Another hot sauce question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chainsawxecutioner

Washing Up
I was able to successfully figure out the basics of making homemade hot sauce. It tasted pretty good, but it was kinda watery, but I think that not adding as much vinegar will fix that with no problem.

I want to make the ultimate internal organ scorching hot sauce. I'm talking so fricken hot, it makes the Sahara Desert look like the North Pole. What kind of peppers or ingredients should I use to make that happen?

Scotch bonnet/habanero chilis.

Or buy capsaicin oil, which is supposed to be the pepper equivalent of liquid napalm.

Man after my own heart, chainsaw. Scott123 is right. To give you a friendly headstart, here's my own recipe...nice and thick. Maybe it will give you some ideas for your own.

Chernobyl Pepper Sauce (It has taken me years to get this one right.)

12 habanero peppers
2 Cups water, brought to boil
2 carrots, chopped
1 lg. onion, chopped
6 cloves of garlic, chopped
½ Tbsp. canning/kosher salt
¼ Tbsp. of finely ground fresh black pepper
1 lime, juiced
8 Tbsp red wine vinegar

NOTE: ALWAYS wear surgical-type gloves when making this!!!

First, place the habaneros in boiling water and blanch for about 30 seconds. Remove and place into a bowl of ice water. Drain and rub off the skins (discard those). Cut the habanero peppers in half and scrape away the seeds. Set aside. Add the chopped onions and carrots to the boiling water and cook until the carrots are tender. Drain vegetables.

Into your blender, combine the juice from the lime and all other ingredients. Puree until smooth. Pour into a pint jar and store in fridge. I have saved many pepper sauce jars that have narrow mouths, instead of plastic inserts (like Tabasco uses), and I refill these with this recipe. Actually, this is a great way to use up lots of the peppers at once. – I make multiple batches throughout the summer and can into pint jars. Then I open the jars and funnel into bottles (then chill them!) just before giving out as gifts during the holidays.

PS: The recipe doubles and triples most easily.

Chainsaw, please let us know how your's turns out!!!

deb, cholula is great, both the green and red sauces, but they're not that hot.
and i agree, scotch bonnet or red savina habaneros are the highest on the scoville scale of heat. kills what ails ya, the heck with curing it...

chainsawxecutioner said:
I want to make the ultimate internal organ scorching hot sauce.

Why? I just need to ask that. What's the point of debilitating heat if can't taste the flavor?????

I'm no wimp. I grow red savina habs in my garden. They are, literally, the hottest peppers on the face of the earth. I love their flavor and their heat. But "organ scorching?"

I really am interested in the WHY ...

But some of us have no problem with the heat at all and can taste the flavors perfectly fine. I'm one of them. So in my case, it's more like, Why the heck not? :D

I've been searching for the ultimate actually-hot-to-me hot sauce for years. If I have to make my own, I will. ;)

quidscribis said:
But some of us have no problem with the heat at all and can taste the flavors perfectly fine. I'm one of them. So in my case, it's more like, Why the heck not? :D

I've been searching for the ultimate actually-hot-to-me hot sauce for years. If I have to make my own, I will. ;)

If you like the flavor of habs (my personal fav) then make the sauce from the recipe above (or go to pepperfool.com for more recipes) and double the # of habs you use. try to get red savinas if you can. Omit the carrot and or sugar (it dulls the heat), but you might want to add garlic, onion, and some spices (I like allspice, bay and black pepper). Make sure you use stems and seeds. Strain before bottling.

The habs from my garden have been so hot that a small bite of one raw blistered my lip up! But the hot sauce that I make from them is the absolute best. Quite hot but full of flavor.

The liquid capsacin stuff adds serious, serious heat, but IMO detracts from the flavor. You are better off using more peppers.

Good luck!

chainsawxecutioner said:
I was able to successfully figure out the basics of making homemade hot sauce. It tasted pretty good, but it was kinda watery, but I think that not adding as much vinegar will fix that with no problem.

I want to make the ultimate internal organ scorching hot sauce. I'm talking so fricken hot, it makes the Sahara Desert look like the North Pole. What kind of peppers or ingredients should I use to make that happen?

Find Scotch Bonnets (From Jamacia) and habanero but use gloves when you cut them or you will have your hands in ice water for a week.

I think some of our friends on this board are NUTS!!! May as well go around spraying Mace or tear gas in your own eyes! :shock:

My cousin's wife loves hot food. I keep telling her hot food was invented to cover up the taste of rotten food. She's never amused, but I keep trying. :twisted:

I can never make out if Audeo wears glasses or not...

But if you are fooling around with liquid napalm like this discussion leads to, it might not be the worst idea in the world to wear eye protection as well...as dropping sour cream on your eyeballs is pretty horrid to contemplate, if things get just a "little" out of control to those without glasses...

Lifter

Lifter said:

But if you are fooling around with liquid napalm like this discussion leads to, it might not be the worst idea in the world to wear eye protection as well...as dropping sour cream on your eyeballs is pretty horrid to contemplate, if things get just a "little" out of control to those without glasses...

Lifter

...and guys? Wear gloves when handling nuclear fission peppers and take them off before you use the bathroom.

Psiguyy said:
Lifter said:

Lifter

...and guys? Wear gloves when handling nuclear fission peppers and take them off before you use the bathroom.

Yeah I learned this the hard way a few years back. Even if the peppers do not taste hot, they can still carry enough heat to do some serious damage. My brother grew some jalapenos that he gave me. The were sweet when you ate them. They really did not have any heat that I could taste at all, so I didn't bother with gloves or any other protection. BIG mistake!!! A few hours after cutting the peppers up my hands started to burn, then my eyes were burning. It got worse and worse. I had gone to the bathroom before the burn started and oh boy was that a bad thing to do. It took hours for it to start to feel better, but the next morning when I took my shower the burn came right back and even worse than before. This went on for a full week. Now I use gloves anytime I use peppers that could possibly have any heat to them.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom