Apple Brandy Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snowbawl

Assistant Cook
How do i make an apple brandy sauce? I've searched the net and all i could find was an apple sauce. Do i have to make an apple sauce first and then add the brandy(calvados)?

personally I would reduce clavados down to a syrup(au sec), and then finish it with butter.

What size quantity do you need, that is what will dictate the procedure to make it.

recipe

Chicken with Apple-Brandy Cream Sauce

3 Tablespoons butter
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
All-purpose flour
3 Golden Delicious apples - peeled, cored, and sliced
1/2 cup applejack or Calvados
1/4 cup brandy
1 cup whipping cream

Melt butter in large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Coat with flour, shaking off excess. Add chicken to skillet and cook until brown on both sides and cooked through, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer to platter. Transfer all but 1 Tablespoon butter from skillet. Add apples and both brandies; simmer over medium heat until apples are tender and liquid is slightly syrupy, about 7 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer apples to platter with chicken. Add cream to skillet; boil until thickened to sauce consistency, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Return chicken and apples to skillet and heat through, about 2 minutes. Arrange chicken on plates. Spoon apples and sauce over chicken and serve. Serves: 6.

Here's an Apple-Almond Chicken dish I used to do - the qty. is too much for home use, but it will give you the general idea of what to use - it would be wonderful with your pork.

APPLE-ALMOND CHICKEN
Recipe By : a Chef's Journey

Chicken breasts - cleaned, brined, mark, roast, cut in strips, pan, chill, & heat 350° for ~25 min. for service.
10 each apples
4 large onions, yellow or red
pinch dried thyme
Butter
---------
3 quarts chix stock
3 quarts apple cider
2 quarts heavy cream
3/4 -1 cup Apple schnaps
---------
On hand - beurre manié -1/2 softened butter/1/2 flour-drop small pcs. in sauce & stir w/whip till smooth. Repeat till desired consistency is reached. Simmer a few min. more to cook flour.
3 cups sliced almonds, toasted - for garnish

Peel, slice apples and onions and cook slowly in butter ~ 1/2 hour.
Add a pinch of dried thyme and mix in.
Set this mixture aside.

In lg. kettle reduce the chix stock and cider by 1/4 (3 + 3 = 6 qts/reduced = 4 1/2 qts)

(NOTE - EASY WAY - POUR 4 1/2 QTS. WATER IN POT, MEASURE AND MARK MEASURER, DISCARD WATER & ADD THE STOCK & CIDER)

Add heavy cream and reduce a little to thicken - for a better thickness add some of the beurre manié.
Add Apple scnhnapps and s&p to taste.
Add apple/onion mixture to the sauce at service time.

Description:
"for ~130"

Serving Ideas : ---------
at service: Ladle apple-almond sauce over chix pcs. and top with toasted almonds.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom