Watermelon Radish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mollyanne

Flour Child
Doesn't it just make your day when you discover something
B E A U T I F U L that you had no idea existed?
Maybe I'm the only one who has never heard of a Watermemlon Radish but, WOW ...what a surprise!

They are white round radishes with a long pinkish root and, when sliced thin, can make a stunning presentation.

Please don't laugh at me if I'm the only one who has never had the visual pleasure to experience these ;).
I can imagine them in a salad, sliced crescent-like first in a circle and then in half, with crescent shaped slices of avocado, cucumber, a purple onion
...how colorfully refreshing for a light summer salad!

Check out this link for an hors d'oeuvre recipe with chickpea salad pictured here:
Click on: VeganYumYum » Chickpea Radish Hors d’Oeuvres

Attachments

• WatermelonRadish.jpg
    WatermelonRadish.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 343
Last edited by a moderator:
I am not laughing. You are not the only one who has never heard of them. I agree they look beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

everyone point at mollyanne, laugh, and say "hoot hoot hoot"!!!! :-p:-p:-p

i grew those a few years ago. while they were pretty and just as easy to grow as other round radishes, i found the ones i grew to be fairly bland. not bad; more worth the effort for presentation than for flavour. it might just have been my soil, though.

:-p ...okay bucko...you nut
...and yw GB :)

I was wondering what they would taste like so thanks for that insight, buckytom. I might prefer the bland flavor over the better known red radish since that one has a strong hot peppery flavor...i mean, i like it but a little goes a long way. So maybe like jicama but less sweet?

I like subtle flavors and I'll bet it's good with the chickpea salad.

I grew some for the first time this year. I love them with butter or on a sandwich, just right for me.They are beautiful
kades

Back
Top Bottom