billmac, I put them on a rack over a cookie sheet. That way the grease drips through and the wings don't sit in it.

Back
Top Bottom