"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-13-2010, 08:08 PM   #1
Senior Cook
 
CookLikeJulia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Washington, D.C.
Posts: 479
Alfredo Sauce

My own recipe of Alfredo sauce.

1 liter of milk (UHT)
1 tablespoon of salt
1/2 tablespoon of White pepper
3 tablespoon of Dried Basil
2 table spoon of Oregano
4 Cubes of chicken stock
100 grams of Butter
300 grams of flour

Procedure.

In a sauce pan, put milk and butter and let it to boil, then add 4 cubes of chicken stock. Wait to boil and add spices (salt, white pepper, basil, and oregano). Simmer for 5 - 10 minutes.
Then, add flour little by litter until it become sticky.

You can also add some mushrooms and onions if you prefer. :)


Enjoy!

CookLikeJulia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 08:35 PM   #2
Executive Chef
 
Selkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 3,796
Alfredo Sauce

An exceedingly rich sauce created in the early 1920s by Roman restaurateur Alfredo di Lello for his famous dish fettuccine Alfredo. Alfredo sauce is classically made with heavy cream, butter, grated Parmesan, salt and pepper. Today's renditions can include additions such as egg yolks, flour and garlic. Although this sauce was created for pasta, it's now also used to dress everything from chicken to vegetables.
__________________
"Food is our common ground, a universal experience." - James Beard
Selkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 10:20 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Zhizara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 12,456
3/4 C milk
3/4 C cream cheese
3/4 C Parmesan

Melt together stirring constantly.

Quick, Easy, Tasty.
__________________

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 11:15 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 47,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
Alfredo Sauce

An exceedingly rich sauce created in the early 1920s by Roman restaurateur Alfredo di Lello for his famous dish fettuccine Alfredo. Alfredo sauce is classically made with heavy cream, butter, grated Parmesan, salt and pepper...
This is the classic recipe. I use this as well. It is so simple to make and so tasty. It's easily ready before the pasta is cooked.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 09:14 PM   #5
Master Chef
 
Rocklobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ottawa Valley, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 6,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
This is the classic recipe. I use this as well. It is so simple to make and so tasty. It's easily ready before the pasta is cooked.
This is almost what I use. But I add garlic to the butter first and give it a bit of a saute before adding some Italian white table wine and reducing it down to half. Then the cream goes in. I add the parmesan when I add the hot pasta.
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 06:26 PM   #6
Senior Cook
 
CookLikeJulia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Washington, D.C.
Posts: 479
Thanks for the response guys! Hope you enjoy it. I forgot to add the 70 grams of parmesan cheese. :D
CookLikeJulia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 05:30 PM   #7
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SC
Posts: 195
I use half and half instead of cream and also add nutmeg.
__________________
Liz
recipedirect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 08:33 AM   #8
Head Chef
 
letscook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The Finger Lakes of NY
Posts: 2,037
Zhizara, sounds interesting, have to give that one a try
__________________
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching
letscook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 09:51 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Zhizara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 12,456
It tastes just like Alfredo sauce to me, and so easy.
__________________

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 02:40 PM   #10
Head Chef
 
spork's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Landlocked in Southwest U.S.
Posts: 1,131
It's a little bit tricky because you don't want to cook it, but I highly recommend adding an egg yolk.

I'm definitely going to try Zhizara's 1:1:1 sauce with cream cheese, too. Sounds rich and delicious!
__________________
spork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 02:42 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 14,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookLikeJulia View Post
My own recipe of Alfredo sauce.

1 liter of milk (UHT)
1 tablespoon of salt
1/2 tablespoon of White pepper
3 tablespoon of Dried Basil
2 table spoon of Oregano
4 Cubes of chicken stock
100 grams of Butter
300 grams of flour

Procedure.

In a sauce pan, put milk and butter and let it to boil, then add 4 cubes of chicken stock. Wait to boil and add spices (salt, white pepper, basil, and oregano). Simmer for 5 - 10 minutes.
Then, add flour little by litter until it become sticky.

You can also add some mushrooms and onions if you prefer. :)


Enjoy!
You added in the Parm on a later post I see.

I like your recipe......Classic Alfredo sauce is just to rich for my taste, this one would work well for me. Thanks.
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 06:35 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Zhizara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 12,456
[QUOTE=spork;940013
I'm definitely going to try Zhizara's 1:1:1 sauce with cream cheese, too. Sounds rich and delicious![/QUOTE]

Thanks, Spork. It tastes just like Alfredo to me and is so easy because the cheeses melt in the milk. Let me know what you think.
__________________

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:18 AM   #13
Senior Cook
 
snickerdoodle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Quad Cities, Midwest
Posts: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
3/4 C milk
3/4 C cream cheese
3/4 C Parmesan

Melt together stirring constantly.

Quick, Easy, Tasty.
I tried this sauce on our chicken/bacon/alfredo pizza last night. It is so simple and tastes like great alfredo to me. It is rich and creamy. Thanks!
snickerdoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:34 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Zhizara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 12,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by snickerdoodle View Post
I tried this sauce on our chicken/bacon/alfredo pizza last night. It is so simple and tastes like great alfredo to me. It is rich and creamy. Thanks!
You are very welcome, Snick. I'm glad I could pass this one along.

It's one of my great finds.

It's even richer with evaporated milk. Thanks for trying it. It does sound too simple to be good, but it really works.
__________________

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:55 PM   #15
Senior Cook
 
CookLikeJulia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Washington, D.C.
Posts: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
You added in the Parm on a later post I see.

I like your recipe......Classic Alfredo sauce is just to rich for my taste, this one would work well for me. Thanks.
You can add it as well while you're cooking or boiling the sauce. :D


Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
3/4 C milk
3/4 C cream cheese
3/4 C Parmesan

Melt together stirring constantly.

Quick, Easy, Tasty.
This is the classic Alfredo sauce, mines is a variation of the Alfredo but it taste the same. :)
CookLikeJulia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:35 PM   #16
Cupcake
 
Kathleen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Mid-Atlantic, USA
Posts: 3,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by recipedirect View Post
I use half and half instead of cream and also add nutmeg.
You have my recipe!
__________________


~Kathleen

A little bit Ginger. A little bit Mary Ann.
Kathleen is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
recipe

Alfredo Sauce My own recipe of Alfredo sauce. 1 liter of milk (UHT) 1 tablespoon of salt 1/2 tablespoon of White pepper 3 tablespoon of Dried Basil 2 table spoon of Oregano 4 Cubes of chicken stock 100 grams of Butter 300 grams of flour Procedure. In a sauce pan, put milk and butter and let it to boil, then add 4 cubes of chicken stock. Wait to boil and add spices (salt, white pepper, basil, and oregano). Simmer for 5 - 10 minutes. Then, add flour little by litter until it become sticky. You can also add some mushrooms and onions if you prefer. :) Enjoy! :mrgreen: 3 stars 1 reviews
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.