What to do with duck fat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Definitely. I prefer mallard, but then, there are those who would say that the wild duck has a stronger taste, I just find it tastes more like duck <g>. The meat has a different texture. Probably because the mallards have more muscle from all the flying they do...Now I'm wishing I'd ordered some ducklings...

Last edited:
Duck is a big favorite of mine. I've never had wild duck of any kind. Unfortunately, SO doesn't care for duck so I don't hae it very often. Once in a while I'll buy myself a boneless duck breast and pan roast it.

When I am lucky enough to have it, I'll sautee virtually anything in it. We have a mallard "farm" near here, and the one time I bought it, it was so lean that it lacked flavor! Nothing like the duck you buy in the grocery.

Last edited:
Duck is a big favorite of mine. I've never had wild duck of any kind. Unfortunately, SO doesn't care for duck so I don't hae it very often. Once in a while I'll buy myself a boneless duck breast and pan roast it.
'

C'mon up here, then. I live on the edge of a wetlands and for a couple of months a year I am woken up by thousands of the darned things every morning. You are more than welcome to have a couple of them. lol!

'

C'mon up here, then. I live on the edge of a wetlands and for a couple of months a year I am woken up by thousands of the darned things every morning. You are more than welcome to have a couple of them. lol!

Thanks for the offer, but if it involves getting up early and sitting in a cold wet duck blind for hours waiting for the critters to show up so I can shoot them, I'll pass.

I'll pass, too. Been there, done that, didn't shot a duck, froze my butt off, and I think the t-shirt was tossed in the rag bag years ago. (Hey--I ran out in the rain to bring my hens into the barn because I didn't want them getting wet today--what makes you think I could shoot a duck?)

Last edited:
I'll pass, too. Been there, done that, didn't shot a duck, froze my butt off, and I think the t-shirt was tossed in the rag bag years ago. (Hey--I ran out in the rain to bring my hens into the barn because I didn't want them getting wet today--what makes you think I could shoot a duck?)

Did you become madder than a wet hen?:rolleyes:

my mom's gingerbread cookies were unsurpassed in our circle. she ended up baking them for all our friends because she didn't want to part with her secret recipe. anna's ginger thins are a close approximation to mom's ginger cookies. i still don't have a recipe for those marvelous, melt-in-your-mouth cookies, but i do know that the "secret" ingredient was duck fat. i'm not much of a baker, but it occurs to me that the duck fat might work marvels for many other cookie varieties as well. anyone out there brave enough to put it to the test?

vitauta said:
my mom's gingerbread cookies were unsurpassed in our circle. she ended up baking them for all our friends because she didn't want to part with her secret recipe. anna's ginger thins are a close approximation to mom's ginger cookies. i still don't have a recipe for those marvelous, melt-in-your-mouth cookies, but i do know that the "secret" ingredient was duck fat. i'm not much of a baker, but it occurs to me that the duck fat might work marvels for many other cookie varieties as well. anyone out there brave enough to put it to the test?

Don't know about duck fat in cookies, but I do know that my MIL always made her pie pastry with chicken fat, I have done this as well. It makes a nice pie.

my shipment of duck fat is finally here! not to beat a dead horse i hope, talking about the pairing of potatoes and duck fat but...for those of you who have a special love for potatoes like i do, this is so worth doing: toss sliced potatoes (same thickness cuts) with sea salt, coarse black pepper, fresh or dried chives and one oz. m/l of rendered duck fat. place potatoes in baking pan in a single layer. bake uncovered in 450 degree oven for about 1/2 hour. the potatoes will get really brown and crisp if you let them. i personally prefer them soft with only minimally browned edges here and there. a simple, easy potato dish that truly shines. i am giddy with delight and feeling positively rich with my new stash of 1 1/2 oz. containers of duck fat. i already have great plans for them in my head - at this rate i'll soon need to order more.....

Gather large amounts of duck fat (50 gallons or so), bring to a boil (make very hot) and use it to disourage invading hordes from crossing your mote and trying to break down your door with a battering ram. This is usually done by pouring the hot oil from high above, on the castle walls, onto the invading horde.

Other than that, use it for duck comfit.:mrgreen:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

You mean you don't have a box of mac'n cheese for those that don't want the entree? They have to go OUT for dinner???

Normally we just make something else for the people who don't like what's made. Chicken or some such. But the hubby can't even stand the smell of duck. He worked in a factory where his job was to slaughter and clean mass numbers of them. He said it would take hours before he could get the smell out of his nose and the smell of duck, raw, cooking, cooked, still makes him nauseous. So in this case, yeah, he can go out for dinner with mom. Kind of like I'd never have my dad over to the house if I'd made something that made the whole place smell strongly of mint. Cleaning up after someone who's gotten ill doesn't exactly enhance the dining experience.

Normally we just make something else for the people who don't like what's made. Chicken or some such. But the hubby can't even stand the smell of duck. He worked in a factory where his job was to slaughter and clean mass numbers of them. He said it would take hours before he could get the smell out of his nose and the smell of duck, raw, cooking, cooked, still makes him nauseous. So in this case, yeah, he can go out for dinner with mom. Kind of like I'd never have my dad over to the house if I'd made something that made the whole place smell strongly of mint. Cleaning up after someone who's gotten ill doesn't exactly enhance the dining experience.

I'd make sure they had enough cash for a really good dinner. :) I don't like those types of reactions.

Gather large amounts of duck fat (50 gallons or so), bring to a boil (make very hot) and use it to disourage invading hordes from crossing your mote and trying to break down your door with a battering ram. This is usually done by pouring the hot oil from high above, on the castle walls, onto the invading horde.

Other than that, use it for duck comfit.:mrgreen:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

how long should i cook the invaders to achieve nicely browned, medium-rare, dark meat roasts? my mother-in-law used to use boiling water as a cooking medium for preparing such uninvited scoundrels. she served them with her famous glutenous potato bread rolls, and saved her duck fat for her confit.

Back
Top Bottom