Your Favorite Appetizer To Make

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
AllenMI ... so did you chop the mushrooms into the mixture or eliminate the mushrooms completely?
With cherry tomatoes taking over a family members garden these will be something I def. be making Paolita.
Sierra........could I use those little salad shrimp instead of the can shrimp? Do I leave them whole or chop them up?

Pinwheels: Make any kind you want.

One way:

Equal amount of cream cheese and sour cream.
Add some pimento, jalapenos, onion, and cheddar cheese.

Roll up in a burrito...cut into slices.

KAYLINDA said:
Pinwheels: Make any kind you want.

One way:

Equal amount of cream cheese and sour cream.
Add some pimento, jalapenos, onion, and cheddar cheese.

Roll up in a burrito...cut into slices.

I would make it with cream cheese and anchovies.

SizzlininIN said:
Sierra........could I use those little salad shrimp instead of the can shrimp? Do I leave them whole or chop them up?

Sure you could use salad shrimp. You might want to chop them up some since they are larger than the tiny shrimp in the can. I use the canned because I can keep a couple of cans on hand and make this recipe at the last minute if I unexpectedly get invited to a party, etc. Just for information purposes I found a list on the internet that discussed shrimp sizes.
  • Extra Colossal = Less than 10 per pound
  • Colossal = Less than 15 per pound
  • Extra Jumbo = 16 to 20 per pound
  • Jumbo = 21 to 25 per pound
  • Extra Large = 26 to 30 per pound
  • Large = 31 to 40 per pound
  • Medium Large = 36 to 40 per pound
  • Medium 41 to 50 per pound
  • Small 51 to 60 per pound
  • Extra Small 61 to 70 per pound
  • Tiny = Over 70 per pound
Here is also another favorite recipe of mine.

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7455

Last edited:
Thanks Sierra and Allen. Kaylinda......tortilla shells are really cheap I can really work with those.....thanks for the recipe.

nothing beats a fine antipasta spread... cured meats, cheeses, pickled and cured vegetables (mushrooms, peppers, tomatoes, cauliflower, beans, olives) stuffed grape leaves, humus and pita, baba ganoush, crisp flat bread, garlic bread etc.

you can make or purchase as much a variety as you like to serve. put out little plates and every one gets what they like.

Robo........I have never tried an antipasta spread nor has anyone I know ever had one at their party. I've seen cooks make them on foodnetwork and they look wonderful. However, they look like they could be quite expensive to put together.

Yes, good antipastos are pricey, but they are SO worth it!

We made one this past year that was so spectacular that we didn't want the rest of the dinner (but we forced ourselves).

One thing you might think about is to ask each guest to bring one item - the olives, a 1/4 pound of provolone, a 1/4 pound of prociutto, a small jar of imported tuna in oil, etc.

If they are good enough friends, they won't mind. :)

Lee

Attachments

• Antipasto close.JPG
    Antipasto close.JPG
    141.1 KB · Views: 205
when I have served a really big assortment at the antipasto, I make the rest of the meal light...a simple pasta with a "lite" sauce: simple marinara or putanesca, or garlic, cheese, peas and mushrooms with evoo. and finish with a salad. very Italian btw.

Smoked Salmon, Brie & Mushroom Baskets

Won Ton wrappers
Olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 pound mushrooms, finely chopped
4 or 5 cloves minced garlic
Salt and pepper
1/4 cup brie cheese
5 slices smoked salmon
Parsley

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Trim the won ton wrappers to approximately 2 1/2-inch squares with scissors. Spray a miniature muffin tin with olive oil; spray the won ton wrappers lightly, and gently press into muffin tin. Bake approximately 7 minutes. Remove from oven and cool.

In a large frying pan, melt butter; saute the mushrooms, garlic, salt, and pepper until there is no more liquid left. Remove from heat and cool; spoon into prepared won ton baskets.

For each won ton basket: Pinch off a small piece of brie cheese & place it on top of the mushrooms. Cut a triangle piece of smoked salmon and drape it on top of the cheese. Just before serving, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place into oven just long enough to melt the brie cheese. Remove from oven, sprinkle parsley on top and serve warm.

I like won tons cups because you can be creative with the fillings - seafood dip or dip of choice, pate, guacamole, etc. If using a reg size muffin tin, try placing a whole won ton skin in each cup, or overlapping two skins to look like a flower petal.

Smoked Salmon Roses

1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
1 tablespoon minced fresh dill plus whole sprigs for garnish 1 tablespoon half-and-half
16 slices (12 to 16 ounces) smoked salmon
1 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips

Combine cream cheese, horseradish, minced dill and half-and-half in small bowl. Beat until light and creamy.
Spread 1 tablespoon cream cheese mixture over each salmon slice. Roll up jelly-roll fashion. Slice each roll in half crosswise.

Arrange salmon rolls, cut sides down, on serving dish to resemble roses. Garnish each "rose" by tucking 1 pepper strip and 1 dill sprig in center.

Another idea - Cucumbers sliced & stuffed with a cream cheese/herb mixture. If any one is interested in the recipe, wave.

Last edited:
Robo410 said:
so who's having the appetizer party and when should we all show up??

luv's place, sometime this week, but you're only allowed in if you show up with cheesesticks and a good marinara. i'm craving cheesesticks!

Last edited:
SizzlininIN said:
Robo........I have never tried an antipasta spread nor has anyone I know ever had one at their party. I've seen cooks make them on foodnetwork and they look wonderful. However, they look like they could be quite expensive to put together.

they're great, sizz; i make miniature little antipasto plates for myself a lot. just some different meats and cheeses and olives and stuff on mine.

I love Pumpernickel bread dip - it is a huge hit every time I make it :)

16 oz sour cream
0,5 pkg of leek soup- knorr
box of frozem spinach- place it on a warm skillet ,set on midium high and mix until defrosted
1 round loaf of pumpernickel
1 cup walnuts , chopped

In a bowl mix sour cream with leek soup powder and spinach, season with salt and pepper and chill it .
Hollow out the center of the bread making a bowl out of it. PLace chilled mixture in the center of the bread. Use leftovers of the bread to dip in the mixture.

Delicious!!!

Paula said:
I love Pumpernickel bread dip - it is a huge hit every time I make it :)

16 oz sour cream
0,5 pkg of leek soup- knorr
box of frozem spinach- place it on a warm skillet ,set on midium high and mix until defrosted
1 round loaf of pumpernickel
1 cup walnuts , chopped

In a bowl mix sour cream with leek soup powder and spinach, season with salt and pepper and chill it .
Hollow out the center of the bread making a bowl out of it. PLace chilled mixture in the center of the bread. Use leftovers of the bread to dip in the mixture.

Delicious!!!

This looks DEEEE-LISH, Paula! Didn't know Knorr made Leek Soup. I'll have to ty that in a dip. Like pumpernickel too. Saving this for the next get-together. Thank you for sharing the recipe.:)

Back
Top Bottom